Politics: The Trump Impeachment Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Ukrainians understood Biden probe was condition for Trump-Zelenskiy phone call: Ukrainian adviser

When Ukrainians voted to elect comedian Volodymyr Zelenskiy as their next president in the spring of 2019, the fledgling administration was eager to coordinate a phone call with Kyiv’s most important benefactor -- the United States, according to an adviser to Zelenskiy.

But after weeks of discussions with American officials, Ukrainian officials came to recognize a precondition to any executive correspondence, the adviser said.

"It was clear that [President Donald] Trump will only have communications if they will discuss the Biden case," said Serhiy Leshchenko, an anti-corruption advocate and former member of Ukraine's Parliament, who now acts as an adviser to Zelenskiy. "This issue was raised many times. I know that Ukrainian officials understood."

The Trump administration’s alleged insistence that the two leaders discuss a prospective investigation into Biden, one of the president’s political opponents, casts his July 25 conversation with Zelenskiy in a new light.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
White House moved records of president's conversations with foreign officials on to separate computer system

The complaint also alleges a pattern of obfuscation at the White House, in which officials moved the records of some of Mr Trump’s communications with foreign officials onto a separate computer network from where they are normally stored, this person said.

The whistleblower alleges that is what officials did with Mr Trump’s 25 July call with Mr Zelensky, an action that alarmed the intelligence community inspector general and prompted him to request that the White House retain records of the Mr Zelensky call.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I wish I could claim originality for this one:

This wasn't quid pro quo, it was quid amateur quo.

(Kinda hard to say - still accurate).

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
We got a 'summarized' transcript of the call. I'm guessing that there may still be an actual recording of the entire conversation. This recording, if it still exists, may turn out to be Trump's version of the Nixon tapes.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
here is the whistleblower's complaint

link to pdf
That is... very bad. The juicy stuff is in the classified appendix, but the circumstantial evidence alone is pretty damning. If the impeachment proceedings can ascribe motive to Trump denying foreign aid in exchange for election interference, I honestly think he's toast. Even this Senate has to switch into cover-thine-ass mode at some point.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
That is... very bad. The juicy stuff is in the classified appendix, but the circumstantial evidence alone is pretty damning. If the impeachment proceedings can ascribe motive to Trump denying foreign aid in exchange for election interference, I honestly think he's toast. Even this Senate has to switch into cover-thine-ass mode at some point.

there is a GOP "operative" (whatever that means) claiming that GOP Senators have him believing that if the impeachment vote is secret 30 Republican Senators will vote to impeach. I can't decide if this is just a strategy to try to convince the Dems that a secret vote is ok or not. The D's want this all public so they can campaign against those who chose to cover for Trump. Going to be interesting watching it play out

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Also, can we just take a step back and look at the geopolitical picture for a sec.

Trump has been spending months trying to get Ukraine to actively interfere in the 2020 election, seeking a way to implicate Ukraine in the 2016 election interference, and denying them military aid to oppose Russia's advancement into their territory.

Seems very favorable to Putin, yes? This whole thing is bonkers.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
We got a 'summarized' transcript of the call. I'm guessing that there may still be an actual recording of the entire conversation. This recording, if it still exists, may turn out to be Trump's version of the Nixon tapes.
It has already been explained in this thread that they do not record phone calls between foreign leaders, they only have note takers on the line. See post #27.

EDIT: here’s the link from that post.
Trump's ‘transcript’ of Ukraine call unlikely to be verbatim

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.