Question: Is it time to change punters?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
This is what we have on roster:
Jack Martin out of Mobile, a freshman ( Curious about him)
Tripp Slyman out of Huntsville, AL redshirt Freshman
Ty Perine is a PK out of Prattville, AL (he's good, but not ready)

If we have will to do PK, I'm not sure if we will see Slyman on the field sometime this fall.... Heard good thing about this kid. He averaged 41 yards his senior year... and is very good at directing the punts. He has done some PK duties as well.

Doubt Saban will change the punt duties yet... But at same time.. he may decide to use the bye week to take a long look at the punters.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is what we have on roster:
Jack Martin out of Mobile, a freshman ( Curious about him)
Tripp Slyman out of Huntsville, AL redshirt Freshman
Ty Perine is a PK out of Prattville, AL (he's good, but not ready)

If we have will to do PK, I'm not sure if we will see Slyman on the field sometime this fall.... Heard good thing about this kid. He averaged 41 yards his senior year... and is very good at directing the punts. He has done some PK duties as well.

Doubt Saban will change the punt duties yet... But at same time.. he may decide to use the bye week to take a long look at the punters.
Bernier?

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Saban sees what they are doing in practice, so he would know better than us.
True. But some kids are "gamers" who do better in the actual game than in practice, and some kids are just the opposite. They look all-SEC in practice but tense up when they're in front of 90,000 screaming fans. Sometimes you never know until you put them out there and see what they can do.

We only punted twice against Ole Miss, but the average was 30 yards. That's not good for big-time college football.

Then again, as Padreruf said, we don't have to worry about out kicking our coverage.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Just don’t punt. Seriously, give Tua 4 downs
I mentioned this to some folks this past weekend. If we are on the plus side of the field, I would go for it everytime unless it was a chip shot field goal. So basically anything from the 30 yard line out would be 4 down territory on the plus side of the field.

Additionally, I'd probably go for 2 everytime also. If you just get half of the 2 point conversions it's the same as making the PAT every time.

To stick with the thread title, I saw today where Alabama is ranked 128 in punting. Really unacceptable to be ranked that low in anything..

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Look on the bright side...we have few returns against us and he can kick it inside the 20 and not reach the end zone from midfield.
Look on the really bright side - 'Bama only punts when Mac Jones comes into the game, so pretend all punts "generated" by Mac's offense are actually quick-kicks and the net yardage is inconsequential and secondary to DeLong (rhymes with "Punts Like He's Wearing a Thong") getting it off in the first place.

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
I mentioned this to some folks this past weekend. If we are on the plus side of the field, I would go for it everytime unless it was a chip shot field goal. So basically anything from the 30 yard line out would be 4 down territory on the plus side of the field.

Additionally, I'd probably go for 2 everytime also. If you just get half of the 2 point conversions it's the same as making the PAT every time.

To stick with the thread title, I saw today where Alabama is ranked 128 in punting. Really unacceptable to be ranked that low in anything..
Please define a chip shot field goal - inside the 10 from the middle of the field?

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I said this Saturday. Especially 4 and 5 or less, but it really does not matter. As explosive as our O is, I like our chances to convert most of the time.
Several years ago there was a HS coach who had a tremendous record -- and he never punted. Even when deep in his territory he went for it. Reasoning was that the mathematical odds were better for him to score than to punt the ball back to the other team. Honestly, once we pass our 40, if it is less than 10 yards I would go for it. If we fail and they score, we have saved some time for our offense to score...barring injury (ugh) we can outscore anyone in CFB.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Might keep our D off of the field a little bit...:MUSICHEAD: on TideFans.com
Several years ago there was a HS coach who had a tremendous record -- and he never punted. Even when deep in his territory he went for it. Reasoning was that the mathematical odds were better for him to score than to punt the ball back to the other team. Honestly, once we pass our 40, if it is less than 10 yards I would go for it. If we fail and they score, we have saved some time for our offense to score...barring injury (ugh) we can outscore anyone in CFB.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I did another Google search...the coach is Kevin Kelley, the head coach at Pulaski Academy in Little Rock, Arkansas. He is considered an offensive genius in football...says that statistics show that if at least 3 people touch the football on one play it has a high probablity of being a big play. Layne Hatcher was his most recent protege...yes, the Bama QB of the 2018 who just threw for 440 yards in his first game at ASU -- Arkansas State.

Note: 3 QB's threw for 400+ yards on Saturday who were in the Alabama QB room last season: Hatcher, Tua and Jalen. Wow!!!

Last edited:

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
We punt so little, I forgot we had a punter...:biggrin2:
kyallie would have to confirm this, but as with prized racehorses, the NCAA has mandated that as long as Tua's zipping tight spirals to five route runners of the apocalypse, 'Bama must handicap the odds by putting the punter in a lead boot. Of course, since that rule goes into effect next week, the punting average is almost sure to improve...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
We don't need a punter that can punt those high 50yrds+ punts..I'd just assume we find someone on the team that can punt those weird low line drive type punts that bounces for 40 - 50yrds.. Surely with all the talent we have on the team one of our players can do that..

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Our Punting has been poor to laughable for a couple of years.
We can do better. I'll bet we have guys in other positions who can beat the Punting average we have right now.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
We'll see another punter in two weeks. Below is from Jess' wrapup in the above sticky. Dead on as always:

"It was about this time last year Alabama started to look Mike Bernier’s way, and Bernier is still on the Alabama roster. So, too, is walk-on Ty Perine, who put on a show in warmups Saturday both before the game and at halftime. DeLong, of course, is on scholarship, and sometimes that results in getting the benefit of many doubts. But Alabama should have seen enough by now to know that a change probably needs to be made again."

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
We don't need a punter that can punt those high 50yrds+ punts..I'd just assume we find someone on the team that can punt those weird low line drive type punts that bounces for 40 - 50yrds.. Surely with all the talent we have on the team one of our players can do that..
I've thought the same thing.
I don't care if the best punter is a QB, or a big burly Linebacker.
I just want someone/anyone who can kick 40 yards.
Maybe someone like Lia could add an additional threat.
Will he pass, or will he kick??
Has anyone seen Tua, or Lia kick?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.