Game Thread: Destiny or History (Game 5 NLDS: Cards @ Braves Winner takes all)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The Red Sox had the curse of The Bambino.

The Cubs had the curse of the goat.

The Braves have the curse of John Hart. Until everyone that has ties to him is gone, the curse will remain. And they deserve it.
I call it the Mark Wohlers curse. Had we not given up the tying run in the 8th in game 4 then we probably win the 1996 WS and Torre is canned by Steinberer and we steal 1999 WS as well.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Just saw interview with Flaherty and he was asked about hitting Acuna. No doubt in my mind now that he targeted Acuna. Braves should have beaned him when he got up. What did they have to lose at that point?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Truth is that Acuna deserved to get dusted for acting an idiot. That being said, he is still “your guy, your teammate” and why we didn’t plunk Flaherty his last at bat is beyond me. The game wasn’t in doubt and if the pitcher and Snit get run, what does it matter?

Hell, Flaherty was EXPECTING to get plunked if you watch him. If that didn’t tell you his hitting Acuna intentional, I don’t know what does.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Truth is that Acuna deserved to get dusted for acting an idiot. That being said, he is still “your guy, your teammate” and why we didn’t plunk Flaherty his last at bat is beyond me. The game wasn’t in doubt and if the pitcher and Snit get run, what does it matter?

Hell, Flaherty was EXPECTING to get plunked if you watch him. If that didn’t tell you his hitting Acuna intentional, I don’t know what does.
Agree on all points. That said, Ozuna and Martinez also acted like fools in prior games so neither should be yapping about respecting the game or other players.

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Also, as much as we want to bang on Acuna, he was really the only one who produced. I hate hotdogging and hope he’s got it out of his system but I’m afraid we will have to see more of it next year.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The Atlanta Braves are the George Costanza of American sports.

Which means it’s time to do the exact opposite of every instinct we have.

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Went to bed last night with Kershaw coming into LAD/WAS game with 3-1 lead thinking LA had it. Woke up this morning to find out Kershaw gave up back to back HR and Wash. won 7-3 in 10.

Thus, I postulate:

LAD epic collapse > ATL meltdown

... With a mitigating factor of now WAS advances :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I still have the Rays to pull for, thanks to the Montgomery connection but, the Astros will probably end that tonight.

And right on cue....Tehran up in the pen. The game is over. Leave ODay in and get this over.
The game was over before there were 2 outs in the top of the first. No body comes back from that mess, not even the mighty Yankees.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Went to bed last night with Kershaw coming into LAD/WAS game with 3-1 lead thinking LA had it. Woke up this morning to find out Kershaw gave up back to back HR and Wash. won 7-3 in 10.

Thus, I postulate:

LAD epic collapse > ATL meltdown

... With a mitigating factor of now WAS advances :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Two signs of hope and happiness out of that

1) The Dodgers are officially bigger chokers

2) Washington shows patience and good acquisitions beats curses. Really look at the Nationals's post season history before last night. They have far more epic and flukey chokes than the Braves have had in recent history. So it can be done.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I still have the Rays to pull for, thanks to the Montgomery connection but, the Astros will probably end that tonight.

The game was over before there were 2 outs in the top of the first. No body comes back from that mess, not even the mighty Yankees.
That was my point. After the first inning, it was over. There is NO strategy in removing O’Day and bringing in Tehran. Just leave O’Day in to play out the string.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Some radio folks this morning proposed the question. Would you rather get blown out like the Braves did or lose like the Dodgers did?
Both have their own unique agony. For the Braves it is mostly humiliation, most probably prefer to fail like the Dodgers who's pain is piercing and penetrating, who played well but faltered at the finish line with better options at their disposal. Likely sentiment - Roberts' desire for Kershaw to have success at crunch time - being their stumbling block. Hard not to sympathize with Roberts, though he should not have done it. But now the Dodgers don't owe CK anything else along these lines - they've fully expressed their appreciation on the firing line.

Freeman is another story: publicly called out his team's great player (IMO, should have kept it in house), then fails spectacularly at the plate multiple times where just a fly ball or a properly placed grounder would have likely produced a series ending run (usually Acuna on third), then in game 5, though a good fielder, boots an inning ending DP grounder that would have kept the score at 1-0 rather than leading to 10-0. Hopefully, he can recover - from a distance he, like CK, seems to be a great guy. Certainly, not all on any one player, there were plenty of times where others could have come through on the mound or at the plate or on the base paths (e.g. Acuna in game one. But his hustle was great thereafter.).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.