2019 MLB playoffs thread

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
You are probably right. I am just too angry at myself for allowing myself to believe in the disaster of a franchise again. I am pushing that anger off on others who do not deserve it. Thanks for keeping it real. I just need to take a step back again.
I understand, I really do, it was tough to swallow - again. :smile:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
You are probably right. I am just too angry at myself for allowing myself to believe in the disaster of a franchise again. I am pushing that anger off on others who do not deserve it. Thanks for keeping it real. I just need to take a step back again.
I am right there with you. I had made plans on attending a NLCS game and possibly World Series. They crushed me again. I don't know why I keep letting them do it to me.

I also think the Astros win it all. After hearing what the Cards said in the locker room I hope they get swept in 4 blowouts.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
How ironic is it that former Brave Anibal Sanchez is no hitting the Cards through seven innings?

I was surprised by him being their game one starter. My Cardinal friend told me this afternoon (seriously) “he’ll give us fits. We struggle against off speed pitchers.”
Looks like he was right.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
How ironic is it that former Brave Anibal Sanchez is no hitting the Cards through seven innings?

I was surprised by him being their game one starter. My Cardinal friend told me this afternoon (seriously) “he’ll give us fits. We struggle against off speed pitchers.”
Looks like he was right.
Washington could save Stras and Schezer for Game 3 & 4 and be in great shape if the Nats hold on. I just don’t think the Cards have the team that can beat the Nats.

They really just took advantage of our dumb pitching mistakes and won the series that way. The Nats have a lineup and pitching rotation that can give you hell. I know Corbin got blasted by the Dodgers, but what #3 and #4 guy didn’t get blasted by that lineup?

So you really need to be careful at where you use Flaherty and Wainwright if the cards want a chance to win the series because it’s going to take some really uncharacteristic pitching by the Nats and uncharacteristic hitting by the cards to beat the 3 man Rotation of the Nats

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Nats take game 1. I’m calling for this series to be over in 4 or 5. The Cards don’t have the lineup or the starting pitching to deal with this.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Nats take game 1. I’m calling for this series to be over in 4 or 5. The Cards don’t have the lineup or the starting pitching to deal with this.
This is what post-season baseball has become. The least worthy team in the NL will likely make the WS because the Braves and Dodgers both wet the bed, just like they have both done for 30 years.

The Yankees and Astros are playing the WS right now, because the actual WS is going to be a complete joke.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This is what post-season baseball has become. The least worthy team in the NL will likely make the WS because the Braves and Dodgers both wet the bed, just like they have both done for 30 years.

The Yankees and Astros are playing the WS right now, because the actual WS is going to be a complete joke.
The Nationals had the 3rd best record in the NL. I think if we are being honest, the Nationals were probably the best team in the NL east but the month of May put them in a hole they couldn’t fully come back from.

The Stros and Yankees have better pieces than the Nats but the Nats have a more complete team.

How you beat the Nats is get to their bullpen and limit their explosive offense. I think everyone is going to have a hard time with both.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The Nationals had the 3rd best record in the NL. I think if we are being honest, the Nationals were probably the best team in the NL east but the month of May put them in a hole they couldn’t fully come back from.
Nope - they had 7 games with the Braves in September and lost 5 of them. The Braves were the better team. They shut it down when they clinched the division and were not able to start the engines again.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Nope - they had 7 games with the Braves in September and lost 5 of them. The Braves were the better team. They shut it down when they clinched the division and were not able to start the engines again.
What costed the Nats was their bullpen. Specifically in key games vs the Braves and the entire 13 games they lost to Miami. But their starting rotation is light years better than the Braves, their lineup is comparable to the Braves, and they have a better closer.

Sure the Braves won 5 out of 7 vs them in September, but if you look back at the All Star Break most Braves wins over them were pure baseball luck.

I just don’t think the Nats are this team that is lucky to be here, and is more of a really good team that was unlucky to be in a tough division.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
What costed the Nats was their bullpen. Specifically in key games vs the Braves and the entire 13 games they lost to Miami. But their starting rotation is light years better than the Braves, their lineup is comparable to the Braves, and they have a better closer.

Sure the Braves won 5 out of 7 vs them in September, but if you look back at the All Star Break most Braves wins over them were pure baseball luck.

I just don’t think the Nats are this team that is lucky to be here, and is more of a really good team that was unlucky to be in a tough division.
The Braves have 4 significantly better players in the field, play better defense and have a better bullpen. After the All Star Break, and especially after the trades to strengthen their bullpen, the Braves were just better. You can believe otherwise if you like, but head to head play is where the only real proof lies, and the Braves dominated them late in the season, when the games mattered the most.

Are the Nats a better playoff team? Maybe. But that is because the playoffs are a totally different sport. You only need 3 starters. You play small ball and use single batter/pitcher match-ups. You go to the bullpen earlier, even in a shutout. Totally different game.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Of course the Nats have the better starters, that’s not even debatable IMO. The Braves had the deeper lineup during the season, until the injury bug hit late.

Honestly, Braves need to clean house with starters. Keep Fried and Soroka but, say see ya to everyone else. Keuchel, Teheran and Folty are not worth the money for the inconsistencies.

The bullpen, I wouldn’t mind seeing Greene, Martin and Melancon back. I like Newcomb and Tomlin as well. Jackson better not put on a Braves jersey again.

I hope we can re-sign Donaldson but, I think he earned himself a good paycheck this year that will be too rich for the Braves. Good for him though, he was great. Maybe he wants to stay enough to pass on some other offers but, no one can blame him if he decides to chase the money.

Both teams got off to a slow start and both played great from June thru September.

Records from June to the end of the season:
63-38 Braves
69-36 Nats

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The Nats really just beat the Cards 6-0 through 2 games. The one run was a misjudged ball by the center fielder. Annibal and Sherzer no hit that linup deep within both games and let the Nats avoid having to send in the bullpen.

The cards have their ace on the mound game 3, but the problem is Stras is the pitcher he will face. If Nats win game 3 then Hudson will either face Corbin or Annibal in Game 4. The Cards are really paying for their sin in riding Flaherty long in a 13-0 game. Karma

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The Braves have 4 significantly better players in the field, play better defense and have a better bullpen. After the All Star Break, and especially after the trades to strengthen their bullpen, the Braves were just better. You can believe otherwise if you like, but head to head play is where the only real proof lies, and the Braves dominated them late in the season, when the games mattered the most.

Are the Nats a better playoff team? Maybe. But that is because the playoffs are a totally different sport. You only need 3 starters. You play small ball and use single batter/pitcher match-ups. You go to the bullpen earlier, even in a shutout. Totally different game.
H2H the Braves are better but they avoided Sherzer and Stras for most of the year. Most of their wins are off of Corbin and the bullpen.

I would say Eaton maybe the best player out of the two teams if you don’t factor in the pitchers. Sure the Braves have the better lineup but it’s not by much.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Of course the Nats have the better starters, that’s not even debatable IMO. The Braves had the deeper lineup during the season, until the injury bug hit late.

Honestly, Braves need to clean house with starters. Keep Fried and Soroka but, say see ya to everyone else. Keuchel, Teheran and Folty are not worth the money for the inconsistencies.

The bullpen, I wouldn’t mind seeing Greene, Martin and Melancon back. I like Newcomb and Tomlin as well. Jackson better not put on a Braves jersey again.

I hope we can re-sign Donaldson but, I think he earned himself a good paycheck this year that will be too rich for the Braves. Good for him though, he was great. Maybe he wants to stay enough to pass on some other offers but, no one can blame him if he decides to chase the money.

Both teams got off to a slow start and both played great from June thru September.

Records from June to the end of the season:
63-38 Braves
69-36 Nats
Agree with much of what you said, in particular regarding starters and bullpen personnel; also about the Braves lineup being superior to Nats til late, as well as JD. Will say that the record you posted is a little misleading since the Braves kind of shut it down, losing 5 of last 6, after they clinched early, but the Nats had to play to the end. By July or so, I thought the Nats would overtake the Braves for the Division title but they showed great resilience, especially after the initial disasters with the bullpen acquisitions. The Braves were 61-33 .649 from June til they clinched; the Nats were .657 til end of season.

The Braves lost an amazing one of their last 17 series (2 of 3 to Phil late) until they clinched and this included 3 series with the Nats (7-3), 3 with the then hot Mets, 3 with Phillies, 1 with the Dodgers, Twins and Cubs. They split 2 4 game series. Frankly their offense ceased being relentless after Swanson and Markakis went down; also McCann missed time, as did Culberson and Inciarte was a bigger loss than most realize, though he did not play much the entire year (he is greatly under appreciated - .285 lifetime hitter and great outfielder in a position that matters a lot). They got a bunch of clutch hits from the new subs and bench players but it was not unusual to score 5 runs on 6 hits.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I knew this was going to happen.
Yeah me too. The sad thing is the Braves matched up better vs them.

I think I knew the Cards were outgunned when the Braves bullpen owned them for most of the series. Really even with the Jackson - Martin- Melancon debacle in Game 1 the Braves owned the Cards. It was more because of a cold offense that the Braves are sitting at home right now wondering at what might have been. The Nats have more consistent hitters and hitters that will take a two out single and a 9 pitch at bat over swinging for the fences every time.

Really it boils down to smart hitting and base running. The Cards got away with doing the same stupid things that the Braves did because they were less stupid, but now they are facing a smart team with a better rotation. Case and point is when tonight Ozuna doubled to lead off the 2nd, then tried to run on a comebacker to Stras. Against the Braves he got away with it because the Braves play easy out baseball. When Stras held the ball and ran him down himself you kinda saw the difference between a playoff team and a playoff participant. Then you get to the whole Flaherty and Wainwright situation, the Braves constantly tried to play let’s beat them in the 7th because they will be tired and throw us a cookie. The Nats attacked attacked attacked and pushed the issue early and often. The Nats have outscored the Cards 13-2.

I know it is possible that the Cards can replicate the 2004 BoSox and win the series 4-3, but it’s way more of a long shot because that was a BoSox team that deserved to be there, and this is a Cards team that is very lucky to be here.

But it kinda suits the Cards right after that video.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.