Link: Coach Nick Saban Show: Interview with Pete Golding

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
I find it interesting to hear Coach Saban's thoughts on Pete Golding, given the thoughts from many that Pete needs to go. He talks about how he feels about Pete (apparently filmed after the IB during his interview by Jim Dunaway) and then there is an interview with Pete filmed before the IB. The section on Pete starts about 11:30. The link below should take you right to it.

https://youtu.be/GEcHX0Ode-w?t=689

Given Coach Saban's previously stated desire to have some stability in the coaching staff, I doubt that we have a change at DC (as much as some people want it to happen).

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Wow, he's young. I also got the vibe that Saban's opinion on all the injuries and the impact it had on the lack of success of the defense differs from many on here (including my own opinion). If I had to give an answer now. I'm thinking Golding is secure in his job for at least another year. But seeing how young he is I consider him much like a freshman or sophomore player. His development and learning in the offseason is as crucial, if not more, than the players.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Wow, he's young. I also got the vibe that Saban's opinion on all the injuries and the impact it had on the lack of success of the defense differs from many on here (including my own opinion). If I had to give an answer now. I'm thinking Golding is secure in his job for at least another year. But seeing how young he is I consider him much like a freshman or sophomore player. His development and learning in the offseason is as crucial, if not more, than the players.
I wonder if Saban felt he was farther along in the learning curve than Tosh Lupoi

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I wonder if Saban felt he was farther along in the learning curve than Tosh Lupoi
Seeing that Saban has forgotten more football than I know. I will defer to his decision as the best one if he does decide to keep Golding on board as DC. It very well maybe Saban is laying a young foundation of coaches that he knows will have to get some years under their belt before they become a serious candidate for head coaching positions. Compared to hiring an older more experienced DC that after one year will (once again) be gone. Maybe Saban feels this full season and one off season is enough to get Golding and his other young coaches seasoned to be very good coaches but still too young to be hired away as HC's. Hell , I don't know. Trying to make sense of it. LOL!

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Seeing that Saban has forgotten more football than I know. I will defer to his decision as the best one if he does decide to keep Golding on board as DC. It very well maybe Saban is laying a young foundation of coaches that he knows will have to get some years under their belt before they become a serious candidate for head coaching positions. Compared to hiring an older more experienced DC that after one year will (once again) be gone. Maybe Saban feels this full season and one off season is enough to get Golding and his other young coaches seasoned to be very good coaches but still too young to be hired away as HC's. Hell , I don't know. Trying to make sense of it. LOL!
Very plausible...………...I have to defer to him as well. We don't get a lot of Bama news over here in Georgia, so any insight I can glean from this site helps when trying to make heads or tails of what goes on

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia
This line of thinking makes as much sense as anything else, if not more.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I trust that Saban, who has forgotten more about coaching and leading other coaches than I'll ever know, knows the right answer.

But we'll all know in 12 months (or less) whether this is the right decision or not.

My gut instinctively dislikes having a guy with training wheels as DC.

• Haha
Reactions: howmag and The Ols

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I trust that Saban, who has forgotten more about coaching and leading other coaches than I'll ever know, knows the right answer.

But we'll all know in 12 months (or less) whether this is the right decision or not.

If Saban wants to keep him, I wonder if he’d be willing to get someone else to be Co DC and pay them the same salary... they have the money. Seems Golding needs help during game situations.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If Saban wants to keep him, I wonder if he’d be willing to get someone else to be Co DC and pay them the same salary... they have the money. Seems Golding needs help during game situations.
If Golding stays, that needs to be Saban. Alabama deserves that much.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
If Golding stays, that needs to be Saban. Alabama deserves that much.
I’ve mentioned it a couple times. It seems like with Kirby CNS was in his hip pocket on the sideline.
Does anyone know if Golding is signaling in the calls/adjustments himself or relaying through the headset for someone else to signal in? Kirby would be animated signaling like crazy. I wonder if there is a delay in the information getting to the field these days?

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I’ve mentioned it a couple times. It seems like with Kirby CNS was in his hip pocket on the sideline.
Does anyone know if Golding is signaling in the calls/adjustments himself or relaying through the headset for someone else to signal in? Kirby would be animated signaling like crazy. I wonder if there is a delay in the information getting to the field these days?
I'm pretty sure Golding is signaling in the calls.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Well, I may be wrong, but I have felt all along that CNS wanted to get some stability and believed in his ability to teach his coaches. As much as this year has seemed to be a work in progress for the coaches, especially CPG, I don't think we can discount the effect all of the injuries had after losing 7 juniors to this past draft (not to mention the defections).

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn

Yep...The resume is a concern to me. I know that CNS brought Smart and Muschamp along as young coaches. I get that, but those guys came from a good program into SEC coaching. And I feel certain top notch Coordinators arent on just any corner in town, but I just can,t see this working out. During the season...I kept hearing that the Defense had issues...but most of these were "fixable"....Ok..well...we still got 'em. Don't want to write a book here. We all heard all that. We also know those issues did not get fixed. Fixing those issues was Coach Golding's cross to bear if I understand chain of command. I never really thought we belonged in the top 4 BECAUSE of the issues we still have. CNS is an extremely competent individual in whatever he applies his skills toward. So...I am ready for Baseball. I detest Basketball so there's that. Although I do hope Bama shows marked improvement there.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Given Saban's comments, I have to wonder if it's the players not picking up the scheme, no matter how much coaching they received. Given the well documented complexities of this defense, we may have some players that it is just mentally out of their reach.

ROTYDE

All-American
Nov 10, 2003
Muscle Shoals got the Swampers
Ultimately we know who is the boss and really in charge of the D.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
What about Charles Kelly and Sunseri? Both are reputed as defensive gurus

like Crimsonaudio, I have some doubts about PG, but Saban is the boss so I will defer to him

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.