The Mandolorian

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
So I finally got around to trying Disney+. The Mandolorian is actually quite good. Well acted and shot. Story has been solid thus far. Really reminds me of weekly western television show where our hero rides into town and fixes a problem before riding off into the sunset.

Perhaps there is a critique about how you almost can't just do a show of this quality without it having some existing property plastered on top of it, but regardless the show is quality.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
A lot of people my age and younger probably wouldn't recognize that commonality but I was at my grandparent's house quite a bit during the summer growing up.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
After the first episode, my mind said, "Clint Eastwood", all the way. Stranger comes into town, cleans up the mess and moves on. Just enough SW familiarities to keep you grounded as to where you are. I like this show. I'm an old guy, with my recollections of tv going back to the '50s when it was just beginning to get inexorably rooted in family life. So nothing new here with Mando's story, but it's a fun way to tell a familiar story.

"IT IS THE WAY!"

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
This is the way Star Wars is meant to be produced. Love the show and it harkens back to the western in space originals. I have spoken.

Reactions: Jon

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Loving this series so far.

I wouldn't have put it together on my own, but it resonated with me immediately when y'all reference the old TV western - that's exactly what it reminds me.

Reactions: BamaNation

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
or they just didn't like a show you like. People have different tastes. You like orange, no one else here does.

I have never seen the show nor will I ever.
I get not liking the show, but they elected to pick on a structural issue it shares with a lot of shows considered classics. Star Trek? Firefly?

Does every show need a complex overarching plot?

Not to mention we're only 6 episodes in and they might still get that.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
A lot of people my age and younger probably wouldn't recognize that commonality but I was at my grandparent's house quite a bit during the summer growing up.
I told my son (19) that Mando reminded me of Clint Eastwood. He said that Boba Fett was based on the "Man With No Name" films and so this must be too.

Edit: Based on might not quite be correct. I think modeled after or influenced by might be more accurate descriptions of what he told me.

• Thank You
Reactions: rgw

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Oh man, I should have checked this thread sooner its been bothering me. I couldn't figure out what it was but I knew the style of the show reminded me of some other show I just couldn't put my finger on it.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
spaghetti westerns and old samurai movies are the basis for this entire show. Series has been mostly great. Last night and a few other episodes have been near perfect. Last nights director has the Obi Wan series coming next, I love both of her episodes this year so am expecting great things with that series as well

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Love it, love it, love it! I’m waiting to watch the newest one so I don’t have as much time between the cliffhanger and the finale.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I get not liking the show, but they elected to pick on a structural issue it shares with a lot of shows considered classics. Star Trek? Firefly?

Does every show need a complex overarching plot?

Not to mention we're only 6 episodes in and they might still get that.
One of the things I like is that there's not a lot of "talking." I despise the mod shows that think it's all clever dialog that makes the show. They're tiresome to watch / listen to. AND NOBODY in my life talks that much (thankfully). The Mandalorian talks only when necessary and says very little. By saying very little and only to a very few, he speaks very loudly with action. Plus...there's BABY YODA!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.