Which of the playoff contenders has the best shot at the title?

Which team has the best shot at the title?

• Total voters

Tubafore

Scout Team
Dec 13, 2018
Huntsville, AL
Been thinking about this for a while. With 3 unbeatens and a few others in the mix for the number 4 slot (like Utah, currently down by 20 in the 2nd, Oklahoma, and Baylor), it'll be an interesting, but stress-free, post season with us not in it.

So, of the contenders which team do you think has the best shot at the title?

My 2 cents: I'm going to pull for the SEC teams, but I am not convinced that they really can win it. LSU has the offense, but are a wet paper sack on defense. Georgia reminds me of our offense in the 2009 season which wasn't exactly overwhelming, but they seem to have the defense.

Ohio State is probably the likeliest candidate as they have an offense roughly on par with LSU but a better defense. Clemson has shown nothing but that won't count them out. Oklahoma has Jalen (whom I still claim) and a better-by-Big-12-standards defense, but I don't see it happening there. Baylor, see Oklahoma.

Then there's the PAC 12ish teams. Utes are moving the ball on Oregon, but so did Auburn...doesn't really tell me much.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Ohio State is a complete team.

I have a feeling Clemson is as well, they just haven't faced anything near their level in order to be truly tested.

LSU doesn't have a good enough defense, and I've been feeling more and more like they are going to go down against Georgia.

Those 4 teams are your only legit contenders, IMO. None of the other teams would beat these 4.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I'll say Clemson. Ohio State has to deal with the #1 seed jinx and I think Clemson is really hungry to have consecutive 15-0 championship seasons which may never be duplicated.

• Angry
Reactions: B1GTide

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
I am really shocked by the poll results so far. I voted tOSU because I think they are a complete team but I almost voted LSU because their offense is scoring so much. I chose Ohio and assumed when I saw the results it would be close to tied between them and LSU. Instead it's nowhere close.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Ohio State is the most, maybe only, complete team.

LSU is suspect on defense.
Clemson is untested.
Georgia is suspect on offense.
Utah hasn't been tested and may not win their game against Oregon.
Oklahoma defense is suspect and Jalen seems to have regressed the last few games.
Wisconsin is suspect on offense and is not as good defensively as they have been in previous years.
Baylor....really?

OrlandoBama

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 1, 2019
Ohio State: looks to be a complete team. Solid in all 3 phases of the game
LSU: that offense is prolific and Burrow runs it well, but that defense is very suspect. Not sure they’ll hold up against tougher competition
OU: Jalen has been turnover prone recently, and that defense I’ll never trust
Clemson: untested so we can’t really say where they are. They do seem to turn it on come playoffs time so they’d be my 1A
UGA: they just don’t seem to have “it”. I doubt they could score enough to keep up. Fromm hasn’t been impressive.
Baylor : LOL

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I'll say Clemson. Ohio State has to deal with the #1 seed jinx and I think Clemson is really hungry to have consecutive 15-0 championship seasons which may never be duplicated.
I'll go with the Buckeyes, but if Clemson does do it again, they need to put an asterisk by their name. They will officially be the most rested, easiest road in team around.

Tubafore

Scout Team
Dec 13, 2018
Huntsville, AL
Y'all raise a good point I'd forgotten: No #1 team has won the national championship in the playoff era. Another interesting (to me) tidbit is that the team that gives up the fewest points in the first round has won all but 1 of the CFP national championships.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
I think LSU handles UGA pretty easily and then jumps to #1. At this point it looks the one seed will play the Big 12 champ which will be a mismatch regardless of who it is.

I don’t see Clemson losing in the playoffs, and frankly, I think they win by two scores against both teams they will face. I think they are that good.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
About right now I wonder if Smart is kicking himself for letting Fields transfer rather than making the same decision Swinney and Saban in going with the younger, better QB in favor of the returning starters. I think tOSU wins it all, not just because of Fields, but all the talent and playmakers around him.

Reactions: Con

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Clemson has as good or better starters than any of the top four. The difference is they have better back ups than any of the others. IMO, Clemson big time.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
I don’t see how anyone who has watched college football with any consistency this year can vote for anyone besides Ohio State. They have been dominant. That said, Clemson might show us that all those inferior teams they played were not all that bad. Clemson is the defending champ, after all, and hasn’t lost in over 2 years. Lastly, should Oklahoma get in, a Jalen Hurts led team is hard to bet against.

• Roll Tide!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
They are giving BYU a run for their money for easiest scheduled championship.
Not even close.

Clemson will actually have to beat two teams in the top four to win it.

I spot BYU a little bit, though - the Orange Bowl offered to let Washington or Oklahoma go play BYU in the Holiday Bowl, and they wanted the money. Not that I blame the schools, but let's not pretend the very same people trashing BYU's schedule were in any hurry to play them, either.

Reactions: Con

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Y'all raise a good point I'd forgotten: No #1 team has won the national championship in the playoff era. Another interesting (to me) tidbit is that the team that gives up the fewest points in the first round has won all but 1 of the CFP national championships.
I think a lot of this has to do with the #4 seed usually being an up and comer that's really good and has obtained redemption throughout the season after dropping a game it shouldn't.

I can't see that this year. I know some of the #1s have lost in the title game. So we'll see.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.