Rioting at Charlottsville Va (UVA) by white nationalists and counter protesters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I heard about this today, which I vaguely remember.
In 1993, the United Daughters of the Confederacy applied for a renewal of its federal charter, which really just give the symbol of the UDC copyright protection.
United_Daughters_of_the_Confederacy_logo.png
Senator Carol Moseley-Brown (D, Ill.) spoke against renewing the charter.
Joe Biden called the UDC "an organization made up of many fine people."
Of course, Biden was correct in 1993. Most UDC members I have met are sweet (mostly old) ladies who take care of cemeteries and monuments. That is the extent of their evil.
In today's climate, is it acceptable to called them "fine people?"

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
This statue doesn't represent me, the confederate statues don't represent me. Both continue to create divisiveness and anger so, I honestly don't understand the point.

I've got no problem with confederate memorials that are dedicated to remembering the fallen soldiers of a community. All the others should be in museums, where remembrance and studying of the past is more appropriate.

Creating a statue to mock another controversial statue doesn't seem to be the correct way to encourage healing and understanding. That's just my opinion though, not that it really matters.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Creating a statue to mock another controversial statue doesn't seem to be the correct way to encourage healing and understanding. That's just my opinion though, not that it really matters.
The "Rumors of War" statue in Richmond cost $2 million. All private donations, but it seems like a good bit of money.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Not sure to post this, started to add it to the Army vs Navy thread in the Football forum, but due to the political overtones I decided to put it here.

army-navy-officials-investigate-possible-white-power-gestures-by-students

oung extremists in the Army and Navy? That's one possibility. The more benign explanation—and a far more likely one—is that the cadets were playing a well-known kids' game that has nothing to do with white supremacy.
Back to the cadets: Having carefully reviewed the video footage in question, it seems pretty likely that their gestures were even less significant—they are probably playing the circle game. What is the circle game? you ask. Well, it's pretty simple: You make a circle gesture with your hand, and if someone else looks at the circle, you get to punch that person.

I have never heard of the circle game.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I can't say what the motivation was but it's certainly bad optics at the least now.
my best guess would be that most of these instances are "watch how much i pwn the libs by making them think i'm a white supremacist". there have been several instances recently where service members, police, firefighters, white house staffers, do this in a way to get it out in the public. but in my mind, trolling someone to make them think you are a white supremacist is not a much better thing than being a white supremacist.

but even if this is just the circle game, that kind of acting out in public isn't a great look for the academies.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I had never heard of the circle game either until it got brought up in the OK sign controversy.

I honestly think a lot of those flashing it are trying to troll the people that get all upset about seeing it. I agree it is a little childish, but I think there are bigger things to worry about. I don’t think the guy who flashed it at the game should bekicked out of the academy unless they find he is truly a white supremacist.

Reactions: Tidewater

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
I remember playing the circle game in middle/high school. I was/am not very bright.

That being said, the first instance of seeing the game being played again, or mentioned in popular culture is after 4chan managed to appropriate the "ok" symbol for white supremacy.

This just feels more like people not wanting to believe that kids could actually be this stupid. I just have a feeling if there was some massive resurgence of the "circle game" we would have seen some other stupid college kid be trotted out in the media as a horrible human being far before now. I guess it is possible that Army cadets are trendsetters in the "stupid games college kids play" sphere but I somehow doubt it.

The only thing that makes me think that this is not the white power "ok" symbol is that there is a black kid in the row in front of the one that gave the sign. I am assuming that these guys on the stand are all from at least the same class. I don't want to believe that these people who associate together at least somewhat regularly would be ok with anything that would break up unit/class cohesion. But I am ever an optimist, and recently there are a lot of things that I just never figured American's were stupid enough to do/believe in.

Reactions: NationalTitles18

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I remember playing the circle game in middle/high school. I was/am not very bright.

That being said, the first instance of seeing the game being played again, or mentioned in popular culture is after 4chan managed to appropriate the "ok" symbol for white supremacy.

This just feels more like people not wanting to believe that kids could actually be this stupid. I just have a feeling if there was some massive resurgence of the "circle game" we would have seen some other stupid college kid be trotted out in the media as a horrible human being far before now. I guess it is possible that Army cadets are trendsetters in the "stupid games college kids play" sphere but I somehow doubt it.

The only thing that makes me think that this is not the white power "ok" symbol is that there is a black kid in the row in front of the one that gave the sign. I am assuming that these guys on the stand are all from at least the same class. I don't want to believe that these people who associate together at least somewhat regularly would be ok with anything that would break up unit/class cohesion. But I am ever an optimist, and recently there are a lot of things that I just never figured American's were stupid enough to do/believe in.
one of the best analogies i have seen about this is that these racist adjacent d-bags doing these symbols over and over again for public consumption are basically like a brat brother playing the "ha ha im not touching you" game with his sister in the back seat of the car.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
We played the circle game when I was a kid, but it was never called the circle game. You’d put the circle on your knee, and if the guy you were talking to looked at it you got to hit him in the upper arm. If the other guy stuck his finger in the circle he got to hIt you. It was a very childish game. IIRC it was around 6th grade.

These guys weren’t playing the circle game.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

When I was an undergraduate at Alabama, the DKEs at the University of Cincinnati had a party on April 4th and called it a "James Earl Ray Day" Party. You could only get in if you had (1) a cancelled welfare check (2) a box of fried chicken or (3) a radio bigger than your head.
Yeah, college students do dumb crap without thinking about the consequences or the aftermath.
It's possible the cadets and midshipmen are white supremacists. Investigation into their Facebook account, their internet browsing history, and interviews with roommates, will probably confirm or deny the allegation.
The "ok" symbol in this case is a starting point for investigation, not the ending point.

Reactions: 92tide

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
When I was an undergraduate at Alabama, the DKEs at the University of Cincinnati had a party on April 4th and called it a "James Earl Ray Day" Party. You could only get in if you had (1) a cancelled welfare check (2) a box of fried chicken or (3) a radio bigger than your head.
Yeah, college students do dumb crap without thinking about the consequences or the aftermath.
It's possible the cadets and midshipmen are white supremacists. Investigation into their Facebook account, their internet browsing history, and interviews with roommates, will probably confirm or deny the allegation.
The "ok" symbol in this case is a starting point for investigation, not the ending point.
early in my tenure at the capstone, the ka's had a "who rides the bus" party and caught holy hell for it when the crimson white published some of the photos from the party. almost the entire party was black face.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
early in my tenure at the capstone, the ka's had a "who rides the bus" party and caught holy hell for it when the crimson white published some of the photos from the party. almost the entire party was black face.
I sometimes wonder what those guys would say now about their choices back then if confronted about them.
Maybe it’s part of growing up. You get a little freedom, which includes the freedom to make dumb, insensitive choices, so you push the limits. It seems to be especially common in large groups.
i bet those guys today regret having done that (DKEs at Cincinnati and KAs from Bama.). At least I hope so.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I sometimes wonder what those guys would say now about their choices back then if confronted about them.
Maybe it’s part of growing up. You get a little freedom, which includes the freedom to make dumb, insensitive choices, so you push the limits. It seems to be especially common in large groups.
i bet those guys today regret having done that (DKEs at Cincinnati and KAs from Bama.). At least I hope so.
i'm somewhat surprised that nothing has really come out from that time. this wasn't an isolated incident and all of those folks are in the correct age range for coming into positions of prominence, and deserving or not, a lot of those old row folks were heading for positions of prominence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.