New seats at BDS

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Big problem with the construction project is that our state just doesn’t pay the contractors enough to get these projects expedited. We get what we pay for as a state and that means projects GDOT could get done in 6 months take 2 years done by ALDOT.
You are probably too young to remember how long it took to get I-20 completed. But, yes......................guess who came in last, by a "mile"?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
As long as they can be resold on an open market, that wouldn't bother me. Let them have a piece so long as I could still sell to the highest bidder. Their fee would come out of the reseller's end, not mine.
It wouldn’t be a truly open market because you would not get to choose the marketplace of your choosing but, yes, I do not envision UA doing something like only allowing at-cost exchanges of tickets to other ”registered” Alabama fans. Mainly because I think the revenue incentive for going that route will be for as many exchanges perhaps at the highest selling price as possible.

I could see them actually penalizing season ticket holders for unused tickets in this system though. And that likely incur some rancor but once they go this route with a StubHub or Ticketmaster relationship, you literally cost them some more money by just burning the ticket and not putting it on the market.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It wouldn’t be a truly open market because you would not get to choose the marketplace of your choosing but, yes, I do not envision UA doing something like only allowing at-cost exchanges of tickets to other ”registered” Alabama fans. Mainly because I think the revenue incentive for going that route will be for as many exchanges perhaps at the highest selling price as possible.
Open enough to make me happy. Anyone interested in Falcons tickets would know where to go. The important point is that the sellers and buyers would have a place to go to set a market on their own.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The concern would be if the vendor they choose for the secondary market partnership becomes much more expensive over time. Once your business has captured markets due to business-to-business agreements, you don’t have to be as competitive to the end customer on price.

I just start from a highly skeptical place I guess. But reality rarely catches me off guard with this attitude.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The concern would be if the vendor they choose for the secondary market partnership becomes much more expensive over time. Once your business has captured markets due to business-to-business agreements, you don’t have to be as competitive to the end customer on price.

I just start from a highly skeptical place I guess. But reality rarely catches me off guard with this attitude.
That is when free market principles would take over. Americans have expectations. Fail to meet them and you fail completely. But we both know that.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
That is when free market principles would take over. Americans have expectations. Fail to meet them and you fail completely. But we both know that.
I disagree with this assessment for this in general and specific to this hypothetical but to explain why free market principles frequently fail to manifest in the United States is a discussion for a different board. 😀

• Haha
Reactions: B1GTide

InsaneMustang

1st Team
Jul 30, 2001
All of this is great with Saban here. What happens when he’s gone? They’ll be trying to give away these over priced motel 6 rooms.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
agreed which is why I added the but :D

My comments In this thread are to emphasize that every action in this matter has a consequence. Knee jerk reactions and naive myopic views only create more issues.

We can address the consequences but those secondary effects create further consequences.

This whole thing cannot be reduced to 99/1% arguments espoused earlier. It’s not simple and not everyone is going to be happy. The best case might be that most everyone is equally unhappy. And even THAT has a consequence that must be addressed.

There are systemic and cultural and technological changes affecting demand across the sports and entertainment spectrum. Multilevel and mulivariate effects = Complex and costly changes which must be considered and implemented.

that stated, the Crimson Standard page seems to list some of the enhancements for the everyfan and current students.

(Obviously when I say “we” I’m talking about the PTB and greater UA community... I’m not at all talking about me or this board. Everyone should feel free to take any side you like but I’m going to ground my discussion in reality.)
Amen, my friend. Thinking about consequences of actions (the domino effect) is lost on a lot of people today. It has never been a human strong point, but lately it seems in exceedingly short supply.

They’re also paying a lot of money to go to the school. I’m not passing judgement but it simply highlights that these systems do exist in part. What once was an inferred privilege was taken away to discourage student ticket resell undercutting their primary market. I highlighted this to show that UA is willing to wrest privilege away from the ticket buyer for their benefit but they have less power over the non-student buyers. If they get desperate enough they will remove some privileges of the non-student buyer’s arrangements too.
Regarding the payment to go to school, I hear you, rgw. But that argument would carry a lot more weight if the student section didn't have so many vacant seats for big SEC games, weren't half empty at kickoff of lesser games, and about a quarter full after halftime for all but the marquee matchups.

Regarding limitations on selling tickets on anything other than a University-sponsored website, I agree....that's coming.

Think you're safe on this one, 54 were built and only 5 left... Also means that they've taken in over $7 million on the $150K premium and at $16K per year, another $4 million committed over the next 5 years. I don't know how many seats are in U1 between the 10 and 25 yard lines, but I'd bet that the remaining 50 unsold seats is a minuscule percentage. I believe the athletic department is making a killing on the new seating despite those predicting disaster. That's short term of course, what the more distant future might hold is anyone's guess. Doesn't much matter to me in any case, I've long since retired to the HDTV and recliner in my living room and the other amenities available at home, the private bath, the refrigerator, my grill, and during those mid-day games on hot days in September a quick half-time dip in the pool to cool off and freshen up for the second half.
Thank you 61. This is exactly the context I asked for earlier in this thread. When Casagrande trumpeted the unsold inventory, he left out the rest of the story -- not that that's unexpected from what passes for journalism today.

We can debate whether the University should charge that much, and whether those Loge Boxes represent value for the money, and how the University values the average fan (or doesn't), and the impact of life after Saban, until the cows come home.

But the bottom line is that they've sold over 90% of the inventory, and there's still about 9 months before the first home game of the 2020 season.....so there is demand today.

That's a little tidbit that Casagrande didn't deliver. He makes his living on nuance and fine turns of phrase, and knew exactly the message he was delivering. He also knew that his message didn't give an accurate picture of the truth.

And that is example #689,038 as to why I place about as much trust in reporters as I do in politicians....none. Used car and time share salespeople are more trustworthy.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yeah, 5 unsold is actually really positive news for the university. They’ll get those 5 sold by the Summer I imagine.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Yeah, 5 unsold is actually really positive news for the university. They’ll get those 5 sold by the Summer I imagine.
The cutoff for counting Tide Pride points for the 2020 season is either February 1 or February 28 (not sure on that one). They'll be sold by that cutoff, whenever it is.

If you're going to give over $150K, you're going to want credit for that as soon as you can get it.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
No one likes higher prices.

I believe phase one of crimson standard for the football stadium mostly just effects seats on the westside on levels u1 and u2. This is about 5000+ seats. Tide pride fees have been $480 for most of those seats. There will still be 4000+ seats there.... Tide pride fees will range from $2,750 to $4,000 annually (plus one time fees of $10,000 to $40,000). This affects less than 5 percent of stadium. These seats will all... Or almost all... Be sold.

The 2nd phase will remodel the concourses, concession, and bathrooms for the rest of the stadium. Phase 2 will be largely paid for from new funds from phase 1.

Sounds like a decent plan.

I also would like to see chair seats throughout the stadium... But I heard Greg Byrne say it would wipe out about 12,000 seats.. and the money from those seats. So I don't expect that to happen.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Watching the game in a climate controlled environment with a clean bathroom and a concession stand with no line makes for a much more enjoyable viewing experience. The players even stop and wait for me to get back if I have to go to the bathroom in the middle of a drive.

I agree the bubble may well burst after Saban retires. Someone mentioned hotels. I was in Tuscaloosa for work for a week recently. I had to log in to the internet on my phone every day. Logging on took me to the hotel’s home page with an ad for rooms. During the week, rooms were advanced for $79 a night. On Friday morning (the day I left) rooms were going for $300. This was the week of the Western Carolina game.

Reactions: B1GTide

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
The NFL has a lot of corporate sponsors buying those fat cat boxes and a lot of well off individuals with the metros also doing so as well. I really don’t know if that model is going to work for Alabama.

But I agree that most of this is for the 1% and not for the 99%. But they are expecting the 99% to pay for it.
Maybe we should try marketing some of those to NFL Scouts... ? 🤔

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
No one likes higher prices.

I believe phase one of crimson standard for the football stadium mostly just effects seats on the westside on levels u1 and u2. This is about 5000+ seats. Tide pride fees have been $480 for most of those seats. There will still be 4000+ seats there.... Tide pride fees will range from $2,750 to $4,000 annually (plus one time fees of $10,000 to $40,000). This affects less than 5 percent of stadium. These seats will all... Or almost all... Be sold.

The 2nd phase will remodel the concourses, concession, and bathrooms for the rest of the stadium. Phase 2 will be largely paid for from new funds from phase 1.

Sounds like a decent plan.

I also would like to see chair seats throughout the stadium... But I heard Greg Byrne say it would wipe out about 12,000 seats.. and the money from those seats. So I don't expect that to happen.
They are going to lose the money from those seats eventually regardless.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Completed?
Yes, completed, as in "drive from Dallas to Atlanta without taking a 20-mile detour several times, on crappy 2-lane highways, once you cross over the State line."

Not talking about the never-ending "upgrades"/repairs. Back in the 70s, large portions of it did not exist. Period. Now they do.

devildog

Sep 11, 2006
My top change for all ticket holders would be to replace all the bench seating with comfortable outdoor bucket seats that have built-in cupholders. It’ll lower the capacity undoubtedly but don’t we have a filling-the-capacity problem?
I agree with this.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Yes, completed, as in "drive from Dallas to Atlanta without taking a 20-mile detour several times, on crappy 2-lane highways, once you cross over the State line."

Not talking about the never-ending "upgrades"/repairs. Back in the 70s, large portions of it did not exist. Period. Now they do.
Their state of existence is up in the air, though.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.