JessN: Saban’s going nowhere, but we like for you to be prepared

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
If Saban retired tomorrow and Swinney was on Alabama's short list (You fill in the names on that short list other than Swinney's). Assuming all the coaches on the list would accept the job. Name me a coach on that list you would hire over Swinney.
I didn't say any of that to say that I'd prefer anyone over anyone else. Just that Swinney started out with a lot more going for him than he would have even at a place like South Carolina, his chief rival.

I admit that if I spend too much time considering the reality of Saban's eventual retirement, I cannot find anyone with the results close to Swinney's except Urban Meyer.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Yes, but there is no evidence that he could do it again without these specific people.
I think the answer is, he's won multiple NCs and plays for multiple others. Each team is different.

You could have said the same thing about hiring CNS in 2007 at Bama...he's only won a NC with one DC.

So only knowing what you know about Dabo currently and CNS in 2007, who would clearly be the better hire?

Reactions: UAllday

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Why would Dabo leave Clemson for Alabama? He has hero status at Clemson and I believe he will continue to be a championship threat in the future. Moving to Alabama means jumping into the Sec juggernaut and face true competition week after week. He can cruise through the weak ACC with little impunity.
Lots of discussion about that question earlier in the thread.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If Saban retired tomorrow and Swinney was on Alabama's short list (You fill in the names on that short list other than Swinney's). Assuming all the coaches on the list would accept the job. Name me a coach on that list you would hire over Swinney.
This isn't about tomorrow - it is about 5+ years from now. Could be lots of folks.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
IMO, no none can outside the possibility of CUM and I don't really want him at Bama. Don't like him. And, if folks are being honest, it's probably the only reason some say "no Dabo."

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
IMO, no none can outside the possibility of CUM and I don't really want him at Bama. Don't like him. And, if folks are being honest, it's probably the only reason some say "no Dabo."
It is mostly the question of character that has m saying no to Dabo - just don't trust him.

Reactions: The Ols

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This isn't about tomorrow - it is about 5+ years from now. Could be lots of folks.
True, but even then, with CNS and Dabo jockeying for an annual spot in the playoffs, if a coach or two (like Day or Smart) broke thru, their wins would be like Fisher or O unless they won a couple back to back.

IMO, that's what separates CNS and Dabo right now....and a 3rd current coach is not in sniffing distance.

EDIT: We assume this is 5+ years away, but we literally don't know. Health problems happen, or what if he wins a 7th and says, "OK, that's enough" and it happens this time next year?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It is mostly the question of character that has m saying no to Dabo - just don't trust him.
What has he done to make you feel you can't trust him (I know the stories about when he was young coach at Alabama) but what sense he's matured and been at Clemson?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
What has he done to make you feel you can't trust him (I know the stories about when he was young coach at Alabama) but what sense he's matured and been at Clemson?
He lied last year to protect his program surrounding the PED use is a great example. Hot tub? Seriously?

• Haha
Reactions: UAllday and The Ols

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I really believe that pulling Dabo from CU would be not only incredibly difficult, but impossible. I've lived in the Clemson area -- it is beautiful with lakes and the Blue Ridge mountains close behind. He is WORSHIPPED and ADORED but still has a good level of privacy and family life. He can get anything he wants from a school that has the best athletic support -- academic and otherwise -- that I have ever seen. He's cracked the recruiting nut -- gets his top choices just about every year. The ACC is not the "forced march grind" that is the SEC -- and helps rather than hurts him as long as he dominates. HIs faith is important to him -- and CU has traditionally had the largest FCA program in the country. There is also a large, conservative evangelical church a few miles down the road which has adopted him as their favored son. He has surpassed Frank Howard and Danny Ford in the Clemson pantheon -- and has Bobby Bowden status in the ACC.

I know we all think that the sun rises and sets in Tuscaloosa with Bama football...but not every one thinks that way -- even favored sons and daughters. The microscope is much finer in Alabama than in Clemson. In this universe Bama can offer him nothing that CU doesn't...I can't believe I wrote that, but at this time it is true. And unless he drives the bus into a ditch, I don't see that happening.

We better look at other options...and certainly in 6-8 years there will be several.
Yeah, Dabo is by far my first choice, but I doubt he would leave Clemson any more. He has it made there, and the only thing that might change his mind is the old "mama called" argument. Some of the guys mentioned are incredibly slimy and would be embarrassments to my university, in my opinion.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
not only about the PEDs, but the very persistent rumor of the church in South Carolina doing the Christian thing , and helping out folks in need. Especially if they are familes of Clemson recruits. Not my rumor and possibly the football cheating program alluded to in the basketball investigation recordings. Of course I’m sure Dabo has plausible deniability.
No , I don’t trust him either.

anyone that knows me knows my choice would be the head coach at Oregon. I think within 5 years the Ducks will play in the CFBNCG. Although, It will be hard to bid against Phil Knight.

Reactions: B1GTide

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
On the flip side of Dabo, I remember when the NCAA basically assisinated the character of Bama coaches including Bebes. Some of the negative about Dabo could just be that, for recruiting purposes

Reactions: BamaMoon

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I didn't say any of that to say that I'd prefer anyone over anyone else. Just that Swinney started out with a lot more going for him than he would have even at a place like South Carolina, his chief rival.

I admit that if I spend too much time considering the reality of Saban's eventual retirement, I cannot find anyone with the results close to Swinney's except Urban Meyer.
Fair point and I concede that point as well. I remember that 2008 Clemson game as well and remember all the chatter/"trash talk" from SEC folks (specifically Bama fans) about how inferior Clemson and their players were to ours/"SEC Talent" etc. I

If someone in 2020 could do a "Marty McFly" and go back in time and tell the Bama folks on this board that 12 years from now Dabo Swinney will have won two national titles and built Clemson into a national powerhouse. Then wait a bit and tell them "Oh btw, he beat Alabama in both those national title games Clemson won." We all would have laughed them off the planet.

Reactions: BamaMoon

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I know this is my third post , but , don’t know if I like this. The first time I heard Nick might again be in play was , I believe , the article after Kim Rodriguez not wanting to come to Tuscaloosa....you know something we don’t, Jess? Problem I have is I don’t have type connections to anyone in the program like I did 10-15 years ago. I have better connections in other schools at this point.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Fair point and I concede that point as well. I remember that 2008 Clemson game as well and remember all the chatter/"trash talk" from SEC folks (specifically Bama fans) about how inferior Clemson and their players were to ours/"SEC Talent" etc. I

If someone in 2020 could do a "Marty McFly" and go back in time and tell the Bama folks on this board that 12 years from now Dabo Swinney will have won two national titles and built Clemson into a national powerhouse. Then wait a bit and tell them "Oh btw, he beat Alabama in both those national title games Clemson won." We all would have laughed them off the planet.
True enough. Well, I did not feel that way before the game was played in 2008. I legit viewed us as still not up to par with what looked like an NC contender. Now more educated fans may have seen that game coming. I didn't. I hoped we'd keep it close and have a chance to win at the end. I thought it would be a close game.

Now after the game, at the end of that season, yes I would have laughed at the notion that Dabo was going to do what he did. And, I would have felt justified for many years. Recall, he failed to beat Spurrier at South Carolina for how many years?

It's hard to argue against Dabo's results. I will give everyone that. But I do think there needs to be some caution. Again, he hasn't built a Utah into a contender. He hasn't taken TWO different once great programs in some level of disarray and turned them into championship winners. He remade Clemson, an already good program that had been the victim of poor leadership. And that's it. And he MAY well be the best available candidate, when the time comes.

But that's not going to be for at least 10 more years. Right? Right??

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I agree no on the job training. That is for G5 and the Vandy's of this world. I want a HC that has proven he can win consistently over a few years. No reason for a Contender of any conference to do on the job training.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.