Should Coleman be renamed for Newton/Sanderson ?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The odds of getting a new arena seems to be small anytime soon

Should we rename it for CM and/or Wimp?

Thoughts ?

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
If there was no CM Newton, I doubt there would be a Wimp. CM has played a huge role in the creation of Alabama basketball after he was hired by Coach Bryant (on recommendation by Rupp). He deserves it.
No one else has hung THREE consecutive SEC Championship banners in that building. IMO. that would be like Kentucky hanging three consecutive SEC Football Championship banners. They will never have three total, much less three straight!

Reactions: SavanaBama

bama Jason

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 5, 2020
The odd thing at one time Wimp and CM was good friend. The word was he try to get Wimp a few after left BAMA. But CM Nancy Watts the one who got Wimp fired i dont think they were close any more.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
The odd thing at one time Wimp and CM was good friend. The word was he try to get Wimp a few after left BAMA. But CM Nancy Watts the one who got Wimp fired i dont think they were close any more.
Heard John Falkenberry say that Ms. Watts didn't want Wimp to be fired. She just wanted to transfer to a same position elsewhere in the University. The FOGs, at the time, used this situation as an opportunity to get rid of Wimp. Note: Dubose was allowed to stay after his indiscretion.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Heard John Falkenberry say that Ms. Watts didn't want Wimp to be fired. She just wanted to transfer to a same position elsewhere in the University. The FOGs, at the time, used this situation as an opportunity to get rid of Wimp. Note: Dubose was allowed to stay after his indiscretion.
I was on campus at the time. My recollection at the time is that Wimp allegedly hit Watts. That's one major difference with Dubose.

Reactions: bama61 and TIDE-HSV

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
There used to be an unwritten dictum that you never named anything after a living person -- they may disappoint in some way and you are either stuck or go through a process of de-naming.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
And that was a major error, done by Bockrath without the knowledge of the BOT. A cousin of mine was on the board at the time and he told me "Earle, he made it look like it was all about the wins." They formed the the athletic oversight committee on the board, with orders that nothing that major would be done again, blind-siding the board. Interestingly, Dr. Witt faced down that committee over Price, telling them that it was either Pappy or him. They backed down...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
There used to be an unwritten dictum that you never named anything after a living person -- they may disappoint in some way and you are either stuck or go through a process of de-naming.
I had to chuckle about our squeamishness, when, down the road, there is a football field named for a living coach who disgraced his school... :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.