Link: Tide Retakes top spot in recruiting rankings.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I agree with the others. "Winning" the top spot in the recruiting rankings is good entertainment for the offseason. But the most important thing is what these guys do when they get on campus and start competing on the FBS level.
Being #1 is a good recruiting tool...I'd rather be #1 than 2 or 3...just saying'...

• Roll Tide!
Reactions: Jay Hughes

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I'm sure there will be shuffling after Feb 5th but just being at or near the top is a good thing from a perception standpoint. Basically you can look at the teams that are consistently in the top 5 four out of five seasons and there is an insanely high chance that your Natty will come from one of those. In the playoff era we have not had a spoiler. If they thought the playoffs would give more teams a chance I'd say the result has been the opposite. We've perhaps seen Alabama fall down a bit and 4 or so teams move even with us, but the rest of college football seems to have slipped a step back.

Reactions: TiderJack

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I'm sure there will be shuffling after Feb 5th but just being at or near the top is a good thing from a perception standpoint. Basically you can look at the teams that are consistently in the top 5 four out of five seasons and there is an insanely high chance that your Natty will come from one of those. In the playoff era we have not had a spoiler. If they thought the playoffs would give more teams a chance I'd say the result has been the opposite. We've perhaps seen Alabama fall down a bit and 4 or so teams move even with us, but the rest of college football seems to have slipped a step back.
Agreed. Fat Phil was on Finebaum and said he is in favor of expanding the play-off to 8 teams since he said the teams that make the four team play-off on a regular basis are getting all the 5* and upper 4* players due to the exposure which he is correct in most cases. He feels if they expand to 8 teams that would give UT a better chance of making the play-off and therefore getting the higher profile players.

• Thank You
Reactions: Padreruf

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Agreed. Fat Phil was on Finebaum and said he is in favor of expanding the play-off to 8 teams since he said the teams that make the four team play-off on a regular basis are getting all the 5* and upper 4* players due to the exposure which he is correct in most cases. He feels if they expand to 8 teams that would give UT a better chance of making the play-off and therefore getting the higher profile players.
So free donuts aren't working for them? :cool:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Chicken/egg argument. But, to be clear, you can win a championship without landing those top classes year after year - just not in the SEC or B1G. In the B1G and SEC, you need quality depth because the season is a physical grind.

JohnD

1st Team
Dec 22, 2003
Just my own thought but I feel if you’re consistently in the top 5 or so you’ll have the talent necessary to do great things.
Probably a lot of truth to that.
Recruiting really is a crap shoot. On signing day, you are never as great as you think you are, and you are never as bad as you think.
Case in point:
The top recruit from each of the last 2 classes quit. From #1 ranked 2019, players ranked 10, 14, and 22 in the class started most of the year. Yet 5 of the top 10 red-shirted.
#5 ranked 2018, the 6th ranked player in the class was ineligible. 6 of the top 10 have barely gotten on the field except for special teams.
#1 ranked 2017 was full of studs, yet collectively 2017 and 2018 was woefully thin at ILB, and one of those quit, leading to some of the problems we had last year.
3 of the top 5 players in the #1 ranked 2016 class never played much or transferred. And #6 stayed injured for most of his career (Lewis). The #15 ranked player started as a freshman at QB. 3 star players #20 and #22 both came out early and were drafted in the first and second round as true juniors.
A few years ago we signed 5 RB's. I think 3 of them transferred. 5 stars Kendall Sheffield and Blake Barnett transferred out of the same class. All teams have similar stories.
If you are at or near the top, you've filled needs, you have a few difference makers (which you don't know yet), and you have a core group or quality men who have the attributes of a winner, you can say you have a great chance to be very successful. But that's about all.

**All ranking data based on 247 composite.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Probably a lot of truth to that.
Recruiting really is a crap shoot. On signing day, you are never as great as you think you are, and you are never as bad as you think.
Case in point:
The top recruit from each of the last 2 classes quit. From #1 ranked 2019, players ranked 10, 14, and 22 in the class started most of the year. Yet 5 of the top 10 red-shirted.
#5 ranked 2018, the 6th ranked player in the class was ineligible. 6 of the top 10 have barely gotten on the field except for special teams.
#1 ranked 2017 was full of studs, yet collectively 2017 and 2018 was woefully thin at ILB, and one of those quit, leading to some of the problems we had last year.
3 of the top 5 players in the #1 ranked 2016 class never played much or transferred. And #6 stayed injured for most of his career (Lewis). The #15 ranked player started as a freshman at QB. 3 star players #20 and #22 both came out early and were drafted in the first and second round as true juniors.
A few years ago we signed 5 RB's. I think 3 of them transferred. 5 stars Kendall Sheffield and Blake Barnett transferred out of the same class. All teams have similar stories.
If you are at or near the top, you've filled needs, you have a few difference makers (which you don't know yet), and you have a core group or quality men who have the attributes of a winner, you can say you have a great chance to be very successful. But that's about all.

**All ranking data based on 247 composite.

That`s an excellent and informative post, John. We`ll expect more of:) the same in the future!

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
I'd say, once you get past about #4 or #5 in the recruiting ranks, there is a slight drop off. But, finishing in the top 4 or 5 is just a shuffle, its all the same. Question for those teams is, did they fill their position needs...as said previously.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
This is the second year of the early signing period and I am sure Coach continues to tweak the system. After a couple of years of getting spurned on NSD2 I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to sign the entire class in the early signing period. If you want to be on this team then sign early. If you can't make up your mind by then then we have to pass on you.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
This is the second year of the early signing period and I am sure Coach continues to tweak the system. After a couple of years of getting spurned on NSD2 I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to sign the entire class in the early signing period. If you want to be on this team then sign early. If you can't make up your mind by then then we have to pass on you.
Yep. It would eliminate getting left at the alter on NSD2 on a recruit in a position of need.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Yep. It would eliminate getting left at the alter on NSD2 on a recruit in a position of need.
I mean, the optics alone is a reason to make the ulimatum and finish early. The advent of the transfer portal has also created a roster management tool that really advances the clock on recruiting. I mean, I loved the NSD hoopla of the past but it is gone forever.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
Gators had a rough day. They whiffed again on all their primary NSD targets and dropped a spot to Auburn in the Top 10 class rankings.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.