Clemson will not be challenged anytime soon in the ACC

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Just for kicks and giggles I used 247sports recruiting filter to compare class rankings within their conference. Then on a national level. For starters, look at the gap between Clemson and the rest of the conference regarding quality of class. It's not even in the same universe. Then going over to the national rankings the 2nd ranked class in the ACC doesn't appear until #13 on the national rank, the 3rd ranked class #19 nationally and the 4th ranked class comes in at #22 nationally.

Do the same exercise for the SEC. IMO, unless Florida St, Miami and North Carolina can pull an upset or two. The odds of them closing the gap on Clemson while getting the brakes beat off of them by Clemson, is unlikely. Something has to change in recruiting before any of the other teams within that conference has a chance. The #2 ranked class within the ACC (Miami) would be the #7th ranked class in the SEC. Let that sink in. And for 2019. The #2 ranked class in the ACC would have been tied for 8th in the SEC. Again, let that sink in.

ACC_Recruiting Rankings

Last edited:

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Dabo is going to own the ACC just like Bowden did meaning you are looking at about another 5-7 years before another contender could possibly compete annually with them.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Dabo is going to own the ACC just like Bowden did meaning you are looking at about another 5-7 years before another contender could possibly compete annually with them.
And that's if the rest of the conference starts recruiting like Clemson, beginning with the class that will sign in December of this year. Not bloody likely.

I think it'll be until Dabo isn't there anymore, however that might come about.

Edit: While I don't see Dabo overstaying his welcome like Bowden did at FSU, he's only 50 years old. It could be 20 years before someone in the ACC can even see Clemson's taillights.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoolBreeze

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Locked and loaded for an annual trip to the playoffs with about a 10 week scrimmage schedule to prepare. All the while, we beat each others brains out in the SEC.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
this is what happens when your conference ( ACC) cares more about Basketball than Football.
Miami and FSU are by no means traditional BB schools ( nor is Clemson) so their decline is puzzling.
Clemson won their 1st NC in 1981 and has been somewhat relevant in football. They have shown in the past prior to the Dabo era that they do care and will invest money into their Football program so isn't a surprised to see them emerged as a football school, but Miami and FSU are just downright embarrassing.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Just for kicks and giggles I used 247sports recruiting filter to compare class rankings within their conference. Then on a national level. For starters, look at the gap between Clemson and the rest of the conference regarding quality of class. It's not even in the same universe. Then going over to the national rankings the 2nd ranked class in the ACC doesn't appear until #13 on the national rank, the 3rd ranked class #19 nationally and the 4th ranked class comes in at #22 nationally.

Do the same exercise for the SEC. IMO, unless Florida St, Miami and North Carolina can pull an upset or two. The odds of them closing the gap on Clemson while getting the brakes beat off of them by Clemson, is unlikely. Something has to change in recruiting before any of the other teams within that conference has a chance. The #2 ranked class within the ACC (Miami) would be the #7th ranked class in the SEC. Let that sink in. And for 2019. The #2 ranked class in the ACC would have been tied for 8th in the SEC. Again, let that sink in.

ACC_Recruiting Rankings
They're the ONLY school in the conference that got a 5* player...THE ONLY SCHOOL...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I wouldn't get too worried about the whole "But Dabo now gets a season to scrimmage" argument.

How many national championships has FSU won since we went to the playoff?

None - and they haven't even come close. FSU's national titles are a completely undeserved one (1993), a year in which they were the best team in the country without argument (1999), and a year where they got lucky that Alabama blew the Iron Bowl (2013).

Everyone wants to get all huffy about it, but you're simply not going to have some 1998 Tulane side-stepping everyone and then turning into the 71 Huskers for two games. But I'm guessing part of this is a lot of our fan base is still looking for some excuse as to why we got blown out by Clemson rather than just admitting they were the better team in 2018.

• Crying
Reactions: Mystical

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I wouldn't get too worried about the whole "But Dabo now gets a season to scrimmage" argument.

How many national championships has FSU won since we went to the playoff?

None - and they haven't even come close. FSU's national titles are a completely undeserved one (1993), a year in which they were the best team in the country without argument (1999), and a year where they got lucky that Alabama blew the Iron Bowl (2013).

Everyone wants to get all huffy about it, but you're simply not going to have some 1998 Tulane side-stepping everyone and then turning into the 71 Huskers for two games. But I'm guessing part of this is a lot of our fan base is still looking for some excuse as to why we got blown out by Clemson rather than just admitting they were the better team in 2018.
For me it has nothing to do with "why" we got blown out. We got blown out because they blew us out. It really is that simple. The frustrating thing for me (and probably many fans) isn't admitting that Clemson has just as good of a team as we do year in and year out. They do. But the fact that one of us has to actually run the marathon and work our way to the finish line. Where as the other is driven to the finish line without having to break a sweat. The margin for error in one schedule is vastly different than another's. There's always going to be conference inequality of some degree. But what currently exist in the ACC is shameful with no end in sight.

P.S. And for the record, as I've said before. That's not Dabo's fault nor should he apologize for the rest of their conference's inability to do what he has done. He's done what he's supposed to do.

Last edited:

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
this is what happens when your conference ( ACC) cares more about Basketball than Football.
Miami and FSU are by no means traditional BB schools ( nor is Clemson) so their decline is puzzling.
Clemson won their 1st NC in 1981 and has been somewhat relevant in football. They have shown in the past prior to the Dabo era that they do care and will invest money into their Football program so isn't a surprised to see them emerged as a football school, but Miami and FSU are just downright embarrassing.
their declines like UF has everything to do with coaching hires. UF has a great x and o coach but cant recruit. FSU imo has the best coach in that state. Diaz is a joke. Clemson will lose a ACC game look at UNC game this past year. Clemsons issue is when they lose better not be like this year or they are out. They play literally no one. USCE will fire Muschamp next year and that should hurt Clemson if they make a good hire.

Reactions: The Ols and B1GTide

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
For me it has nothing to do with "why" we got blown out. We got blown out because they blew us out. It really is that simple. The frustrating thing for me (and probably many fans) isn't admitting that Clemson has just as good of a team as we do year in and year out. They do. But the fact that one of us has to actually run the marathon and work our way to the finish line. Where as the other is driven to the finish line without having to break a sweat. The margin for error in one schedule is vastly different than another's. There's always going to be conference inequality of some degree. But what currently exist in the ACC is shameful with no end in sight.

P.S. And for the record, as I've said before. That's not Dabo's fault nor should he apologize for the rest of their conference's inability to do what he has done. He's done what he's supposed to do.
I totally agree with your P.S. Clemson isn't responsible to make the rest of the conference do their jobs. It sucks from the standpoint of the major SEC players to get in the playoffs have to play real teams, Dabo just plays the conference he's in. Every Bama fan I know would gladly switch places. My problem is when Dabo or any other coach tries to justify it and act they play a competitive schedule. If I was Dabo I would simply say we play our conference schedule as given to us by the conference I can't control how good or bad those teams are.

Reactions: Con

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I totally agree with your P.S. Clemson isn't responsible to make the rest of the conference do their jobs. It sucks from the standpoint of the major SEC players to get in the playoffs have to play real teams, Dabo just plays the conference he's in. Every Bama fan I know would gladly switch places. My problem is when Dabo or any other coach tries to justify it and act they play a competitive schedule. If I was Dabo I would simply say we play our conference schedule as given to us by the conference I can't control how good or bad those teams are.
I have always said that their conference schedule is not their fault, but that doesn't mean that they get cut any slack for it. If they lose a game, they need to be immediately eliminated.

Reactions: Con and The Ols

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
But instead he whines and cries trying to convince everyone outside the conference otherwise. I wonder if he heard Herbstreit tell Coach Saban on the NCG pre game panel that the ACC is weak and didn't offer Clemson any real competition? Because he sure did point blank say it and his son plays on the team. LOL! Which he said "and my son plays on Clemson." LOL!

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
•Sept. 3 (Thursday): at Georgia Tech - This game will be a battle.
•Sept. 12: LOUISVILLE
•Sept. 19: AKRON
•Sept. 26: VIRGINIA
•Oct. 2 (Friday): at Boston College
•Oct. 10: at Florida State
•Oct. 17: NC STATE
•Oct. 24: SYRACUSE
•Nov. 7: at Notre Dame
•Nov. 14: THE CITADEL
•Nov. 21: at Wake Forest
•Nov. 28: SOUTH CAROLINA

GT kept the game close for 1 quarter. This year, they will keep the game close for a quarter and half.
Only game I can see it being tough for Clemson is Florida State, Notre Dame, and South Carolina.

South Carolina has all the tool to be real good team, just need to get the offense going. I currently have Clemson projecting 2 losses for 2020.

I think ACC will surprise folks with 2 good teams in 2020... if not, then 2021. It's all about developing kids and actually winning game.

Down4ttown

Suspended
Dec 16, 2011
Clemson May have one loss this year. The talent is deep. Alabama’s problem last year and every year is discipline. We have the talent every year, but do we possess the will? Leadership always goes into it as well. Here’s to hoping we have the intangibles this year.

• Haha
Reactions: B1GTide

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
•Sept. 3 (Thursday): at Georgia Tech - This game will be a battle.
•Sept. 12: LOUISVILLE
•Sept. 19: AKRON
•Sept. 26: VIRGINIA
•Oct. 2 (Friday): at Boston College
•Oct. 10: at Florida State
•Oct. 17: NC STATE
•Oct. 24: SYRACUSE
•Nov. 7: at Notre Dame
•Nov. 14: THE CITADEL
•Nov. 21: at Wake Forest
•Nov. 28: SOUTH CAROLINA

GT kept the game close for 1 quarter. This year, they will keep the game close for a quarter and half.
Only game I can see it being tough for Clemson is Florida State, Notre Dame, and South Carolina.

South Carolina has all the tool to be real good team, just need to get the offense going. I currently have Clemson projecting 2 losses for 2020.

I think ACC will surprise folks with 2 good teams in 2020... if not, then 2021. It's all about developing kids and actually winning game.
I will take the under on those two losses for everything I own ;) .

• Haha
Reactions: The Ols and B1GTide

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
There are only so many 4 and 5 star players available. And most of those players are concentrated in the Southeastern United States, Texas, and California.

The problem for the ACC is that all of their teams that reside in the southeast play 2nd fiddle to their SEC counterparts. With one huge exception - Clemson. Add in the fact that some of the very best recruiting is in Georgia and Florida, and these 2 states are close to every single SEC program, well then your ACC team in these neighborhoods are actually playing 4th or 5th fiddle. Except of course, Clemson.

Well, why Clemson? Of course, it helps that Dabo has turned out to be a fantastic recruiter. But what really drives it is that Clemson actually has the resources and chooses to spend them on football. Their fans demand it. They show up and pack out an 80,000 seat stadium and almost always have. The only other ACC fan base that comes close to this, in passionate behavior, is Virginia Tech. Miami's fan base never has. Not even when they were great. Florida State's fan base isn't that great when they aren't doing great on the field, and the University doesn't seem to have the level of resources that an upper level University does. This is one of the reasons they never hire an elite coach (Bobby Bowden turned into one while he was there). There is no other ACC school anywhere near any of these when it comes to football support.

I am not certain that Clemson's elite success is guaranteed to last. Heck, ours isn't. But they are the only ACC University with all of the requisites in place. Miami is dead and buried. EVERYONE recruits south Florida now. Florida State is going to have a very difficult time returning to elite status while Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Clemson, and Florida are doing so well. Virginia Tech? Well, they've never really been elite. But they could be a nice thorn in Clemson's side if they ever got their act together.

To return to my original point and bring it all together, there is not enough 4 and 5 star talent in the SEC and ACC geographic footprint to supply half of both conferences with elite talent. Right now, Clemson is the only ACC team in the neighborhood that has its act together, while 6 or 7 SEC schools do.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

The ACC has never been a big-time conference. In all honesty, the conference reputation is actually derived from the days when Miami and FSU were winning championships.....never mind that Miami hasn't done jack since joining the conference.

I share your frustration, I honestly do. But the ACC wasn't any good in the 90s, either, but every year we'd hear about how great Florida St was. And while they did have a pretty good team many times, the reality was that most years Bobby Bowden choked in the one game that mattered.

I think what bothers me is this kind of analysis by noisy pundits last year:

"Alabama has a notoriously weak schedule with no challenges outside of Auburn and LSU."

"Clemson has a weak in conference schedule, but they've offset it by scheduling two games against the tough SEC, A/M and South Carolina."

(Not one analyst doing this ever pointed out Alabama played BOTH of those teams. Why are they challenges for Clemson but a weak schedule for us????)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.