Interesting Comment on Golding By Player

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
Lewis’ comments are either nit picking for other reasons or very telling about Golding. I know many of you on here don’t think CPG would have made much difference without all the injuries but this comes straight from a player’s mouth.

According to Lewis when asked to clarify what he meant by lack of communication, he didn’t hold back distributing the blame:

“Communication from the top down, as far as even play calling and as far as just on the field, guys relaying the calls and relaying the signals, stuff like that.”

link here

Reactions: gymcoach

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I don't think he's saying anything "we" (fans on this board) didn't start picking up on as the season wore on. I chalk it up to inexperience from Golding running the show as DC. It also can't be viewed in a vacuum from having two freshmen running the defensive calls on the field either. There was a lot of inexperience and youth both on the field and the sidelines.

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Pretty sure issues like that are why Coach Charlie Strong is now at the Capstone. His insights and observations will be invaluable ! Hopefully CPG can absorb the help and translate that to game day performance!

Reactions: AlexanderFan

Down4ttown

Suspended
Dec 16, 2011
I didn’t take this as a jab at one person. I took it as there were challenges that perhaps weren’t present previously. Signaling in to a freshman can’t be easy. Being new to this type of defensive sophistication can’t be easy either. We have opportunities but I think we will get better.

chuaner

Scout Team
Aug 26, 2008
While CPG might have a lot of reasons last year, allowing opponents to run right in the middle at will is still inexcusable.

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
I’m still not happy with Lewis for choosing not to play in an Alabama Bowl game; I’ll go with CPG views on this subject rather than a player. Contrast Lewis’ blame someone else perspective with Carter’s who said he was responsible.

CPG statement:

“Sometimes, as coaches, we can think too much. I think we're too damn smart at times and then you try to put them in certain situations to where they start changing a picture and we change a coverage because it's what's best to do. However, if you can't execute it, it doesn't matter the call.”

Reactions: BamaBoySince89

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Maybe Hall-Lewis should realize that sitting out of a bowl game makes you look like “the team” isnt your priority. That will hurt him on draft day. Likely a 2-3 rd pick now.

Reactions: bamamc1

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I don't know if anyone noticed this but Lewis said the article was click bait and it was taken out of context.
"Out of context," seems to be the stock phrase that people use when they get hopelessly busted saying something they wish they hadn't said.

Unless the writer manufactured the quotes, and I don't think for an instant that he did, they were delivered in perfect context.

I think Lewis just wishes he hadn't said them.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Mouth in gear, Brain in Neutral.
Did taking shots at Freshman and Pete Golding increase Lewis stature in the upcoming draft?
NOPE...
It seemed SMALL AND UNSEEMLY TO ME.

I'm disappointed in Lewis.
I've been disappointed in Lewis for a while now. Dogged it the last few games of the year and then sat out the bowl game, and now this. Not a good look.

tidefan26

1st Team
Dec 5, 2005
South Alabama
I don't think he's saying anything "we" (fans on this board) didn't start picking up on as the season wore on. I chalk it up to inexperience from Golding running the show as DC. It also can't be viewed in a vacuum from having two freshmen running the defensive calls on the field either. There was a lot of inexperience and youth both on the field and the sidelines.
When you factor in his time calling the defense with Lupoi the prior year, does that change anything. Does it seem like Saban is hell bent on making him a good coordinator? He has a one and half year resume with less than stellar results.

BAMABOYNASH

Sep 12, 2010
Mouth in gear, Brain in Neutral.
Did taking shots at Freshman and Pete Golding increase Lewis stature in the upcoming draft?
NOPE...
It seemed SMALL AND UNSEEMLY TO ME.

I'm disappointed in Lewis.
I am as well, also thought he could have played harder most of the year. But I might be worried about getting hurt too if I had been hurt two of the years I was there....... Is that right?
Better diplomacy maybe?
And to be honest I thought the defense did a great job for the youth and inexperience they had on and off the field!
I think I have such a high opinion of our team because of the results they typically get i forget how challenging it is to get to the top and stay there.
I think they KILL IT next year!
RollTide y’all!

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
When you factor in his time calling the defense with Lupoi the prior year, does that change anything. Does it seem like Saban is hell bent on making him a good coordinator? He has a one and half year resume with less than stellar results.
Sabans forgotten more about what makes a great coach than I'll ever know, so I defer to his judgement.

But yeah, I've been questioning Golding since day one - every DC we've had under Saban has fielded serious defenses, and the last two years Bama's defense has taken a step back. I know there are lots of reasons one can list, but...

... then I circle back to my original thought above - I trust Saban, even if I cannot understand why he's hanging on to Golding. And I suspect that when it's all said and done, I'll once again be wrong and Saban will once again be right. That's the hope.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.