TV alert: "The Last Dance" documentary on ESPN about the Chicago Bulls championship seasons

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Brett mentioned this in his "How much do you really miss sports" thread. Yes, I realize I'm posting in the football forum but considering the current circumstances thought it would reach more members who might be interested.

First two episodes aired last night and were fantastic!

I was a huge Bulls fan during this era and still feel it was the best years of the NBA in terms of excitement.

ESPN's 10-part documentary, "The Last Dance," which chronicles Michael Jordan and the 1997-98 Chicago Bulls, premieres Sunday at 9 p.m. ET.

'The Last Dance' Schedule
  • Sunday, April 19, 9 p.m. ET -- Episodes 1 and 2
  • Sunday, April 26, 9 p.m. ET -- Episodes 3 and 4
  • Sunday, May 3, 9 p.m. ET -- Episodes 5 and 6
  • Sunday, May 10, 9 p.m. ET -- Episodes 7 and 8
  • Sunday, May 17, 9 p.m. ET -- Episodes 9 and 10
*Encore showings of the previous week's episodes will air at 7 p.m. ET

TV and Live Stream
  • TV: ESPN (censored version will air simultaneously on ESPN2)
  • Live stream (U.S.): WatchESPN.com, ESPN app
  • Live stream (International): Netflix (episodes made available five hours after broadcast time)
Uncensored version
The documentary that runs on ESPN will feature "strong adult language," while an alternate, edited version of each episode will run simultaneously on ESPN2. Here is ESPN's statement on the matter:

"To maintain the authenticity of interviews and footage throughout the upcoming documentary series "The Last Dance," ESPN will air two versions of the highly anticipated 10-part project about Michael Jordan and the 1990s Chicago Bulls. A version containing strong adult language will air on ESPN (TV-MA) while an alternate option edited for that language will air simultaneously on ESPN2 (TV-14-L)."

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...ries-live-stream-tv-dates-uncensored-version/

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Even my 19 year old was glued to the shows last night. I tell him all the time about how great Jordan was and what it was like to watch them in the 90's. I can't wait for next week's episodes now. I was wondering why they had the show on different channels last night. I didn't know about the clean version vs. the not clean. I am like the description the @Bazza posted. The authenticity is lost if you can't hear the banter and what they are really saying.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Who was also a Bull...
Slightly longer than John Starks (shudders) tenure with the Bulls.

Big time Bulls fan. Jordan was the main stream favorite player of mine, but "The Waiter" is definitely a sentimental favorite of mine, especially when Pippen took himself out of a playoff game to pout, and #7 went ahead of score the winning basketl.

This docu-series is bringing up some serious nostalgic moments for me.

Reactions: Bazza and The Ols

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Slightly longer than John Starks (shudders) tenure with the Bulls.

Big time Bulls fan. Jordan was the main stream favorite player of mine, but "The Waiter" is definitely a sentimental favorite of mine, especially when Pippen took himself out of a playoff game to pout, and #7 went ahead of score the winning basketl.

This docu-series is bringing up some serious nostalgic moments for me.
I grew up in Chicago. I was in a great place in life (mid-twenties thru early thirties ) during this run.
At one point I was working in a bar downtown where a couple of the guys would go after games...I have some great stories...That was a magical time for the NBA...(Some fun Cubs stories from Hi-Tops too!!!)

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Thanks for the details. We watched yesterday but I didn't know about the ESPN2 version. Not a big fan of hearing MJ drop f-bombs ;)

Might not have had the "opportunity" to drop 'em if one Jason Caffey hadn't been a key player off the bench during those three championship runs (well, 2 1/2 of them). Then again, MJ's f-bomb to strikeout ratio "developed" in conjunction with the Birmingham Barons might have made Earl Weaver blush...

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Might not have had the "opportunity" to drop 'em if one Jason Caffey hadn't been a key player off the bench during those three championship runs (well, 2 1/2 of them). Then again, MJ's f-bomb to strikeout ratio "developed" in conjunction with the Birmingham Barons might have made Earl Weaver blush...
I'm very curious to see how they touch on the whole baseball thing, if at all...I'm guessing our (mine and theirs) opinions may be different...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I think many of us watched the bulls and cubs because WGN Chicagos own tv station carried it. It was one of the basic cable channels we all got. Micheal Jordan was must watch tv. When ever they were playing we had to go home to watch the bulls.
The two super stations......WGN and WTBS in the early days of cable.

Pro sports back then was the shizzle!

Can't stand watching any pro sports anymore.

Except the championships - and even then it depends on who's playing.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Yep, I grew up a Braves fan, and followed the Cubs because of WTBS and WGN in the 80s and 90s. It was great because the Cubs still played mostly day games back then and the Braves were at night so, you got 2 games on many days. Back then, that was a lot! The Braves are my team but, I still enjoy following the Cubs.

MJ and the Bulls were the only time I was an NBA fan. Once MJ retired, for good, I stopped watching the NBA and, still to the day, I rarely watch any pro basketball.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
I grew up in Chicago. I was in a great place in life (mid-twenties thru early thirties ) during this run.
At one point I was working in a bar downtown where a couple of the guys would go after games...I have some great stories...That was a magical time for the NBA...(Some fun Cubs stories from Hi-Tops too!!!)
So...................jealous of you. Going to Chicago and taking in a Cubs game at Wrigley and Hawks/Bulls game at the UC are all on my bucket list.

Reactions: The Ols

TraskiTideFan

1st Team
Apr 18, 2009
Savannah TN
One thing is for sure after starting watching this series, Jerry Krause was an enigma. A genius and an idiot all in one. The only other similar comparison I can think of in sports is Jerry Jones. Put together the best shows on earth and then let your ego tear it down at all cost.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
What the hell happened between Isiah Thomas and MJ that makes these two greats hate each other so much?
It started with the "Bad Boys" owning the Bulls in the playoffs during Jordan's early years. During games, MJ talks all the time, as does Thomas. Both kinda acted like punks with their constant smack talk during games throughout their entire careers. The Bad Boys were all that. They physically intimidated opponents. They fouled and took cheap shots constantly.

So, that's 3 reasons already for MJ to dislike Thomas - they owned the Bulls, they cheated, and Thomas was their leader who never shut up. Then the Bulls finally beat the Pistons in the playoffs (swept them, I believe), and Thomas stalks off the court without doing the handshakes after the last game.

Jordan brought that snub up the rest of his career. But it was probably more about losing to them before they reached the mountain top that bothered MJ. Jordan hated to lose, and the Pistons owned them - until they didn't.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
What the hell happened between Isiah Thomas and MJ that makes these two greats hate each other so much?
Isiah is a Chicago kid, known his family for years...My family owned a video store (Ha!) in a small town that his mother lived in...They were the worst. Always late, never rewound, always thought they should get the "New Releases", free stuff...yada yada...I say this to point out that Isiah is a punk and always has been...He never understood having money, just knew that he had it...You can see that in last night's episodes too...He's a smug punk...with money...

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Isiah is a Chicago kid, known his family for years...My family owned a video store (Ha!) in a small town that his mother lived in...They were the worst. Always late, never rewound, always thought they should get the "New Releases", free stuff...yada yada...I say this to point out that Isiah is a punk and always has been...He never understood having money, just knew that he had it...You can see that in last night's episodes too...He's a smug punk...with money...
Tell how you feel about him, don't hold back. :ROFLMAO: He looks like that to me and I only see him on TV.

• Haha
Reactions: Bazza and The Ols

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.