Jake Coker Appreciation Thread

TiderinAZ

1st Team
Sep 20, 2015
Carefree, AZ
Watched the 2015 Alabama - Georgia game. This was his first game as the starter and I realized Jake Coker was Joe Burrow before Joe Burrow. Grad transfer QB, he was tough as nails, emotional, great leader, strong arm, just mobile enough to get out of trouble and helped Alabama win a National Championship. He is one of my favorite players of the Saban era.

That was a great team. I miss the mean, hard hitting defenses. NOTs were so much fun to watch, the players were Really excited for each other. Alabama started the turnover belt!

Roll Tide and here‘s to hoping there is football soon.

Last edited:

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Coker is honestly disrespected outside of the fanbase, people always say "look at Alabama, they even won a title with Jake Coker at QB" but Jake Coker was a bad brother, I mean transferring to Alabama with hype only for Blake Sims to beat him out for the QB job, he gets his turn in 2015 and he struggled the 1st month, a lot even but something happened in the Georgia game it's as if he flipped a switch, and the team as a whole flipped a switch.

He was such a tough and clutch QB, I think about when he lowered his shoudler on that A&M defender, him making those clutch 4th quarter throws to Ridley and Stewart against UT, his throw to Stewart in the Iron Bowl, and his performance in the National Title game.

The rest of the country can say what they want about him but we do not win the title in 2015 without Jake, he was the embodiment of what the team stood for.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Jake got better and better as he played more. He is a guy who could have been a lot more appreciated after he left if he had had just one more year to play. I was surprised the Cardinals didn't try to hold on to him in a developmental role but I think he is happy where he is in life. If you listen to him speak he sounds as if winning that national championship was enough for him.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Coker is honestly disrespected outside of the fanbase, people always say "look at Alabama, they even won a title with Jake Coker at QB" but Jake Coker was a bad brother, I mean transferring to Alabama with hype only for Blake Sims to beat him out for the QB job, he gets his turn in 2015 and he struggled the 1st month, a lot even but something happened in the Georgia game it's as if he flipped a switch, and the team as a whole flipped a switch.

He was such a tough and clutch QB, I think about when he lowered his shoudler on that A&M defender, him making those clutch 4th quarter throws to Ridley and Stewart against UT, his throw to Stewart in the Iron Bowl, and his performance in the National Title game.

The rest of the country can say what they want about him but we do not win the title in 2015 without Jake, he was the embodiment of what the team stood for.
that 2015 game in athens was awesome. he just owned them. i re-watched that about two months ago

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Loved him...he scared me to death with his windup and slow release...but he rarely made serious mistakes. Great player on a great team!!!

Reactions: The Ols

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Watched the 2015 Alabama - Georgia game. This was his first game as the starter and I realized Jake Coker was Joe Burrow before Joe Burrow. Grad transfer QB, he was tough as nails, emotional, great leader, strong arm, just mobile enough to get out of trouble and helped Alabama win a National Championship. He is one of my favorite players of the Saban era.

That was a great team. I miss the mean, hard hitting defenses. NOTs were so much fun to watch, the players were Really excited for each other. Alabama started the turnover belt!

Roll Tide and hear‘s to hoping there is football soon.
I was a big fan of Jake Coker.
We got him at just the right time.
Their loss was our gain.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
that 2015 game in athens was awesome. he just owned them. i re-watched that about two months ago
Just rewatched it. A couple of things stood out:

1. Coker was just tough as nails.
2. UGA was a bunch of punks, talking smack, shoving people.
3. The officials did their damnedest to keep Georgia in that game in the early going.

Last edited:

TraskiTideFan

1st Team
Apr 18, 2009
Savannah TN
He was a blue collar quarterback. Hard worker with the talent to go with it. Also one thing that is not mention much was how dam tough he was.
Tough might not be the word. I am pretty sure the story goes that he broke his big toe wrestling one of the guys in the locker room just clowning around after a camp practice. He played the majority of that season with screws in his big toe. To paraphrase.....That's not TOUGH. That's TOUGH TOUGH :D

Reactions: Con

AlabamaBEN11

Scout Team
May 8, 2020
Good Morning everyone! First time poster! I love this thread. Jake Coker was definitely one of my favorite players. I remember all of the hype he had coming in. I read about "secret" conversation where Saban was saying he could be better than AJ. Either way, Jake was amazing and Lane did a great job integrating him into our system. Probably why he didn't do well outside of Bama.

I love Jake. Bottom line. 2015 was my favorite season. 2020 reminds of 2015 (a hungry team that feels disrespected).

Do yall think Bama wins if Jake develops and starts in 2014 over Blake?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Do yall think Bama wins if Jake develops and starts in 2014 over Blake?
Your offense would have been different, but unless you use Henry differently, I doubt you win it all. Blake could throw the long pass about as well as any college QB that I have ever seen. But your offense was the Cooper show that year.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

AlabamaBEN11

Scout Team
May 8, 2020
no offense to Jalen, but i think we would have beaten Clemson in the rematch if Coker was still playing.
I agree. I like Jalen (who doesnt) but we were limited to like 3/15 on Third downs right? It was his inability to complete passes and I think a more confident, older, experienced Jake could have done it. Especially with that phenomenal defense we had.

Do we 3 Peat with Tua at the wheel in 2017? (assuming he stayed healthy) I know we won but Tua would have started all season in this scenario and not surprised Georgia. Don't mean to ramble just a fun thought!

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Coker is in the top 5 of my favorite Bama players during the Saban era.

He improved so much as the season progressed.

He was so tough mentally and physically. He played through severe toe pain. He fulfilled his dream of a National Championship. I wish he could have made it in the NFL, but things happen for a reason.

I always liked listening to him talk too... he sounds like Elvis to me. lol. :)

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.