News Article: Ranking the SEC football coaches: 2020 edition

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
My personal opinion, Coach O is too high. We'll see if he's a great coach on how they manage success and losing star players and coaches.

He's probably better than I thought he was before last year, but I doubt he's a multiple NC winning type coach. JMO.

Reactions: seebell

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Ranking look right to me. Too early to tell about some of the new coaches. I've always felt the Vandy coaches were underrated considering what they have to work with.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If it's so easy for Orgeron to recruit at LSU, why did Mike Archer, Curley Hallman, and Gerry DiNardo fall flat on their faces at Red Stick?

Oh that's right - it got easy when Saban won LSU a national title and made in-state prospects want to stay at home to play.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Hmm. I thought Mullen was a good hire for y'all...
In some ways I think he was. But I also think the jury is still out on whether we'll be a serious contender for another title with him as head coach. If that's the standard one would apply.

I'm still not sold on his offensive play calling system, as mentioned in my post.

Then you have to wonder why we didn't see Trask as starting QB until Franks got the season-ending injury. Hence my QB-whisperer comment.

Maybe he just needs more time to get his recruits in the system - and get everyone to buy in to his system.

We'll see what happens. Now that we finally have a decent QB, there's no reason we shouldn't beat Georgia this year. Unless he Coach Mullen blows it with his play calling. Again.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
In some ways I think he was. But I also think the jury is still out on whether we'll be a serious contender for another title with him as head coach. If that's the standard one would apply.

I'm still not sold on his offensive play calling system, as mentioned in my post.

Then you have to wonder why we didn't see Trask as starting QB until Franks got the season-ending injury. Hence my QB-whisperer comment.

Maybe he just needs more time to get his recruits in the system - and get everyone to buy in to his system.

We'll see what happens. Now that we finally have a decent QB, there's no reason we shouldn't beat Georgia this year. Unless he Coach Mullen blows it with his play calling. Again.
To me, Mullen had historically done a pretty good job of punching above his weight on average and getting more out of lesser talent for the most part. However, he has a penchant for wetting the bed in really big, "get over the hump" type games. Every time it seemed he was ready to 'take the next step' at MSU, he would lay an egg. We'll see if the trend continues at UF.

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
My personal opinion, Coach O is too high. We'll see if he's a great coach on how they manage success and losing star players and coaches.

He's probably better than I thought he was before last year, but I doubt he's a multiple NC winning type coach. JMO.
Still waiting to see if Dabo is as good as people think he is! Hasn't lost his best assistant's as of yet! Granted he's not an SEC coach YET! JMO...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Still waiting to see if Dabo is as good as people think he is! Hasn't lost his best assistant's as of yet! Granted he's not an SEC coach YET! JMO...
I'm a little confused. This is about SEC coaches. Right now Coach O is another Gene Chizik. He's won ONE NC on the back of an unprecedented QB's amazing season.

Dabo? Folks might not like him, but he's proven he knows what he's doing.

Reactions: The Ols

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm a little confused. This is about SEC coaches. Right now Coach O is another Gene Chizik. He's won ONE NC on the back of an unprecedented QB's amazing season.

Dabo? Folks might not like him, but he's proven he knows what he's doing.
Uh, no.

Chizik was 5-19 at Iowa State when Auburn hired him. He went 8-5 the first year (taking over a 5-7 team Tubs left) and won it all the next year. After that he went 11-14 and had an 0-8 year in the SEC and was gone.

Orgeron was 10-25 at Ole Miss, a better record against a substantially tougher schedule (remember - Coach O's 2nd and 3rd years were when the SEC national title run began). He then took over a probation riddled mess from Kiffin and went 6-2, beating #5 Stanford along the way. He then took over LSU when Miles got fired after the clock mismanagement loss in 2016 and went 6-2, losing a close one to Alabama and one he should have won over Florida. And he was 19-7 coming into 2019.

Do I still think he's too high? Yes.

But he's not Gene Chizik unless he gets fired after a 3-8 season in 2021.

Reactions: The Ols and UAllday

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

I would say that UGA has performed extremely well in the recruiting area, and that may be the biggest reason that UF will not be favored to beat UGA again this year. Of course, I'll be hoping the Gators whip the Dawgs for my sake and yours, Bazza.

• Heart
Reactions: NoNC4Tubs and Bazza

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.