Need clarification on an "EXCEPTION" written in the balk rule

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
What situation or situations fall under this underlined exception?

8.05 If there is a runner, or runners, it is a balk when--

(d) The pitcher, while touching his plate, throws, or feints a throw to an unoccupied base,
except for the purpose of making a play;

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
What situation or situations fall under this underlined exception?

8.05 If there is a runner, or runners, it is a balk when--

(d) The pitcher, while touching his plate, throws, or feints a throw to an unoccupied base,
except for the purpose of making a play;
Maybe faking the throw over is okay if he then throws to a different base?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Maybe faking the throw over is okay if he then throws to a different base?
The initial rule is a pitcher CANNOT throw to an unoccupied base when his foot is on the rubber with a runner or runners on base.

So in my interpretation the pitcher (with a baserunner(s) ) cannot make a "pickoff move" or "fake a throw" toward an unoccupied base. However, there's a circumstance or circumstances called "for the purpose of making a play" that does allow it. I'm trying to get an example or examples of these exceptions.

TideHead

All-SEC
May 19, 2003
Runner at first breaks for second before the pitcher starts his pitching motion. Pitcher sees it, wheels around, and throws to second, which is an unoccupied base. They then get the runner in a run down. He was allowed to throw to an unoccupied base because he is making a play.

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
The initial rule is a pitcher CANNOT throw to an unoccupied base when his foot is on the rubber with a runner or runners on base.

So in my interpretation the pitcher (with a baserunner(s) ) cannot make a "pickoff move" or "fake a throw" toward an unoccupied base. However, there's a circumstance or circumstances called "for the purpose of making a play" that does allow it. I'm trying to get an example or examples of these exceptions.
I am 43. I have been around baseball my entire life. I have been a middle school coach for 17 years. This one is puzzling but here is an example (I think anyway):
Runners on first and third. Pitcher, in the stretch, has the base runner at first leave early (before he comes set or is coming set). The pitcher does a pick off to second base. Second base, isn’t occupied by either runner, but he is throwing to it (making a play as it says).
As far as faking the throw goes, take the same scenario and have the pitcher fake the throw, since it isn’t a balk to fake it to second. He could then possibly go after the base runner on third.

Hope these help. Baseball has so many possible plays that can happen in it and many of the rules are left to interpretation, unfortunately.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH and Bamabuzzard

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.