Nike and Others Cancel The Washington Redskins

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Yet, as of last year. 90% not offended in WaPo article.

Yet 6 months later a UC Berkeley study found:

“But a new study from academics at the University of Michigan and UC Berkeley contradicts that data. In a scientific survey of more than 1,000 Native Americans, roughly half of the participants said they were offended by the Redskins’ name. Moreover, 65 percent said they were offended by sports fans performing a “tomahawk chop,” and 73 percent said they were offended by fans imitating Native American dances.”

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i guess all of those folks who burned their nike gear over the kaepernick contract are going to have to hit the 4th of july sales for some more kindling.

• Thank You
Reactions: Jon

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Daniel Snyder needs to pay off the tribes like Florida State does in order to keep the name.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
It's beyond that now......no one cares if Native Americans are offended or not. Non-Native Americans have determined it's offensive, so it must go. It's no longer up for discussion....
Oh the irony of your second sentence. Personally, I don’t care; not a ‘skins fan, but it would be nice to actually have a truly unbiased poll of a cross section of several tribes across the country (as Snyder hands out fists of dollars 😜).

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It's beyond that now......no one cares if Native Americans are offended or not. Non-Native Americans have determined it's offensive, so it must go. It's no longer up for discussion....
It has been an offensive term since they named them the Redskins. They should’ve changed it back when the Indians changed their logo. I don’t know why people are mad at them finally leaning towards doing the right thing.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
As usual, the history is more interesting.
Until 1933, the Boston Redskins were known as the Boston Braves. They adopted "Redskins" to distinguish themselves from the Boston Braves professional baseball team.
redskinsnewspaper-638x379.png
The Boston Braves baseball team, in turn, had taken its name after it adopted the symbol of Tammany Hall.

"The [Boston baseball team] team adopted an official name, the Braves, for the first time in 1912. Their owner, James Gaffney, was a member of New York City's political machine, Tammany Hall, which used an Indian chief as their symbol."

So, New York Democrats are to blame.

Reactions: Jon

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've known quite a few Native Americans over the years. When the topic comes up, they mostly find the NA-centric names and gestures like the tomahawk chop an irritant only. I don't think it's a life-shaking matter with them. OTOH, they are just ordinary people and not activists...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Serious question for the board, would reverting to the original name, "Braves" be acceptable to you? Would the sports journalist community accept that?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Serious question for the board, would reverting to the original name, "Braves" be acceptable to you? Would the sports journalist community accept that?
Yes, but I have a feeling that Washington would never go for it since their baseball team's rivals are the Braves. It would probably be better to go with Warriors, Senators, or something else.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.