Will Alabama win a title in the next 4 years?

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Hell yes. I still think Bama had the best team each of the last two years were it not for injury. I start every season thinking Bama has about a 50/50 chance to win the NC. Seriously.

Isn't it still true that since starting coaching at LSU, every player who has played for Saban for three straight years has a championship ring?

Last edited:
  • Roll Tide!
Reactions: B1GTide

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
I say we play for 2-3 more and win 1-2 more. Even with the gap narrowing with teams like OU, UGA, Clemson, Ohio St, etc., It’s hard to bet against CNS.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Lots of competition with Ohio State, Clemson, LSU, Georgia and Oklahoma the possible reasons why Bama might not win one. But, I believe Bryce Young will be better than Tua and our defense is shaping up to be more like those dominant teams back in 2009-2012. I think there will be at least 1 title in the next 4 years assuming we don't lose 2 years to Covid.
I'll have what you are having. I hope you are correct.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Lots of competition with Ohio State, Clemson, LSU, Georgia and Oklahoma the possible reasons why Bama might not win one. But, I believe Bryce Young will be better than Tua and our defense is shaping up to be more like those dominant teams back in 2009-2012. I think there will be at least 1 title in the next 4 years assuming we don't lose 2 years to Covid.
Bold statement. What’s the basis?

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
If the defense can stay healthy and get back to something close to Bama standards then definitely yes. We always seem to have plenty of depth on offense.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Does Saban have another title run (or more) in him? Recruiting hasn’t slowed and the talent is oozing.

Personally, unless LSU wins the next 4 which I know is impossible, I want Bama to win one while traitor2 is there. That must be a great feeling when you are a student. When I was at LSU, we won the SEC my Freshman year under archer (88), but were terrible in 89-91 under archer and Curley Hallman. I still remember getting skull dragged by Tennessee and walking out the stadium to jacknut TN fans giving us grief. Our response was “we got Shaq” which was nice and all, but it wasn’t football. Besides, love Shaq, but we greatly underachieved with him.
I think the 3 teams with the highest chance of "will win a title in the next 4 years are:
1) Alabama
2) Clemson
3) Ohio State (depending on whether Day is the real deal or the next Mark Helfrich)

I would give these other teams an above average chance:
1) Georgia - so much talent but may have missed their window
2) Florida - a coach that can take MSU to #1 for five weeks cannot be just tossed aside; give him time
3) LSU - because success tends to perpetuate success, and the monkey is off his back now

And I would rate the following as contenders with below average chances of winning it all:
1) Oklahoma - not until they realize defense is more than 1/2 the game
2) Penn St - if they can find a way to avoid that one belly flop game every year
3) TCU - if they can get through a year unscathed and get lucky enough to have two big guns exhaust each other in the semi-final, I could see this
4) Michigan - lots of talent, but their head coach is good at spotting talent and terrible at in-game coaching

But there's a wild card with Alabama, too - Saban's age, health, and life priorities.

Saban right now is 68 years old. Today, in fact, Saban is the same age Bryant was on May 30, 1982 (and was dead less than 8 months later).

Of course, there are numerous differences. Bryant was a notorious drinker and smoker who looked 80-ish in the early 70s (if not before). He didn't take care of himself (by his own admission) plus health care in 1982 was pretty good, but it had nothing on the things we can do to sustain both life and quality of life nowadays.

Bryant looked older than 68, Saban doesn't look like a 68-year old man despite the fact TV is now in High Def.

But the biggest question to me is this: "Has this pandemic resulted in Saban enjoying more time with his family and finding a different priority than college football?" That happens, particularly as guys get older since no man has ever said "I wish I'd spent more time at work" on his death bed.

In my view THAT is the determining question as to whether we can pull in another one. Is his drive for seven all-consuming?

Saban strikes me as the kind of guy who has to be in perpetual motion with his mind, the 19-hour a day workaholic. As long as that is still his makeup, we're in the hunt.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think the 3 teams with the highest chance of "will win a title in the next 4 years are:
1) Alabama
2) Clemson
3) Ohio State (depending on whether Day is the real deal or the next Mark Helfrich)

I would give these other teams an above average chance:
1) Georgia - so much talent but may have missed their window
2) Florida - a coach that can take MSU to #1 for five weeks cannot be just tossed aside; give him time
3) LSU - because success tends to perpetuate success, and the monkey is off his back now

And I would rate the following as contenders with below average chances of winning it all:
1) Oklahoma - not until they realize defense is more than 1/2 the game
2) Penn St - if they can find a way to avoid that one belly flop game every year
3) TCU - if they can get through a year unscathed and get lucky enough to have two big guns exhaust each other in the semi-final, I could see this
4) Michigan - lots of talent, but their head coach is good at spotting talent and terrible at in-game coaching

But there's a wild card with Alabama, too - Saban's age, health, and life priorities.

Saban right now is 68 years old. Today, in fact, Saban is the same age Bryant was on May 30, 1982 (and was dead less than 8 months later).

Of course, there are numerous differences. Bryant was a notorious drinker and smoker who looked 80-ish in the early 70s (if not before). He didn't take care of himself (by his own admission) plus health care in 1982 was pretty good, but it had nothing on the things we can do to sustain both life and quality of life nowadays.

Bryant looked older than 68, Saban doesn't look like a 68-year old man despite the fact TV is now in High Def.

But the biggest question to me is this: "Has this pandemic resulted in Saban enjoying more time with his family and finding a different priority than college football?" That happens, particularly as guys get older since no man has ever said "I wish I'd spent more time at work" on his death bed.

In my view THAT is the determining question as to whether we can pull in another one. Is his drive for seven all-consuming?

Saban strikes me as the kind of guy who has to be in perpetual motion with his mind, the 19-hour a day workaholic. As long as that is still his makeup, we're in the hunt.
I'd add Georgia to your first tier. I mean, they've been closest to anyone who's not won one two different times ('17 and '12). Kirby, although I no longer respect him, has them on the verge.

And I'd just remove whole second tier and move UF to doubtful. You make a good point about their coach, but as much as Bazza might disagree, I don't think UF is anywhere close to winning a NC.

And, If you've got to include LSU, just put them down there with the other wannabes. Let's face it, they won in 2020, a year when nothing makes sense, and that explains everything!!! It was the perfect storm of having the right OC and QB and senior-laden team which caught their nemesis having the worst possible game they could have and nobody can convince me CEO had much to do with it. I'll gladly eat crow if he can rebuild (look what they lost last year) and get them back in NC contention in the next four years.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'd add Georgia to your first tier. I mean, they've been closest to anyone who's not won one two different times ('17 and '12). Kirby, although I no longer respect him, has them on the verge.
Kirby can sure build a team but he sucks at coaching them. I would keep them at tier 2 like Selma because I have a feeling that Kirby's Cupcake Buffett of the SEC E is coming to an end.

And I'd just remove whole second tier and move UF to doubtful. You make a good point about their coach, but as much as Bazza might disagree, I don't think UF is anywhere close to winning a NC.
Well Mac left him a big mess, and he is moving fast in a state void of competition. So Kirby needs to beat him while he can before this rivalry turns the way it should be.

And, If you've got to include LSU, just put them down there with the other wannabes. Let's face it, they won in 2020, a year when nothing makes sense, and that explains everything!!! It was the perfect storm of having the right OC and QB and senior-laden team which caught their nemesis having the worst possible game they could have and nobody can convince me CEO had much to do with it. I'll gladly eat crow if he can rebuild (look what they lost last year) and get them back in NC contention in the next four years.
You really cant write them off of anything really.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Kirby can sure build a team but he sucks at coaching them. I would keep them at tier 2 like Selma because I have a feeling that Kirby's Cupcake Buffett of the SEC E is coming to an end.

Well Mac left him a big mess, and he is moving fast in a state void of competition. So Kirby needs to beat him while he can before this rivalry turns the way it should be.

You really cant write them off of anything really.
1. Agree Kirby's coaching is still in question, but talent wise, the Jimmies and Joes can sometimes be more important than the x's and o's.
2. Agree Kirby better get it now, while he can, but until UF beats Georgia and wins the east, Georgia is just way out front of UF.
3. I just did. ;) But seriously, IF they can rebuild and overcome their success, I'll give him credit. The history of college football is littered with coaches/teams that won one NC. The truly great coaches and programs know how to manage their success. Verdict on Ed is still out on that one.

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
Say what you may, of me...

But (under the command of Coach Saban) at the beginning of every season I honestly believe Bama has a better chance than any other school to win the championship...and I fully expect them to do just that.

My mindset is this simple: If any
other team doesn’t like my confidence (not arrogance)...prove me wrong. If you can, I’m man enough to respect your team’s ability. Just know that every year, it will run through Tuscaloosa.

Bamaboy16

Suspended
Dec 6, 2019
We have so much depth and talent now. We have Charlie Strong helping Golding behind the scenes. Defense over the next 2-3 years is going to be very dominant if we have less injuries and players go all in

Oh and not to mention Dave Ballou!!

Reactions: crimsonaudio

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The question is: did Georgia's window close?

Smart's ascent is concurrent with the implosion of both Florida and Tennessee (just as Mississippi State's rise in the late 90s was due largely to probation for both Alabama and Ole Miss plus LSU going through a decade without a decent coach.

Mullen necessarily shortens his window unless MSU was an illusion.

LSU's placement is because success perpetuates success, which is how Auburn wound up in the 2013 title game with the seniors who were freshmen in 2010 plus the recruits obtained during the interim. In the case of LSU, they have a much larger base to work from that they aren't splitting (in state) with another power. It's not that I'm a believer in Ed Orgeron so much as LSU is situated perfectly to do well with even a minimally competent coach.

DanoCanuck

3rd Team
Feb 5, 2020
I think Bama is in as good a spot as possible. As long as Saban has the drive, and there’s no reason to think he doesn’t (just look at the recruiting haul in the last 3 days!), Bama is primed for win another sooner rather than later.

I do think the pandemic might play a part in the big picture though. I’m not seeing a season in 2020. Cases are rising and people are nervous. Football is not on most people’s minds. They are worried about kids going to school, their jobs, etc. Just a lot going on.

Cheers and Roll Tide...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.