Political aspects of the pandemic...

Status
Not open for further replies.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I'm just going to say I hate Facebook at this point and have unfriended a lot of people during this pandemic. I guess it shouldn't surprise me anymore all the dumb stuff people share on there related to the pandemic and politics. Most of it is from Russia and the like I'm sure. We are apparently a nation of gullible rubes that somehow won't trust scientists (and I'm related to a lot of them), but they will trust Fox News opinion shows as the truth and trust a NYC con man.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Is this solely confined to the political? Can we also cover business aspects here? For example, Marathon shut down 2 refineries, which is at least in part due to covid.

Reactions: bama579

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
This is what happens when you have zero national strategy or guidelines, zero state level strategy or guidelines, and kick everything down for the local yokels to figure out. FYI - GA passed SB 359 which was supposed to be a "consumer protection" bill during the middle of the pandemic. Not sure if anyone really even noticed they snuck these covid related items in.. I guess a dead consumer is protected somehow.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
MY opinion is that even though they are related the economic COVID topics could easily support their own thread and people can choose to open that up or open up the political thread or both. I say open up a new thread (just my opinion, not a directive).

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
This is what happens when you have zero national strategy or guidelines, zero state level strategy or guidelines, and kick everything down for the local yokels to figure out. FYI - GA passed SB 359 which was supposed to be a "consumer protection" bill during the middle of the pandemic. Not sure if anyone really even noticed they snuck these covid related items in.. I guess a dead consumer is protected somehow.

Yeah, safety for businesses. It is certainly not to protect citizens.

Reactions: B1GTide

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
MY opinion is that even though they are related the economic COVID topics could easily support their own thread and people can choose to open that up or open up the political thread or both. I say open up a new thread (just my opinion, not a directive).
Yes yes.

FWIW, I started a new thread on the economy, in case it helps. Don't see why cv19 aspects couldn't be posted there along with other ones including how it impacts the upcoming election. Lot of space there for all....

https://www.tidefans.com/forums/thr...-it-pertains-to-the-november-election.317696/

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
This is what happens when you have zero national strategy or guidelines, zero state level strategy or guidelines, and kick everything down for the local yokels to figure out.
Or, like here, the state level pols ignore local issues because we say so and you have to do what we say.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Trump is legit mental. Now mail in voting is good. Only in FL? Who knows, tune in tomorrow to see him 180 on it.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
And now for the personal bombshell - we're going to adding PCR testing in-house rapidly. I'm told it's by Abbott (there's a separate issue there).

Ambivalence - thankful you have a job during a pandemic while others are (sadly) less fortunate while simultaneously just wanting a bit of relief, too. It's not the worst thing in my life, and I'll handle it. But my God, we've barely launched the OTHER one at this point.........

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
And now for the personal bombshell - we're going to adding PCR testing in-house rapidly. I'm told it's by Abbott (there's a separate issue there).

Ambivalence - thankful you have a job during a pandemic while others are (sadly) less fortunate while simultaneously just wanting a bit of relief, too. It's not the worst thing in my life, and I'll handle it. But my God, we've barely launched the OTHER one at this point.........
Not my circus, but the BioFire seems like a better test from where I sit.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

teachers are being told that they cannot break their contracts and go to other counties either, if they do they will lose their GA Teaching Cert over the breach of contract

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Not my circus, but the BioFire seems like a better test from where I sit.

Probably is.

This thing is starting to get to me, and I called a friend to chat for an hour and even called my Mom, which I never do to unload because, well, she's old now (and Mom never handled it well anyway).

I realized today why I'm kinda run down on this, and I apologize now if this sound like a childish whine, but I understand what's going on.

Covid-19 is a big thing and - if you're fortunate enough to be working......and you don't work in Medicine.....then you have a few minutes or hours where you can focus on something that while, yes, you have to take precautions, you're not talking 24/7 about this disease. OTOH - if I get on social media, I see it. Here, I see it. When I go out what little I do, I see it. And then AT WORK, I'm BOMBARDED with it - calls from nurses to ask "which swab do we use for this particular Covid", calling nurses back to tell them they have another positive patient, and about every 4-5 minutes "we have a STAT Covid test."

Since I travel a lot, I use that time to unwind. Guess what I can't do right now?

Anyway, I may wind up taking up a sabbatical from both here and online, so if I do, don't anyone take it personally or think they did something. I have several books that have nothing to do with medicine that I can read, and I have several old shows I never saw I can watch.

I walked out today, and because of the setup, I now have to punch the time clock by the ER. Today - for the first time I can remember - we had TWO GSWs in the ER at the same time. (It's probably happened, but I wasn't here when it did). I walked through the door and suddenly felt like I had a 500 pound backpack on. I got home safe and dozed right off for the afternoon nap, but then when I woke up I also felt a little "depressed" (probably the wrong word; melancholy?).

It's one of those things where just getting away from a particular subject sounds so inviting. I'll be fine, and like I said - sorry if I sound like I'm whining. I count myself blessed/lucky every day - because I've been the one that lost the job before, so I know that anxiety. I plan to be normal and involved, but if I wind up not here or online awhile, don't think I got angry or am too something. It's just for my mental health.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Probably is.

This thing is starting to get to me, and I called a friend to chat for an hour and even called my Mom, which I never do to unload because, well, she's old now (and Mom never handled it well anyway).

I realized today why I'm kinda run down on this, and I apologize now if this sound like a childish whine, but I understand what's going on.

Covid-19 is a big thing and - if you're fortunate enough to be working......and you don't work in Medicine.....then you have a few minutes or hours where you can focus on something that while, yes, you have to take precautions, you're not talking 24/7 about this disease. OTOH - if I get on social media, I see it. Here, I see it. When I go out what little I do, I see it. And then AT WORK, I'm BOMBARDED with it - calls from nurses to ask "which swab do we use for this particular Covid", calling nurses back to tell them they have another positive patient, and about every 4-5 minutes "we have a STAT Covid test."

Since I travel a lot, I use that time to unwind. Guess what I can't do right now?

Anyway, I may wind up taking up a sabbatical from both here and online, so if I do, don't anyone take it personally or think they did something. I have several books that have nothing to do with medicine that I can read, and I have several old shows I never saw I can watch.

I walked out today, and because of the setup, I now have to punch the time clock by the ER. Today - for the first time I can remember - we had TWO GSWs in the ER at the same time. (It's probably happened, but I wasn't here when it did). I walked through the door and suddenly felt like I had a 500 pound backpack on. I got home safe and dozed right off for the afternoon nap, but then when I woke up I also felt a little "depressed" (probably the wrong word; melancholy?).

It's one of those things where just getting away from a particular subject sounds so inviting. I'll be fine, and like I said - sorry if I sound like I'm whining. I count myself blessed/lucky every day - because I've been the one that lost the job before, so I know that anxiety. I plan to be normal and involved, but if I wind up not here or online awhile, don't think I got angry or am too something. It's just for my mental health.
Brother, I understand every word coming off your fingers. I get it. And we just switched software programs - of course nothing went as planned - it would be pain enough without that.

Plus we've had several cases of COVID now and I had a 2-in-1 exposure so had to get tested. I walked in for lunch (I'm five minutes from work) to tell Mrs. NT17 and before I can open my mouth she says "I don't feel well at all." Well, poo. Cancelled the afternoon and went for testing (both negative on the BioFire Panel and so far symptom-free since).

Some days it wears on you anyway, but I think everyone is feeling it now - more so us in the medical fields. And trying to deal with the BS people do and say has gotten past old. I've had to hide away a few times for a while. You take all the time you need.

Funny thing is, I also get the having to figure out what is wrong with you. We try to be tough so try not to think about it but eventually something clicks and it's like "Oh...NOW I get it..." I think it's those autism genes in us, maybe.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I can certainly relate to the daily pressure you guys are feeling. Every time I look in someone's mouth it's like sticking your head in a lion's mouth. We all realize it is a race to see if we can get the vaccine before we get sick. I don't like my chances at all. Most of our patients think we are all being manipulated, and this will all be over after November.

I snapped last Friday because my hygienist went into one of my treatment rooms to take an x-ray and raised my chair past the point where we could get it to go back down. I had to work standing to see my final patients, then after work I tried for three hours to fix the chair. On Saturday, I was able to get an equipment repairman to come to the office and at least get the chair down so I could work sitting this week. The chair is still not fixed. All this so my hygienist wouldn't have to bend over to see to take a x-ray.

We got news today of a Martin, Tennessee dental hygienist and her husband who have both gotten sick. The husband is on a ventilator. I don't know if they picked it up in the dental office or not.

I've come home in an ill mood several times. Our dog has been my rock. She gives me that unconditional love that calms me after a tough day at the office. There are more tough days than easy right now. I give thanks every day on my way to work that I have a job. We try to be as careful as we possibly can. It's either that or stay home and lose my savings. Right now I choose to gamble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.