Ruth Bader Ginsburg has died - complications of cancer at 87

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yep, they essentially held up the Supreme Court for a year because they refused to budge, even when Obama put forth a candidate that they would have done backflips for a year earlier. Obama tried to do the right thing to avoid that, but common sense had left the building. Why? Because the GOP knew that the open seat could sway the election. And it was a huge factor.

Because of the 4-4 split risk, the Supreme Court only took on slam dunk cases for a year. Politics usurped justice - again. But this has been an unwritten rule for a long time - no new justices in a presidential election year, so I really didn't think too much about it at the time.

Trump will probably be asked to wait until the election is over to nominate someone to help him and other GOP senator seats in the election again. Not sure that he will listen.
they (primarily he) are desperate to make this election about anything other than the absolutely catastrophic failure that was our nation's response to covid.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Well, this is as good a place as any to link this.

The stats geeks have calculated which Senate races are most influenceable by small donations. My personal voter power cutoff is 10 — anything above that threshold has been getting donations. I recognize that my social media is furious with McConnell, but please don’t waste your money on Kentucky.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It's 2020.

If you think the year has been rough so far, just wait until a contested Presidential election winds up before an 8-member Supreme Court.

• Sad
Reactions: MobtownK

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'd bet dollars to donuts it will be nine by then...
You mean by late November/early December when the case would make it there?
Maybe, but I'm not so sure.

My suspicion is that Collins's loyalty/idea on this may be contingent upon whether she wins or loses. I think she's more likely to give a "yes" vote post-election to put Barrett on the court if Collins loses than if she wins.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Well, this is as good a place as any to link this.

The stats geeks have calculated which Senate races are most influenceable by small donations. My personal voter power cutoff is 10 — anything above that threshold has been getting donations. I recognize that my social media is furious with McConnell, but please don’t waste your money on Kentucky.

For the last damned time, SENATE races ARE NOT "gerrymandered" (no reflection on you, sir, but the tease on the article).

Also - just wait. The moment Democrats are safely ensconced post-election, gerrymandering will both cease to be an excuse and quite a popular way of trying to make sure they stay in power.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
For the last damned time, SENATE races ARE NOT "gerrymandered" (no reflection on you, sir, but the tease on the article).

Also - just wait. The moment Democrats are safely ensconced post-election, gerrymandering will both cease to be an excuse and quite a popular way of trying to make sure they stay in power.
Actually, in a way, the senate is sort of the original, baked into the constitution, gerrymandering job...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
You mean by late November/early December when the case would make it there?
Maybe, but I'm not so sure.

My suspicion is that Collins's loyalty/idea on this may be contingent upon whether she wins or loses. I think she's more likely to give a "yes" vote post-election to put Barrett on the court if Collins loses than if she wins.
So far, her pattern is to wring her hands and then go along with Trump...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Wouldn't surprise me one bit if RBG's seat isn't filled within two weeks.
It wouldn't surprise me at all, but let's not pretend the Dems wouldn't do the exact same thing if the situation were reversed. A (D) controlled senate and an almost sure loss for the (R) and a conservative judge passed.

Plus if Hillary had won in 2016, RBG would have retired and this wouldn't even be a discussion.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Mark Kelly wins he could be seated in Nov. you only need 3
IMO, the GOP is going to put their person on the supreme court. No matter what happens to Trump or the GOP seats, the GOP will push through his nominee. The only question is timing - before or after the election.

They can only stop themselves, and that is not going to happen.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.