Koolaid? Who's this kid?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I mainly use Twitter to follow Bama football and other sports, but last night there were several tweets about a guy who goes by the nickname "Koolaid."

I tried to do a forum search about him but didn't get a hit. From the tweets it looks like he's a 2 sport star in basketball and football.

So for those in the know, what's the scoop on this kid and where does Bama stand with him?

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I mainly use Twitter to follow Bama football and other sports, but last night there were several tweets about a guy who goes by the nickname "Koolaid."

I tried to do a forum search about him but didn't get a hit. From the tweets it looks like he's a 2 sport star in basketball and football.

So for those in the know, what's the scoop on this kid and where does Bama stand with him?
[/QUOTE]

I think he ripped it from Marlon "Fruit Punch" Humphrey...

Reactions: BamaMoon

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The player that you are referring to is
Ga'Quincy McKinstry
Here is a link on him.
Thanks for that! 5 star recruit in football that can play defensive back or receiver...but I assume he projects as a cornerback in football.

I also see why there is lots of interests from Auburn fans about his hoop skills. Don't know if CNO is looking at him as a potential 2 sport star or not, but assuming Auburn is.

When's the last time we had a legit two sport football/basketball player??? I can't remember.

gymcoach

1st Team
Dec 6, 2006
Thanks for that! 5 star recruit in football that can play defensive back or receiver...but I assume he projects as a cornerback in football.

I also see why there is lots of interests from Auburn fans about his hoop skills. Don't know if CNO is looking at him as a potential 2 sport star or not, but assuming Auburn is.

When's the last time we had a legit two sport football/basketball player??? I can't remember.
There was an article that implied that he wanted to play both sports in college and all of his top schools were going to allow him to do so. That included Alabama so I am assuming CNO does have interest in him.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
There was an article that implied that he wanted to play both sports in college and all of his top schools were going to allow him to do so. That included Alabama so I am assuming CNO does have interest in him.
I believe I read where CNO has met with him and is good with it. He would be on a football scholarship so it would not count toward the total basketball scholarships of 13. He would be a quality "walk-on".

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I believe I read where CNO has met with him and is good with it. He would be on a football scholarship so it would not count toward the total basketball scholarships of 13. He would be a quality "walk-on".
Right, I think that's how it works today.

I seem to recall how Coach Bryant maybe pulled that off back in the day and some NCAA rules got changed/modified to keep that from happening.

gymcoach

1st Team
Dec 6, 2006
I believe you are right too. Bryant used to use basketball scholarships for football players and the NCAA put a stop to being able to do that. It seems a lot of rules are changed because of the Two GOATs, Bryant and Saban.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I believe you are right too. Bryant used to use basketball scholarships for football players and the NCAA put a stop to being able to do that. It seems a lot of rules are changed because of the Two GOATs, Bryant and Saban.
I recall my dad talking about that, but for the most part coach Bryant I think probably used golf, swimming etcetera scholarships not basketball. At least that is what I gathered from his stories. I do know coach Bryant supported the basketball team at Bama and coach Newton had some great teams back then! Seen some great games at Coleman Coliseum between Bama and Tennessee, Bernard King, Ernie Grunfeld from Tennessee, Reggie King, T.R. Dunn, Anthony Murray for Bama!!

Didn't enjoy the outcome of the game but still!! Bama was a very formidable opponent in Basketball back then. ;)

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017

I'll have you know i was on the bama ultimate frisbee team and the All GDI drinking team at alabama in 1979, so hey , we all have our calling.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I'll have you know i was on the bama ultimate frisbee team and the All GDI drinking team at alabama in 1979, so hey , we all have our calling.
I got kicked out of IM softball for a year or I'd have been a three sport guy (IM) in college...LOL!!!
* I deserved it, but it was worth it!!!

BigGunn

1st Team
Dec 5, 2004
Pace, Florida
Keith Holcomb SP? Football, linebacker, special teams. Baseball, outfielder. Left Football in senior year to concentrate on baseball, I believe. About 3-4 years ago.

Reactions: seebell

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Spring sports works well for most of the players, but basketball though I think last time I saw one was a South Carolina player< I think Bruce Ellington. That kid did well in both sports.

I'm not sure how it would work though. My guess is that they would miss first two months of the season and join basketball team in December/Jan.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I get the impression from Barners they think they have a good chance for him, but I like what I'm hearing from our local experts.

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
He is announcing soon. Hopefully he understands this is a business decision and all pro coaches talk about players from Alabama being different because of Saban’s hard coaching. Hey Koolaid, look what Marlon Humphrey Just got in terms of lifelong money...decisions are forever; don’t screw it up.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
He is announcing soon. Hopefully he understands this is a business decision and all pro coaches talk about players from Alabama being different because of Saban’s hard coaching. Hey Koolaid, look what Marlon Humphrey Just got in terms of lifelong money...decisions are forever; don’t screw it up.
Not getting my hopes up on this one.

The Bagman cometh... ;)

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
Not getting my hopes up on this one.

The Bagman cometh... ;)
i understand your sentiment but man, if this does happen with any kid at any school who is recruiting against bama, you are taking thousands now and potentially forgoing millions later, as my old engineer dad used to say to me, Son did you do the math on that?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.