State of Alabama defense

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Have not read the whole thread; but just heard Bama "D" has the worst 3 and out percentage in the country, 9%. NEVER thought I would hear that stat??
Well that`ll certainly get us beat sooner or later. Somebody slows down our O ( UGA ? ) and we`ll be in deep kimchi.

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
I say we fire saban, golding and whoever this [mush] guy is, fire his butt too. That should fix it.;)

• Haha
Reactions: mlh

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
Could you simplify the defense that Saban has and make it work? If that was the case then right now that would be the direction I would be going if I was Goldling. Not for the players as much as for him.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Any truth to the rumor that a current analyst will start calling defensive plays? I don’t see how we can do that unless an existing coach moves into an off -the-field role.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Any truth to the rumor that a current analyst will start calling defensive plays? I don’t see how we can do that unless an existing coach moves into an off -the-field role.
I know this board isn't big on rumors but to update the current situation...

A verified person on Twitter posted that a change was coming, citing sources. Another verified Twitter used, who is more reputable said a change at DC has not been made.

So... it should be taken with a grain of salt at the moment. It would be very tricky to make a change with less than a week to prep for Georgia.

• Thank You
Reactions: REDSEA, UAH and Con

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
A change could mean Coach Pete will be in the press box, so he can see how bad our guys are out of place and can't tackle.

The tackling problem won't be so easy to fix. Guys out of place are going to press, and take bad angles and/or make arm tackles. They have now all come from HS programs where tackling is optional. The lack of spring ball, and limited fall camp also add to this mess.

Simplifying the reads is the best bet to fixing the guys out of position problem. The other issues will settle down, if we can do that one simple thing.

But I could be wrong!

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
A change could mean Coach Pete will be in the press box, so he can see how bad our guys are out of place and can't tackle.

The tackling problem won't be so easy to fix. Guys out of place are going to press, and take bad angles and/or make arm tackles. They have now all come from HS programs where tackling is optional. The lack of spring ball, and limited fall camp also add to this mess.

Simplifying the reads is the best bet to fixing the guys out of position problem. The other issues will settle down, if we can do that one simple thing.

But I could be wrong!
I'm not so sure it's just simplifying the reads. It might be a bit bigger.

Here's a great article on how the defense and coverages work in the saban d backfield:

the thing about this article is that is assumes a base 4-3 or 4-2 nickel. We run the 3-4 and nickel in a 3-3, even though most of the time the 3rd LB is a Jack who acts just like a DE. I think the big problem is that sometimes, if the offense shifts just right, we try to get that OLB to act like the SS in the diagrams from the article. That's a huge ask since most of the guys we recruit as JLBs are really WDE guys who we play as hybrids. The OLB has to know not only the rules and fundamentals of playing like a DE/EDGE, but he's also got to know all the coverage rules in this article. In addition, the DBs and LBs behind them have to think, am I on the side of the field with the OLB, or the true DE, because that matters, sometimes, especially since we line the OLB up most of the time to the weak side, but if the offense shifts, now he's strong side, so the rule could be different.

In in the past I've been a big fan of the 3-3-5 just because it can create many more variables and options that the DC can bring into play because that OLB is typically more versatile than a traditional DE, BUT I'm starting to convert to the idea that a 4-2-5 could be a better option against teams who play fastball, and use a lot of formations and motions to confuse those decisions.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

But I could be wrong!
I have a hard time believing much change in scheme or coaching personnel with UGA coming up. It's just not the right time and opponent...

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Having football acumen is not enough. You have to be able to communicate it to 18-21 year olds. It is about teaching them, not how much you know.
That has been a concern since Pruitt left. The bit of practice that we have seen on video over the previous two years raises doubts in my mind about how both OLB and ILB are coached. Obviously two different coaches and different approaches but with the same doubtful results. I can't help but believe that Golding is a technician who doesn't connect his approach to the explosive quickness required for a player to be effective on the field. If we think about the great LB's over even the CNS era we seldom have seen such indecisiveness.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
As offense has evolved, defense has as well. Gone are the days of the 350 lb nose tackle plugging the middle, because no one is leaning on that running game to do 90% of the work anymore. Now, everyone on defense must be athletic, and just as athletic and fast as the guys on the opposing offense. Linebackers are playing at just a shade over 220 lbs now. Defensive backs are not 6'3", 225, they are 5'11", 200. And fast. I think it all comes to a head in tackling. These guys are just not as big and strong. They are quick. Being in position is less important now, because only the fastest guys on the opposing offense will be able to outrun the defensive secondary in a footrace. But, they will get yards, and by default, scores.

Defensive philosophy, to me, is to work with what you have. You have fast, small-ish, athletic guys on defense. They can make up ground quickly, but they might not be sure tacklers, and stopping the run while also tracking the middle of the field, is not going to be easy. We are giving up a lot of yards on plays that are sure-fire passing situations, and we are opting to yield those yards, as we can catch an open receiver who just caught a pass. Problem is, we are out of position to stop the completion in the first place. Man to man defense is my best solution for this. Even a spy, for the QB runs that inevitably break loose. Zone is not going to work, and blitzing puts too many guys out of position on a quick release or running free QB. Blitzing is only effective against a pocket passer who isn't a risk to get past those rushers. I want those defenders to be indeed to be on an island, but excellent in man coverage.

If we don't have that available, or can't get it coached up, then I have no solution for defense. Against UGA, throw everything I just said out the window. Bennett is not the running QB we struggle against. He's not lead-footed, but it's not how UGA has operated through this season so far. Pressure him into mistakes.

Reactions: UAH and Con

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I have a hard time believing much change in scheme or coaching personnel with UGA coming up. It's just not the right time and opponent...
I agree. I am firmly in the camp of "something has to change with PG" - but this is probably not the week to pull the trigger on it. It is, however, the week to simplify things on that side of the ball.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.