JessN: Tennessee preview: Basket-case Vols have few weapons, less direction

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Tennessee preview: Basket-case Vols have few weapons, less direction
by Jess Nicholas, TideFans Editor-in-chief
October 23, 2020

A 34-7 loss last week to Kentucky was more or less the post-Lane Kiffin era of Tennessee football wrapped up into a single, 60-minute nightmare. Two pick-sixes started the fun, a Tennessee quarterback got benched, and defensive line coach Jimmy Brumbaugh was fired – in the middle of the game itself, according to a Kentucky news site.

Tennessee has become a sad sack of a program ever since Nick Saban arrived at Alabama. Saban had upset Tennessee in the SEC Championship Game while at LSU, and he has continued his dominance of the Volunteers ever since touching down on a Tuscaloosa tarmac. He has yet to lose to Tennessee during his time here, and while Saban has been a constant on the Alabama sideline since 2007, the Volunteers have employed five permanent head coaches and two interims during those years.

CONTINUE READING

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
While I agree with the defensive assessment, it pains me to no end that is the state of Alabama football, where our defense is consistently less capable than our SEC competition.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAllday and B1GTide

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I think this score has a lot of 2nd and 3rd teamers in for a lot of game. Would like to see Bryce get some snaps, and more work for backups - wides, lines, backs, everyone.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Dont have a clue as to points...but I have a feeling that this game will look different. They have nothing to lose. No pressure to win other than to stop the bleeding. Bama has a history of not playing so well in these games. Gotta win that game. I know people are taking the game for granted..but I never take UT for granted. Dont want a redo of 2009 for sure. Pruitt will have them ready in the 1st half. I think we win...but it may not be as easy as people think.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Thanks, for the excellent analysis as always, Jess. I think you are pretty spot on. I keep thinking Moses is going to get it together. He was at least better in the 2nd half last week as were our defense in general. I surely do hope for an early lead and a chance to play some backups and I hope for no injuries. That being said, this is UT and we don't need to let up. We need to put a beat-down on them. RTR!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.