Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Thank you.

2020 stats:
Smith: 45 rec, 556 yards, 4 TDs, 12.4 ypc avg
Waddle: 25 rec, 557 yards, 4 TDs, 22.3 ypc avg
Metchie: 21 rec, 499 yards, 3 TDs, 23.8 ypc avg
However, you can argue that Metchie has had the "roof" of two burners and has benefited hugely from it. Smith is in the 4.4 range and Waddle is actually sub-4.4. Metchie is 4.6. There's no getting away from the fact that, instead of two burners on the outside, we now have one. I am a John Metchie fan. His hands are unmatched. It's just a different dynamic. No one can just be plugged in for a Waddle...

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Have you watched Metchie this year? He has nothing left to prove.
I’m sold, but it’s still only been a couple of games that he’s put up these numbers. He has to have similar numbers to Waddle so there are two receivers the defense knows they have to defend. Face it, Waddle had the deep safety every play and that opened up the rest of the field for the others to run away from man, or sit down in wider zones.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH and UAllday

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
Also, it was the personnel in front of Waddle last year - Ruggs, Jeudy, Smith. Who you gonna bench to play Waddle wide? He also has a year of experience. It's going to be interesting to see if one of our burner 5* freshmen start to see some PT...
I was saying the same thing during the game about the freshmen

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
However, you can argue that Metchie has had the "roof" of two burners and has benefited hugely from it. Smith is in the 4.4 range and Waddle is actually sub-4.4. Metchie is 4.6. There's no getting away from the fact that, instead of two burners on the outside, we now have one. I am a John Metchie fan. His hands are unmatched. It's just a different dynamic. No one can just be plugged in for a Waddle...
Nope - With Waddle sidelined the entire game he had 7 catches for 151 yards.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
You said it better than I did for sure. He’s had one game without Waddle and has performed well. A few more and the defense will have to adjust.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You said it better than I did for sure. He’s had one game without Waddle and has performed well. A few more and the defense will have to adjust.
The fact is that Smith has been doubled all season, not Waddle. Waddle has lined up in the slot to avoid it.

You cannot double both WRs. Defenses will continue to double Smith and it still won't matter because he is uncoverable. Bolden will get Waddle's catches, but he won't break one for a 75 yard TD. Metchie will continue to get single coverage opposite Smith.

TBH, the loss of Smith would have been more damaging because it would have forced Waddle to play at WR and face double teams. It would have changed the entire dynamic of the receiver flow.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I get it, but he's gotten over the top of the defense several times. He's a good route-runner, so well-designed plays - even without burner speed on the outside - will give him one-on-one opportunities he can win.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The fact is that Smith has been doubled all season, not Waddle. Waddle has lined up in the slot to avoid it.

You cannot double both WRs. Defenses will continue to double Smith and it still won't matter because he is uncoverable. Bolden will get Waddle's catches, but he won't break one for a 75 yard TD. Metchie will continue to get single coverage opposite Smith.

TBH, the loss of Smith would have been more damaging because it would have forced Waddle to play at WR and face double teams. It would have changed the entire dynamic of the receiver flow.
Waddle has lined up outside and even in the backfield. I have a hard time saying Smith's loss would be worse. Not a choice I'd want to make. However, this has been a great discussion. I'm sure something similar has been going on back at the AD HQ...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I get it, but he's gotten over the top of the defense several times. He's a good route-runner, so well-designed plays - even without burner speed on the outside - will give him one-on-one opportunities he can win.
TN kept both safeties back the entire game, which made some of those passes harder to complete. But Mac and Bolden ate them up underneath as a result.

The harsh reality - your offense attacks all levels of the defense on every play. You force the defense into conflicts on every play. You don't need a bunch of super stars - you just need guys who will catch passes when contested or with a defender bearing down on them. You have that in spades.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Aren't they all the same person?
I would say Hogan was more of a home run threat, and Amendola was more of a 3rd or 4th option utility receiver. I can’t remember the last time Edelman wasnt a primary target for Brady or Newton. What I am saying is that Bolden is clearly a utility receiver while Edelman’s role in the Pats offense hasn’t been that way for sometime.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Waddle has lined up outside and even in the backfield. I have a hard time saying Smith's loss would be worse. Not a choice I'd want to make. However, this has been a great discussion. I'm sure something similar has been going on back at the AD HQ...
Worse only in that it would force Waddle to play exclusively at WR. You really would no longer have the freedom to move him around the way that you have. That would make Waddle, well, less likely to make some of those explosive plays.

• Roll Tide!
Reactions: BamaInMo1

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Bolden has the chance to be productive. He is not as multi-faceted as some of the other guys we've had.

So right now you've got Smith who can do anything - catch a screen, slant, tiptoe on the sidelines/endzone, and of course beat you deep .

Metchie is mostly just a deep threat. He hasn't shown much in terms of catching it short and making guys miss.

Bolden is a guy that will make plays on out routes and find holes in the defense. He is a good athlete, but he's not Waddle.

This offense is going to take a step back.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.