Muschamp Has Been Shown the Door

Who will (permanently) replace Will Muschamp at South Carolina? (these are names I've seen in media)

• Mike Bobo (interim HC at So. Carolina)

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Shane Beamer, Asst. HC @ Oklahoma

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Joe Brady, OC @ Carolina Panthers

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Jamey Chadwell, HC @ Coastal Carolina

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Hugh Freeze, HC @ Liberty

Votes: 25 35.2%
  • Will Healy, HC @ UNC-Charlotte

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Billy Napier, HC @ LA-Lafayette

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Steve Sarkisian, OC @ Alabama

• Brandon Streeter, QB Coach @ Clemson

• Brent Venables, DC @ Clemson

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • James Franklin, HC @ Penn St.

• Jim Harbaugh, HC @ Michigan

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Tony Elliott, OC @ Clemson

• Somebody not on this list

Votes: 11 15.5%

• Total voters

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Spurrier won the division once, in 2010 with a 5-3 record. He then ran off three straight 11-2 seasons and had a 86-49 record. Good by SC standards but outside of those three seasons he is 53-43 in eight years. Kind of like Vince Dooley outside of the Herschel Walker teams.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Spurrier won the division once, in 2010 with a 5-3 record. He then ran off three straight 11-2 seasons and had a 86-49 record. Good by SC standards but outside of those three seasons he is 53-43 in eight years. Kind of like Vince Dooley outside of the Herschel Walker teams.
It's just too difficult to get enough talent to break through in the SEC. During that Spurrier run, he hit several home runs. Clowney, Jeffery at WR, and Marcus Lattimore. There were a lot of guys behind those three that were just good 3/4 star guys. But that was not sustainable.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Perhaps but I'll give them credit; culturally, they fit in. Missouri does not and never will. I'm sure driving through much of the state, you'd find many neighborhoods in Missouri that are much like Average Town, Alabama. But, the school conducts itself like its a Big Ten school, and frankly that's where they belong.

South Carolina is mediocre, at least in football, but they act like an SEC program. They sell out an 80k stadium whether they win or lose. It's an uphill climb there because Clemson is the dominant force, and the state was routinely raided by its neighbors for many decades. But at least they love their team enough to show up. I can't say that for Vandy and they are a founding member.
Again thank Nebraska for Missouri. But the SEC could do a lot worse culturally than Missouri but really hard to find fewer that have bigger markets.

Reactions: The Ols

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Again thank Nebraska for Missouri. But the SEC could do a lot worse culturally than Missouri but really hard to find fewer that have bigger markets.
True enough. It's why the Big Ten legit wanted them, yet made the stupid mistake of thinking the year was 1995 when they cozied up with Nebraska instead.

It's a great financial fit. But no, it's not like there were half a dozen other candidates out there. Plus, one of the goals for expansion, at least with an SEC, is to improve factors other than competiveness. We've got plenty of that already.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
True enough. It's why the Big Ten legit wanted them, yet made the stupid mistake of thinking the year was 1995 when they cozied up with Nebraska instead.

It's a great financial fit. But no, it's not like there were half a dozen other candidates out there. Plus, one of the goals for expansion, at least with an SEC, is to improve factors other than competiveness. We've got plenty of that already.
From what I’ve gathered, the B1G more took Nebraska because their contract was up in 2010 whereas Mizzou’s was up in 2011. The B1G’s goals were more to get a championship game than to get marketS. The SEC was the opposite.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
Wow, i guess they have found the money to get another coach, this is disturbing to me.who are they going to get who is better?
When you see first year coaches having some to decent success with no Spring practice and all the Covid problems while your guy has had his job FIVE YEARS and can't use his advantage, well, makes it easy to decide. Drinkwitz and even the Arky coach look better. At least Lane can provide an offense. Too many success stories that shouldn't be, and then you see your own program unable to capitalize.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I dont really understand the urgency to fire your coach this year when your program is already hit with massive revenue shortfalls and already likely limited Bowl season. I just dont see good coaches even up and coming coaches looking to make this transition in circumstances like these.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I dont really understand the urgency to fire your coach this year when your program is already hit with massive revenue shortfalls and already likely limited Bowl season. I just dont see good coaches even up and coming coaches looking to make this transition in circumstances like these.
I agree. It looks like a fit of petulance...

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I voted someone else. I see this HC search go something like UT search where multiple coaches turned them down before they settled for Pruitt.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
This is not a wealthy state...a lot of needs exist @ USC and yet they are willing to pay a 15 million dollar buyout? Even AU isn't that crazy...
Rolling in royalties dough from that cinematic epic “The Program” that artist in residence Robby Benson landed for them 30 years ago. Plus, the cousins over at IPTAY will funnel money to the “right” ‘Cocky coach to continue on the sub-mediocrity course Little Willie has charted for them as the Old Ball Coach’s handpicked (un)successor. Fraudchione or his successor at aTm, Sherman the Accountant, could be dark-horse contenders.

• Haha
Reactions: Padreruf

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Consensus here seems to be that Freeze re-emerges in the SEC. Bad news for UF / UGA b/c he's a terrific recruiter (with or without payments to players). Too bad so sad.

Depends on what Freeze's "new life" means to him. He could stay at somewhere like Liberty forever and not have to deal with unrealistic expectations or he could come back to SEC, make a mint, and do the best he can.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.