Muschamp Has Been Shown the Door

Who will (permanently) replace Will Muschamp at South Carolina? (these are names I've seen in media)

• Mike Bobo (interim HC at So. Carolina)

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Shane Beamer, Asst. HC @ Oklahoma

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Joe Brady, OC @ Carolina Panthers

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Jamey Chadwell, HC @ Coastal Carolina

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Hugh Freeze, HC @ Liberty

Votes: 25 35.2%
  • Will Healy, HC @ UNC-Charlotte

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Billy Napier, HC @ LA-Lafayette

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Steve Sarkisian, OC @ Alabama

• Brandon Streeter, QB Coach @ Clemson

• Brent Venables, DC @ Clemson

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • James Franklin, HC @ Penn St.

• Jim Harbaugh, HC @ Michigan

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Tony Elliott, OC @ Clemson

• Somebody not on this list

Votes: 11 15.5%

• Total voters

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
USCeast has been known as the graveyard of coaches. When SS and LH couldn't win there, it proved that beyond all doubt. Not sure why...should be a powerhouse. I will say this: USCeast fans support a constantly losing program better than any fans I know...they never let losing get in the way of a good party.

Reactions: GrayTide

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
Two of their last 4 coaches are in the college football hall of fame. I realize that Steve Spurrier might have been mailing it in for most of his tenure but Lou Holtz, I'm sure, only knows how to give 100%. USCe usually can't out recruit Clemson in their own state. As for pulling great players from Florida, Georgia and the rest of the South--not likely. From California or Texas? Fergeddiboutit. If I were them I would get an OC or DC in his early 40's with charisma, intensity, a lot of upside and a low price tag. Give him at least 4 years to build a program. Be happy if you get to eight wins.

Reactions: Padreruf

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Two of their last 4 coaches are in the college football hall of fame. I realize that Steve Spurrier might have been mailing it in for most of his tenure but Lou Holtz, I'm sure, only knows how to give 100%. USCe usually can't out recruit Clemson in their own state. As for pulling great players from Florida, Georgia and the rest of the South--not likely. From California or Texas? Fergeddiboutit. If I were them I would get an OC or DC in his early 40's with charisma, intensity, a lot of upside and a low price tag. Give him at least 4 years to build a program. Be happy if you get to eight wins.
I think that Spurrier really wanted to win there at first. He had something to prove, and he had remarkable success. But the call of the golf course eventually became too much for him.

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
It's just too difficult to get enough talent to break through in the SEC. During that Spurrier run, he hit several home runs. Clowney, Jeffery at WR, and Marcus Lattimore. There were a lot of guys behind those three that were just good 3/4 star guys. But that was not sustainable.
I agree with you. South Carolina has become Clemson's red headed stepchild and I don't see that changing anytime soon. USCe is resting on the side of a steep hill and climbing above the likes of Georgia and Florida is next to impossible. You might even add Tennessee and Kentucky ahead of them if they continue to strengthen.
It is a difficult time to shop for quality head coaches with this Covid thing messing with the country. Any coach that seriously considers signing on with USCe needs to evaluate his personal goals and decide if he wants to go after the big money for three or four years, or if he wants to go there to build on his resume. The latter will probably not happen and any prospective coach worth his salt will know this.
I believe that Hugh Freeze is the best head coach on the poll list, but I think he is too wise to tackle USCe. He will land somewhere much stronger than what the gamecocks can offer. Depending on what happens to Auburn's coach, I would not be surprised to see Freeze on the plains. Before you laugh, look at who they hired to head their basketball program.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I thought it was telling that AD Ray Tanner said at the press conference today that they planned to have a new head coach hired “before the early signing period” (Dec. 18-20). With the last regular season games scheduled for for 12/5 and now make up games being pushed to 12/12, I think the PTB decided they couldn’t wait until the end of the season if they wanted to has a chance to improve this current recruiting class. I think they are currently rated #56 in 24/7 (1 4* & 15 *). I think they hope that finding/naming someone in the next couple of weeks may help them salvage a decent class.

Just speculation but that probably means there is someone they’ve already had discussions with.

Cole Cubelic on WJOX stated that he didn’t believe Muschamp was “fired”. He had heard there was some “negotiations” happening behind the scenes. He doesn’t believe USCe will on the hook for the entire $13-15 million buyout. I guess that remains to be seen.

Reactions: B1GTide

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
I thought it was telling that AD Ray Tanner said at the press conference today that they planned to have a new head coach hired “before the early signing period” (Dec. 18-20). With the last regular season games scheduled for for 12/5 and now make up games being pushed to 12/12, I think the PTB decided they couldn’t wait until the end of the season if they wanted to has a chance to improve this current recruiting class. I think they are currently rated #56 in 24/7 (1 4* & 15 *). I think they hope that finding/naming someone in the next couple of weeks may help them salvage a decent class.

Just speculation but that probably means there is someone they’ve already had discussions with.

Cole Cubelic on WJOX stated that he didn’t believe Muschamp was “fired”. He had heard there was some “negotiations” happening behind the scenes. He doesn’t believe USCe will on the hook for the entire $13-15 million buyout. I guess that remains to be seen.
If Muschamp lets them off the hook on his contract, he's dumber than he looks.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
South Carolina will never be a football power, especially being in the SEC. As the Padre said, their fans accept that yet still sell out every home game. South Carolina is somewhat similar to Tennessee in not putting out many blue chip high school players and generally those 4-5 star recruits wind up at either Clemson or Georgia. All of this is to say that when South Carolina has a good football team they will max out at 9-3, which is acceptable to their fan base. I hope they are not foolish enough to hire Freeze, and as someone said in an earlier post, he is smart enough to wait on the Tennessee, Auburn and maybe LSU job to open. USCe would be well served to find an up and coming young coach who can recruit the state as well as getting some quality players out of NC, Georgia and Virginia. The USC Coastal Carolina coach would be an attractive hire and someone they could get without breaking the bank.

Reactions: Padreruf

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
If Muschamp lets them off the hook on his contract, he's dumber than he looks.
I would agree. My understanding in speaking with a relative that is a graduate of USC law school is that Muschamp and mega booster Joe Rice have a pretty tight relationship. Rice is supposedly the one heading up the buyout process.

Possibly Rice worked that relationship to his advantage to get it to a lower number? Maybe, but I would tend to agree I would hold USC’s feet to the fire to get everything I was contractually owed.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Freeze would eventually make some noise in the east IMO. He also could compete with Clemson on some years.
I hope Muschamp doesn’t end up in any capacity in Tuscaloosa. We don’t need him.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I worry about Muschamp's health. Despite the outbursts, he still looks like he's holding it in much of the time. That much rage building up without an outlet is not healthy.

Freeze would do well there, better than Muschamp, but he isn't going to turn them into a power. But a thorn in Georgia's side? Definitely.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.