COVID-19 Vaccine Issues and New Poll

If a Vaccine is Safe and Effective Will You take it?

• Yes

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • No

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Unsure

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Only if my healthcare provider recommends it

Votes: 3 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
With Pfizer applying 2 days ago for an EAU for their vaccine I thought we needed a vaccine thread.

This is where we discuss COVID vaccines, distribution, priority populations, safety and efficacy issues, and so forth.

If Pfizer's vaccine is approved it could hit the streets as soon as December 11 since the advisory board is scheduled to meet on the 10th.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/pfizer-apply-emergency-use-its-covid-19-vaccine-n1248319

https://www.fda.gov/emergency-prepa...virus-disease-2019-covid-19/covid-19-vaccines

There are several good vaccine candidates and which one you get may depend on timing, your priority status, and luck.

I'm surprised (I shouldn't be, I know) that ultra cold freezers have not already rolled out to pharmacies and/or provider offices across the country - that should have already happened.

Public acceptance for these vaccines is increasing. Hopefully, as data show the vaccines to potentially be safe and effective more people will come around nd be willing to take it.

Fortunately this process has been fairly well insulated from political nonsense.

I decided at the end here to post a poll. If you choose "No" or "Unsure" please post your reasoning in the comments (you don't have to but I would like to have an idea on why people might be hesitant). Answers are private and you can go back and change it if you change your mind.

My opinion here but the vaccine should be mandatory (unless contraindicated medically), beginning with school age children once enough doses are available.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
With Pfizer applying 2 days ago for an EAU for their vaccine I thought we needed a vaccine thread.

This is where we discuss COVID vaccines, distribution, priority populations, safety and efficacy issues, and so forth.

If Pfizer's vaccine is approved it could hit the streets as soon as December 11 since the advisory board is scheduled to meet on the 10th.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/pfizer-apply-emergency-use-its-covid-19-vaccine-n1248319

https://www.fda.gov/emergency-prepa...virus-disease-2019-covid-19/covid-19-vaccines

There are several good vaccine candidates and which one you get may depend on timing, your priority status, and luck.

I'm surprised (I shouldn't be, I know) that ultra cold freezers have not already rolled out to pharmacies and/or provider offices across the country - that should have already happened.

Public acceptance for these vaccines is increasing. Hopefully, as data show the vaccines to potentially be safe and effective more people will come around nd be willing to take it.

Fortunately this process has been fairly well insulated from political nonsense.

I decided at the end here to post a poll. If you choose "No" or "Unsure" please post your reasoning in the comments (you don't have to but I would like to have an idea on why people might be hesitant). Answers are private and you can go back and change it if you change your mind.

My opinion here but the vaccine should be mandatory (unless contraindicated medically), beginning with school age children once enough doses are available.
It seems like wherever I read, older individuals with comorbidities are in the first tier, along with frontline workers. However, from what I've been told, that's not at all the way it will be administered here, with the Pfizer going first to ICU and covid ward workers. If it has to be administered only at the largest hospital here, I don't see how it can possibly be administered to the senior population, except possibly to nursing home inmates...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It seems like wherever I read, older individuals with comorbidities are in the first tier, along with frontline workers. However, from what I've been told, that's not at all the way it will be administered here, with the Pfizer going first to ICU and covid ward workers. If it has to be administered only at the largest hospital here, I don't see how it can possibly be administered to the senior population, except possibly to nursing home inmates...
NJ won't get to anyone outside of the medical community or long term care facilities for a long time because of the enormous numbers of people in those two groups here.

Reactions: NationalTitles18

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Here's the proposed priority order:

1606083582569.png

IIRC, the Pfizer vaccine can be kept for up to a few weeks at -40 (don't quote me on that, though). That could help.

If planning had gone as it should we wouldn't be talking about this logistical problem like this now.

• Thank You
Reactions: seebell and UAH

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
A few months ago, I started a thread proposing an order of vaccination, based on what I perceived as the right thing — healthcare workers, first responders and active duty military first, then in descending order of riskiest groups (riskiest first).

There were some niggles on whether Condition A trumped Condition B, and how you prioritize multiple factors. As in, who goes first when Condition A is less risky than Condition B, but a 60-year-old has Condition A, and a 30-year-old has Condition B.

But there was general consensus on the board that the concept was the right one.

Mrs. Basket Case is 63, and has high blood pressure, managed well through medication. I‘m 61, and have no co-morbidities (not yet, anyway). We will both take the vaccine the instant we can get it....which, given our slightly different risk profiles might not be at the same time.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Here's the proposed priority order:

View attachment 12505

IIRC, the Pfizer vaccine can be kept for up to a few weeks at -40 (don't quote me on that, though). That could help.

If planning had gone as it should we wouldn't be talking about this logistical problem like this now.
Is that temperature Fahrenheit or Celsius?

My wife drives a school bus and I am in the grocery business, so that puts us in Phase 2.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
NJ won't get to anyone outside of the medical community or long term care facilities for a long time because of the enormous numbers of people in those two groups here.
I think that's not just NJ. That's universal and the grounds for my saying earlier that I expect to receive the Moderna, or even a later vaccine...

Reactions: B1GTide

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
A few months ago, I started a thread proposing an order of vaccination, based on what I perceived as the right thing — healthcare workers, first responders and active duty military first, then in descending order of riskiest groups (riskiest first).

There were some niggles on whether Condition A trumped Condition B, and how you prioritize multiple factors. As in, who goes first when Condition A is less risky than Condition B, but a 60-year-old has Condition A, and a 30-year-old has Condition B.

But there was general consensus on the board that the concept was the right one.

Mrs. Basket Case is 63, and has high blood pressure, managed well through medication. I‘m 61, and have no co-morbidities (not yet, anyway). We will both take the vaccine the instant we can get it....which, given our slightly different risk profiles might not be at the same time.
I'll probably also get it before my wife. I'm 3.5 years older, have managed HBP (that may not matter), heart bypass, CKD and compressed lungs. On top of that, I'm type A and she's type O...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Question for NT17, or anyone else who might know....

Why does the Pfizer vaccine need such incredibly low temps, whereas Moderna’s can handle temps in line with much more widely-available freezers?

I understand the need for cooling, but holy smokes, 0 degrees F vs. -100 F is a long way when we’re already talking pretty dang cold.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Question for NT17, or anyone else who might know....

Why does the Pfizer vaccine need such incredibly low temps, whereas Moderna’s can handle temps in line with much more widely-available freezers?

I understand the need for cooling, but holy smokes, 0 degrees F vs. -100 F is a long way when we’re already talking pretty dang cold.

• Thank You
Reactions: Go Bama
Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.