Is Dylan Moses playing hurt?

bamafaninbham

All-SEC
Jul 19, 2004
Homewood
I have not been able to watch many games this year due to work and travel. But I did catch the replay of the UK game Sunday night and it looked like Moses was not moving well. I wasn't sure if he was injured or just unsure where to go on a lot of plays. I also heard on talk radio that he didn't even record a tackle for the entire game which seems unbelievable to me for a middle LB.

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
I have not been able to watch many games this year due to work and travel. But I did catch the replay of the UK game Sunday night and it looked like Moses was not moving well. I wasn't sure if he was injured or just unsure where to go on a lot of plays. I also heard on talk radio that he didn't even record a tackle for the entire game which seems unbelievable to me for a middle LB.
Not a single tackle, not even an assist. Yes, that is a head scratcher.

bamafaninbham

All-SEC
Jul 19, 2004
Homewood
not a head scratcher. Go back to KY game... you'll see that Moses had different assignments... half of the time he went man to man with a RB, or was QB spying. Also, DL and Harris did most of the work while Moses was spying.
That does make sense. It seemed he was very hesitant on most plays. But if his responsibility was the QB on a designed run or a scramble that would make sense.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
not a head scratcher. Go back to KY game... you'll see that Moses had different assignments... half of the time he went man to man with a RB, or was QB spying. Also, DL and Harris did most of the work while Moses was spying.
I suspect he will play the same exact role in the Auburn game. In fact, Alabama's defense against UK in the first half is exactly how you play Auburn.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Even if he was a QB spy against KY, there were plenty of times when he was in pursuit of a runner and he looked to be running half speed. I've seen him do it too many times this year. It's a head-scratcher.

During the KY game the commentators talked about how his responsibilities as a defensive playcaller has made him think too much and not react as quickly, but there are many times he's just loafing. I've watched him several times this year and he just seems to get lost after the snap.

I don't know much about the draft, but I wonder if this is really hurting his draft status.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I suspect he will play the same exact role in the Auburn game. In fact, Alabama's defense against UK in the first half is exactly how you play Auburn.
Care to expand? If KY could have scored in the redzone the first half would have probably ended with us tied or only leading by 3-7 points.

They moved the ball up and down the field on us, but imploded near the goal line. If we play Auburn like this and they move the ball like this, they'll score because they have better skill players.

FWIW, I thought the defense regressed and looked more like they did in the first couple of games.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'll say this, and this is just my opinion.... We've had LBs coming back from significant injuries' and they struggled next time they were on the field? Lewis, Hightower, and others.

See quote from Hightower. Moses is going through same thing right now, but because of lack of spring and summer practices, it's taking him a while and we as a fan need to understand that he's dealing with this on the fly. Had he got a chance to participate in spring practice, Moses would be lot better than he is.

They told me the last couple games I actually looked like I was the old me before I got hurt."

Hightower said his footwork was slow to start the first four games. He dismissed the notion of any mental obstacles, but admits he felt slow.
Add the burden of calling defensive plays, and his plate was full.

Hightower needed to let loose in the open field, and chasing down speedy Gators in a 31-6 win over Florida on Oct. 2 provided the opportunity.
I've been defending Dylan Moses because I understand what he is going through mentally and physically and It's not really fair for fans to go after him just because he's not playing 100 percent well. I'm not talking about this board, but rather other places. He is going to be fine and I think he will have an outstanding game before the season is over. I think it'll be against Florida.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Care to expand? If KY could have scored in the redzone the first half would have probably ended with us tied or only leading by 3-7 points.

They moved the ball up and down the field on us, but imploded near the goal line. If we play Auburn like this and they move the ball like this, they'll score because they have better skill players.

FWIW, I thought the defense regressed and looked more like they did in the first couple of games.
UK actually has a very, very good running game. Their QB (Wilson) is as good a passer as Nix, and is as good a runner (maybe better). But Auburn has better receivers - much better receivers.

My point was that Alabama was confused by the eye candy early on and they fixed that. It took 20 minutes of game play, but they fixed it. Now the question will be - do you step into the Auburn game playing as relaxed as you were after you adjusted, or do you have to go through that all over again - adjusting?

JMO, but I don't think it matters. Alabama is scoring ~50 in that game, and Auburn will be lucky to score 17.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'll say this, and this is just my opinion.... We've had LBs coming back from significant injuries' and they struggled next time they were on the field? Lewis, Hightower, and others.

See quote from Hightower. Moses is going through same thing right now, but because of lack of spring and summer practices, it's taking him a while and we as a fan need to understand that he's dealing with this on the fly. Had he got a chance to participate in spring practice, Moses would be lot better than he is.

I've been defending Dylan Moses because I understand what he is going through mentally and physically and It's not really fair for fans to go after him just because he's not playing 100 percent well. I'm not talking about this board, but rather other places. He is going to be fine and I think he will have an outstanding game before the season is over. I think it'll be against Florida.
I hope this is the problem. It really doesn't make any sense, otherwise, for him to be reacting so slowly.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I'm gonna let BIG respond to this one, but I think you're in the minority regarding the defense.

Saban said this on Defense:
Saban said Kentucky hit early-game runs on mis-fit gaps by Alabama’s defense as well as mental errors on motions and shifts. Players got more used to the motions and shifts as the game progressed, and coaches made corrections. “It really is a lot of the stuff we worked on [in practice], it was just a matter of being a little bit apprehensive to do what they knew was right in the game,” he said.
If defense regressed, then how do you explain the Alabama is #1 in Scoring defense, #4 Rushing Defense #3 in Passing defense and #3 Total Defense in SEC?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
UK actually has a very, very good running game. Their QB (Wilson) is as good a passer as Nix, and is as good a runner (maybe better). But Auburn has better receivers - much better receivers.

My point was that Alabama was confused by the eye candy early on and they fixed that. It took 20 minutes of game play, but they fixed it. Now the question will be - do you step into the Auburn game playing as relaxed as you were after you adjusted, or do you have to go through that all over again - adjusting?

JMO, but I don't think it matters. Alabama is scoring ~50 in that game, and Auburn will be lucky to score 17.
Yeah, but Auburn will double down on the eye candy. That's what Gus is known for. He tried to beat you with tricks.

I think we'll easily outscore them in this game, but if our defense plays like it did last week in the first half, we'll give up a couple of TDs to them on broken plays.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I think I read somewhere that Peter Golding was taking "Wait and see" approach to see what Kentucky was gonna do before making adjustments. They wanted to see if Kentucky was gonna do what they thought they would do.

Reactions: B1GTide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah, but Auburn will double down on the eye candy. That's what Gus is known for. He tried to beat you with tricks.

I think we'll easily outscore them in this game, but if our defense plays like it did last week in the first half, we'll give up a couple of TDs to them on broken plays.
I think that Auburn is going to do Auburn. Expect some "magic". But your defense is a lot better than it was early in the season - like a totally different set of players. And they are going to be out for blood in this game.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm gonna let BIG respond to this one, but I think you're in the minority regarding the defense.

Saban said this on Defense:

If defense regressed, then how do you explain the Alabama is #1 in Scoring defense, #4 Rushing Defense #3 in Passing defense and #3 Total Defense in SEC?
I meant they regressed to looking lost at times....what we saw early in the year. I'm hoping it was just rustiness from being off 3 weeks.

If not, Auburn will take advantage of those breakdowns if they continue to happen.

BTW, I would have never guessed our "stats" are that good. It illustrates how the conference has changed in regards to offensive and defensive stats.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think I read somewhere that Peter Golding was taking "Wait and see" approach to see what Kentucky was gonna do before making adjustments. They wanted to see if Kentucky was gonna do what they thought they would do.
And while that created some anxiety for fans, it will help these kids a lot going into the Auburn game. Really, you could not have asked for a better opponent to get you ready for that game.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Players won't forget what happened last year, especially Mac Jones. This sets up well for players to shine in that game. I expect Mac to have a big day as well Najee Harris AND THE RB committee. They will be ruthless.

Has Gus ever used TE this year in the offense?

Reactions: Con and B1GTide

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
And while that created some anxiety for fans, it will help these kids a lot going into the Auburn game. Really, you could not have asked for a better opponent to get you ready for that game.
I agree. two weeks off.. Kentucky was perfect game. clean up mistakes... find momentum and head into Auburn game. Had we played LSU and then Kentucky, we would've been little tired.

Reactions: Con and B1GTide

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I meant they regressed to looking lost at times....what we saw early in the year. I'm hoping it was just rustiness from being off 3 weeks.

If not, Auburn will take advantage of those breakdowns if they continue to happen.

BTW, I would have never guessed our "stats" are that good. It illustrates how the conference has changed in regards to offensive and defensive stats.
I think it was the layoff for 2 weeks.... I thought they would be more fresh, but they were off... but quickly found their momentum.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.