Woman to suit up for Vandy

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I get it....But I'm not on board with it. If we're being totally honest, it takes a player off of the field. What if there's a blocked kick and she has to try to tackle a 250 lb reserve linebacker that picked it up for a return...
Would any of us have wanted her as the last resort on the kick 6? I know, they scored anyway, I get that, I was making a point. She could get hurt, badly. Chances of that are incredibly slim...but is it probable and foreseeable that if you ask her to make any football play other than a kick that she gets hurt?
I'm really not trying to chauvinistic...jmo...

***She can kick for Auburn..I'm tiring of the never ending stream of Carlsons...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I get it....But I'm not on board with it. If we're being totally honest, it takes a player off of the field. What if there's a blocked kick and she has to try to tackle a 250 lb reserve linebacker that picked it up for a return...
Would any of us have wanted her as the last resort on the kick 6? I know, they scored anyway, I get that, I was making a point. She could get hurt, badly. Chances of that are incredibly slim...but is it probable and foreseeable that if you ask her to make any football play other than a kick that she gets hurt?
I'm really not trying to chauvinistic...jmo...

***She can kick for Auburn..I'm tiring of the never ending stream of Carlsons...
No, you've pretty well summarized my thoughts.

This IS a publicity stunt.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
She can probably throw better than Garo Yepremium.

I agree it is a publicity stunt as I am sure he could find another male kicker if he needed one. Or let the punter kickoff. Vandy doesn’t kickoff much anyway.

But she knows the risks and if she gets hurt she gets hurt. I suspect they will have her kick an extra point if they happen to score a touchdown.

Reactions: Con

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I'm know I'm showing my age, but I'm just not ready for this. Maybe she's as tough as Rhonda Rousey and deserves a shot, but she's still a woman. Which part of her can you hit? I was raised that you never hit a woman.

As my grandmother would have said, "I'm agin it."

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
She is doing this because the team had a need due to Covid and she has the skill that they need. She is not keeping any able bodied male who was already involved with the football program off of the field.

If this was a male, everyone would celebrate his opportunity and wish him the best. Because it is a female they look for reasons not to support her or wish her the best.

Even if this is a publicity stunt to some degree, you can see why it is needed. We have to do better.

JayBama_in_PCOLA

All-American
Oct 2, 2020
Andalusia (living in Pace/Pensacola, Fl)
She is doing this because the team had a need due to Covid and she has the skill that they need. She is not keeping any able bodied male who was already involved with the football program off of the field.

If this was a male, everyone would celebrate his opportunity and wish him the best. Because it is a female they look for reasons not to support her or wish her the best.

Even if this is a publicity stunt to some degree, you can see why it is needed. We have to do better.
Actually, nobody would care.

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005
No, you've pretty well summarized my thoughts.

This IS a publicity stunt.
Probably is. That said, if she’s capable enough, let her have her moment. And, its not a need as some have stated, its a want. I wish her well...hope she nails it.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If she can handle the job, more power to her!
Look, while I view it as a publicity stunt (and it is - are you seriously telling me she's the most qualified kicker on campus?), I'm not "against it" per se. But it's just like my reasoning why Shula over Croom - because when something goes wrong, the sociological argument is the first place the complainer goes.

Picture this: she tries a field goal, and it gets blocked back towards her and she gets buried by a 275 pound onrushing linebacker as the opponent races towards the other goal line. There will be endless columns and nonsense about how, "If she was a man, he wouldn't have hit her like that." Now - SHE HERSELF won't say any of this, I'll guarantee you she knows what goes with the territory. But the Christine "Every Man's A Rapist" Brennan/Nancy Amanpour (whatever her name is) crowd and a number of non-football fans who tuned into the game will be calling for the removal from college and castration of anyone who while doing his job who does this (and God help that guy if when he was 16 he got arrested for getting a little rough with his girlfriend but has led an exemplary life since then).

I have no problem with it.
I have a problem with where it has the potential to go in terms of actual inequality.
But I bear no animus towards her any more than towards any other Vandy player.

I even laugh at the guy challenging Alabama years ago and talking about "our house."

Reactions: Cruloc and The Ols

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Look, while I view it as a publicity stunt (and it is - are you seriously telling me she's the most qualified kicker on campus?), I'm not "against it" per se. But it's just like my reasoning why Shula over Croom - because when something goes wrong, the sociological argument is the first place the complainer goes.

Picture this: she tries a field goal, and it gets blocked back towards her and she gets buried by a 275 pound onrushing linebacker as the opponent races towards the other goal line. There will be endless columns and nonsense about how, "If she was a man, he wouldn't have hit her like that." Now - SHE HERSELF won't say any of this, I'll guarantee you she knows what goes with the territory. But the Christine "Every Man's A Rapist" Brennan/Nancy Amanpour (whatever her name is) crowd and a number of non-football fans who tuned into the game will be calling for the removal from college and castration of anyone who while doing his job who does this (and God help that guy if when he was 16 he got arrested for getting a little rough with his girlfriend but has led an exemplary life since then).

I have no problem with it.
I have a problem with where it has the potential to go in terms of actual inequality.
But I bear no animus towards her any more than towards any other Vandy player.

I even laugh at the guy challenging Alabama years ago and talking about "our house."
This argument is absurd.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
From the videos I have watched she only has the leg strength to kick extra points at best.
Funny story here.

On Opening Day weekend in 2016, I went to the CFB Hall of Fame in Atlanta. They've got this field set up where you can try field goals from 10/20/30 yards. I opted to try from 20. Several of my attempts - pardon the masculine phrase - I couldn't get it up (ha ha), couldn't lift the ball over the crossbar. Keep in mind I was 46.

I finally succeeded - and felt like I pulled every single muscle in my lower right stomach and thigh.

If she can kick PATs, she can kick better than I can.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.