The play where the LSU receiver dropped the ball before entering the end zone...

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
That's the big question. Did the officials signal touchdown. From what I have read, they did not. They saw what happened and waited. I think our guys must have thought it was a TD and did not go for the ball. You can see a couple of them flash by on the pylon cam. They were trailing the play so probably didn't realize he dropped it early. Nice teaching tool for Coach Saban.

Reactions: Padreruf

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
TBF, I've been wondering about the same. I don't think they are. Many times, the ball is blown dead and there's quite a lag before the officials confer and signal TD. How long does a ball have to sit before it automatically becomes "dead" to play?
I don't think it is a set period of time - more like a judgement call by the officials as to when both teams have essentially given up on the play.

Reactions: UAllday and CraigD

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I thought the you could not fumble into your own endzone. Am I wrong?
You can fumble anywhere in the field of play and the ball is free to bounce whichever way it wishes.

In this case, the ball was fumbled into our end-zone, not theirs.

If you fumble the ball into the opposing end-zone and it bounces out of bounds, it is a touchback - just as if it doesn't bounce out of bounds and an opponent recovers it in the end-zone.

Reactions: seebell and dtgreg

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
You can fumble anywhere in the field of play and the ball is free to bounce whichever way it wishes.

In this case, the ball was fumbled into our end-zone, not theirs.

If you fumble the ball into the opposing end-zone and it bounces out of bounds, it is a touchback - just as if it doesn't bounce out of bounds and an opponent recovers it in the end-zone.
Dave Casper rule? Can’t fumble forward?
Only the person that fumbles forward into the ez can recover it for a TD?

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Apparently they ruled that as an immediate recovery- unlike the Bo Nix backwards spike that was recovered by Arkansas much faster but was not an immediate recovery. Plain and simple - SEC replay officials will bend the narrative to cover themselves.
Never a truer statement. And that is what frustrates fans to the nth degree. If you screw up, just say so, take the heat and move on. While many fans may not like it, at least they may respect you for your honesty. When you play CYA, few are happy and you lose the respect of most.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I think the NCAA rule about fumbling forward is along this line: On a 4th down play, if the offense fumbles the ball forward, only the person that fumbled can recover and the offense still maintain possession. I'll go ahead and state that I could be mistaken, it happens from time to time.

Reactions: Tenntiderman

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I have no problem with your citation of the facts, but here's one thing that will tell us if they REALLY blew the play or not: did the officials signal touchdown when he crossed?

If they DID signal touchdown, they blew the call, plain and simple. Because that alone would be reason for the Alabama receiver to not pick up the ball and run the other way - he could be called for delay of game potentially.

Whether it was a blown call or not depends entirely on the underlined question above.
If the line judge said td right away then the review should’ve reversed it as a Touchback because it didn’t allow for an immediate recovery. Unless the whistle came after the recovery then it was the wrong call.

either way I don’t think we will be hanging around a live ball ever again.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
If the line judge said td right away then the review should’ve reversed it as a Touchback because it didn’t allow for an immediate recovery.
I think a change of possession in that situation only occurs if there is an immediate recovery by the defense, which there wasn’t.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think a change of possession in that situation only occurs if there is an immediate recovery by the defense, which there wasn’t.
I seem to remember this same thing happening a few times, and I can’t remember if the ball is placed at the spot of the fumble or the spot it’s dead (which was in the end zone in this case). Either way it wouldn’t be a touchdown.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I seem to remember this same thing happening a few times, and I can’t remember if the ball is placed at the spot of the fumble or the spot it’s dead (which was in the end zone in this case). Either way it wouldn’t be a touchdown.
Agreed it wouldn’t be a touchdown if there’s no immediate recovery. I believe the ball goes back to the spot it was fumbled.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Agreed it wouldn’t be a touchdown if there’s no immediate recovery. I believe the ball goes back to the spot it was fumbled.
Im more mad at our defense for not pouncing on it and Gary trying to defend it than it resulting in an LSU TD. I will never get why people keep doing this celebration after it as resulted in so much egg in people’s faces.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
If you watch the full pylon cam version, the official in the frame doesn't signal touchdown until the ball is recovered.

It could be a coincidence, sure, but it could also be that the officials on the field did everything correctly and the announcers are the ones who didn't know what had happened.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.