Should Mac Jones stay?

tideindc

2nd Team
Jan 2, 2015
He has his MS degree, I believe , and cannot possibly improve his draft stock. Next year will be an unproven line ,receiving corps, and running backs.. And he’s playing for a natty. I’ve also seen several mocks with a first rd prediction for Mac. Just as important..he’s healthy! That’s not a given in football.. Can’t imagine why he’d stay.
(Btw...I expect the youngsters to be very good next yr....but just saying they are by and large unproven ).

Reactions: Bama-94-00

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
If Mac leads the Tide to a National Championship on Monday, about the only thing he could do in another season is win a Heisman or get a career ending injury. I think he should take his chances with the next level.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
We keep falling into the trap of thinking that a player’s draft stock depends on how they do during games in the season. We all *think* we know. I find myself thinking that way every year as well. Then I am amazed every year during the draft when Bama players (and others, too) that played great fall much later than we all anticipated. We always think of ourselves, “Didn't they watch the games during the season? This guy can really play.” There will also be players we’ve never heard of or who didn’t play prominent roles for prominent teams during the season to get drafted very high.

in reality the season is just a starting point for a player’s draft draft position. Much more will be made (by NFL teams) of their interviews and draft workouts/combines than the season that they just finished.

Still, at this point all we have to go on is the season, so I get the discussion. I’m simply reminding myself and all of you that we will oftentimes be surprised at a player’s actual draft position compared to their season performance.

Maybe a better question for us to ask ourselves is, “How will he do in the workouts and combines?”

...and I’m not saying this isn’t a valid discussion either. It is, and I think he is likely gone after this year and I think that’s probably the move he should make.

Last edited:

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
After looking over all the supposed “mock drafts” I can’t believe Mac is rated below some of these other QB’s. I know we’re all biased but you can’t tell me the North Dakota St and BYU QB’s are that much better. IMHO Mac is better than those two hands down. He’s played against far superior competition and the ND St kid has t played in over a year. I think all the draft predictions are completely blowing it with Mac Jones.
Well...someone labeled Mac as a 'game manager'. That seems to be a bad thing for a QB now. In terms of competitive rating anyway.

Rolltidegirl205

All-SEC
Sep 20, 2014
I don't know if this is still on topic or not, but the lack of respect for Mac Jones, from a lot of "experts" is interesting. Even Tebow spoke about it. He's had an historical season or season for the ages according to many experts, but it's not reflecting their mock draft ranks of him. Isn't Mac's number's similar to Joe Burrow, who was a first round pick? I think his QBR rating is higher than Murray and Burrow(all great, great QB's) too. Maybe I'm missing something?

:unsure:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't know if this is still on topic or not, but the lack of respect for Mac Jones, from a lot of "experts" is interesting. Even Tebow spoke about it. He's had an historical season or season for the ages according to many experts, but it's not reflecting their mock draft ranks of him. Isn't Mac's number's similar to Joe Burrow, who was a first round pick? I think his QBR rating is higher than Murray and Burrow(all great, great QB's) too. Maybe I'm missing something?

:unsure:
It is real, and it extends to NFL draft analysts. One year starters surrounded by Alabama's talent are going to get this criticism. Tua was so electric that his talent jumped off of the TV screen. Mac just quietly does the job. But if he plays as well tonight against OSU, a lot of that will change.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It is real, and it extends to NFL draft analysts. One year starters surrounded by Alabama's talent are going to get this criticism. Tua was so electric that his talent jumped off of the TV screen. Mac just quietly does the job. But if he plays as well tonight against OSU, a lot of that will change.
I agree with this point. One thing I always wonder about with people like Tua and Mickelson, both of whom are right-handers converted by their fathers to play left-handed, is whether or not they might have been even better playing with their natural dominant hand...

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Listening to Andy Staples podcast - he had a guy from Athletic doing a Draft Analysis -- and basically suggested that maybe Mac wait a year -- because this year he's the 5th or 6th QB (along with Trask) -- next year -- he'd be QB1 -- no real competition next year.....other than Sam Howell

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Listening to Andy Staples podcast - he had a guy from Athletic doing a Draft Analysis -- and basically suggested that maybe Mac wait a year -- because this year he's the 5th or 6th QB (along with Trask) -- next year -- he'd be QB1 -- no real competition next year.....other than Sam Howell
That is a good point...

jjv0004

1st Team
Dec 13, 2017
Greenville, SC
Spencer Rattler, Howell, Daniels, Slovis from USC. Not a given Jones would be the 1st or 2nd best QB next year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.