Poll: Should The Inauguration Be Canceled?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It is not required in the Constitution. The swearing in may take place anywhere (and has). Right now, it is serving as a target for every armed nut in the country and is probably going to lead to bloodshed, perhaps even the president being assassinated. It's tradition but it's been forgone before. Thoughts?

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I wouldn't have had any issue calling it off on January 7. Now, everything is in place including enough military to keep DC safe. If it's called off and the military stands down, these MAGA nuts may head to Washington because the coast is clear. Also, the Trumpers would use the "secret swear in" as a further sign of Biden's weakness.

At this point I say full speed ahead.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I won't watch - it is pomp, and I am not really interested. So, yeah, IMO they can all be cancelled. 🤷‍♂️

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I wouldn't have had any issue calling it off on January 7. Now, everything is in place including enough military to keep DC safe. If it's called off and the military stands down, these MAGA nuts may head to Washington because the coast is clear. Also, the Trumpers would use the "secret swear in" as a further sign of Biden's weakness.

At this point I say full speed ahead.
Even my granddaughter's husband has been stationed to DC. He's in the Coast Guard out of Norfolk...

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
No. There is enough police/military presence in DC now that those who caused the Capitol riots/insurrection will be cowering in place and not try any similar actions. Hopefully the worst that will happen is some street fighting between different groups.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
As a history buff I enjoy seeing the swearing in ceremony. It doesn’t matter if I like the president or not.
I get it, but it isn't history. The election was history. His actions will become history. The ceremony is just that - a ceremony.

I will probably read or watch a video of his comments to be aware, but the ceremony is meaningless to me.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
The inaugural address can be historic...depending on what is said, how it is said, and what events/actions follow. It can also be quickly forgotten.
Agree. A lot of things can happen Wednesday though, good and bad.

Biden getting sworn in will be for me like the first step on the moon. I can't remember an event since when I waited so long and anxiously.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
A swearing in is historic. It represents a transition of power on which our democracy is based.

Don't confuse the swearing in with the inauguration, which is not historic. One is constitutionally required and can happen, if need be, in a jetliner in Dallas. The rest of the pomp and circumstance grew up over time, if truth be known, in strict imitation of European coronations. The people like their circuses...

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Ya'll Queda has had a series of public setbacks to their perceived version of a return to whiter/godlier America. Calling off the inauguration would be perceived as their tactics are working and should be continued. Holding the inauguration is symbolic. Just as symbolic as the return to work after the storming of the capitol.

There needs to be closure. Joe Biden (edit: at the inauguration) giving the oath of office is probably one of the few things that can put the metaphorical lid on their conspiracy theories. Furthermore, I would not be surprised if not having the inauguration would be conspiracy nut fuel proving that the southern White House headed by Cheeto jesus is the only legitimate source of power. Facts haven't mattered up to this point, why should they matter post Jan 20?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.