Will the Team be Invited by President Biden to the White House?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Down4ttown

Suspended
Dec 16, 2011
Actually, it’s remembering the values of decency and courtesy for a trip, kind of like when I used to visit older unknown relatives
I get that, but the key word is relative in that statement. They are the foundation of the family or a part of it. Not the same in my family’s eyes, but to each his own.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This is veering wildly into nonsports.
Yes and it was inevitable once someone said something about it being a tradition that should end. Because eventually someone will have to talk about the current climate and where the lines of politics and sports should be. But right now it’s very mild.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Guys, that kind of access to the White House is pretty danged cool. Forget the politics - the history in that building is amazing. Heck, the history in that entire part of the city is worth a month of your time.

If these players can go in a safe way, they should. They may never get another chance.
This is how I look at it as well.

Forget the politics.....this is a significantly historic location in the country and attending a congratulatory function with teammates to honor a national championship would be a very unique and special event for these young people.

I think it will happen at some point. I'm sure our president will ensure that is does.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I spent my yoot growing up in Norfolk - until middle of 10th grade. Lot of school field trips due to the plethora of historic sites in that part of the country.

One I remember was to the capital. Very cool and something I'll always remember. Even if I was a little kid at the time! ;)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I haven't read most of the replies but I hope the tradition continues if it can be done later in the year in a safe fashion.

As for me, I like seeing our President do "normal things" like talk about sports and welcoming championship teams to the Whitehouse.

And, concerning the players, I'd always welcome the opportunity to go to Washington DC and see a sitting President...politics aside...that is a cool experience. Not to mention that DC is a cool place to visit! So much history!

Reactions: Con and B1GTide

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Is anyone in this photo still alive? I know at least 6 are NOT. Identify those from left to right: Coach Bryant, ???, Pat Trammell, Dr. Rose, JFK, Mel Allen, ???, Benny Marshall, Hugh Culverhouse (I think).

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Guys, that kind of access to the White House is pretty danged cool. Forget the politics - the history in that building is amazing. Heck, the history in that entire part of the city is worth a month of your time.

If these players can go in a safe way, they should. They may never get another chance.
I'm sorry, but I want live out my middle age resentment of things I was taught in my youth without you bringing up inconvenient things.

• Haha
Reactions: B1GTide

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
This is how I look at it as well.

Forget the politics.....this is a significantly historic location in the country and attending a congratulatory function with teammates to honor a national championship would be a very unique and special event for these young people.

I think it will happen at some point. I'm sure our president will ensure that is does.
I think if I had visited the WH when I was a kid I would have been blown away also, but I think I missed my window. Every President and the vast majority of all politicians in my adult life have been clowns. The history of the WH and DC is great, but that’s what it is - distant history. The thought of the place turns me off, and it’s sad that our “leaders” have made me feel that way.

That said, if the team wants/votes to go, they should get to go when it can be safely.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
This comment is NOT intended to ruffle any feathers but the Athletes around the country became far more involved politically than any time in my recent memory. This was true both at the collegiate and professional level and it was aimed at influencing change they felt passionate about. They wanted Trump gone for many of the comments and lack of action on what they see as a chronic and systemic problem. Believe me it is not a thing that will be solved overnight or with one night’s results in November 2020. It was a start in many of their eyes and they could see tangible evidence that they had a voice and they did make a real difference. Some will see it as good and some will see it differently and some could not care less one way or the other. But for those who did get involved going to the WH this year might have much more meaning than a photo op. Just a thought.

• Thank You
Reactions: Con and B1GTide

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
I do not like Biden. I won't go into the politics of it, but he is the president and that office needs to be respected.

I will say this though. If given the opportunity to meet the President of the United States, regardless of your politics, you go. it's straight up Patriotism to respect the Office of the Presidency regardless of the person currently holding the position.

I was absolutely proud of our team that met with President Trump, I know the majority of them didn't agree with him politically for whatever reason, but each and every one of them was respectful and honorable and represented the University well. That's the kind of person and player Saban is turning these guys into and I'm thankful for it.

I hope the same goes for this team as well, and I have no doubt it will. This team was an incredible group of guys that represented Alabama Class in the best ways possible on a consistent basis.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I do not like Biden. I won't go into the politics of it, but he is the president and that office needs to be respected.

I will say this though. If given the opportunity to meet the President of the United States, regardless of your politics, you go. it's straight up Patriotism to respect the Office of the Presidency regardless of the person currently holding the position.
Respectfully, Nate - I was taught this, and I once believed it.

But I don't anymore.
Folks are fond of saying, "When the President requests, you do it."

I don't. Not anymore - not after what I've seen them do.

But I also would never criticize anyone who did or feels that way, either.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I think you either go no matter who is president or you don't go no matter who is president. The idea that one side is doing evil things while the other isn't is laughable. If you think visiting the White House is an endorsement of the occupants politics then you should never go to the White House because every single president does horribly immoral things that no honest person should endorse. Or, you know, you could ignore that and view it as a cool trip you don't have to pay for. Either is fine to me, but "I'm not going because the current president is a bad guy" is just dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.