Game Thread: NFL conference championship round (Tampa Bay vs Kansas City for SUPER BOWL LV)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Oh well. I didn't get to watch much yesterday. I was hoping for a Green Bay/Kansas City Super Bowl I rematch, but it wasn't to be.

I think Tampa wins this thing now. They are on a roll, with the greatest QB in the history of the game. It's true that Tom Brady can lose a Super Bowl, but only if he's playing against an NFC East opponent.

As for what makes a QB "great," so much of it is luck. Marino, Rodgers, Favre, Brees, and others are/were great talents. Hall of Fame talents. But so much of what produces championship franchises does not rest in the QB's power to change. However, Brady is proving an exception to that rule.

I wonder if Belichick will watch the Super Bowl?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Aikman, like Bradshaw, gets too much credit for playing on the best teams of their generations. Those teams would have won multiple super bowls with almost any QB of their eras.
This is my assessment, too.

Put Staubach or Stabler - or especially Fouts - on the 70s Steelers, and they're still going to win four Super Bowls. Bob Griese is another member of the "I just happened to be on this team" club. When the 72 Dolphins went undefeated, he only started five games in a 17-0 season.

The Dolphins still won all the ballgames.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Put Staubach or Stabler - or especially Fouts - on the 70s Steelers, and they're still going to win four Super Bowls. Bob Griese is another member of the "I just happened to be on this team" club. When the 72 Dolphins went undefeated, he only started five games in a 17-0 season.

I think Aikman deserves more credit than that. I think what we are seeing with Brady we saw with Aikman. I’m not talking about stats or talent, I’m talking about unmeasurable things. Yes Brady had an average to poor day yesterday, but we are talking about a 7-9 team last year that is playing out of their minds going to the Super Bowl. We are talking about players taking big pay cuts and coming out of retirement to be in Tampa this year. Brady maybe over the hill but he still brings a winning culture. Had he gone to the Falcons, Titans, or Saints then we are still probably talking about a team playing out of their mind.

I still think Aikman kept the Cowboys from revolting after Switzer was hired. Even though Switzer and Aikman never liked each other. Had Aikman dipped and went to someone like the Browns (about to be the Ravens), Patriots, Steelers, or Giants after Switzer was hired then all of those teams are probably enjoying one more SB trip than they have.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think Aikman deserves more credit than that. I think what we are seeing with Brady we saw with Aikman. I’m not talking about stats or talent, I’m talking about unmeasurable things. Yes Brady had an average to poor day yesterday, but we are talking about a 7-9 team last year that is playing out of their minds going to the Super Bowl. We are talking about players taking big pay cuts and coming out of retirement to be in Tampa this year. Brady maybe over the hill but he still brings a winning culture. Had he gone to the Falcons, Titans, or Saints then we are still probably talking about a team playing out of their mind.

I still think Aikman kept the Cowboys from revolting after Switzer was hired. Even though Switzer and Aikman never liked each other. Had Aikman dipped and went to someone like the Browns (about to be the Ravens), Patriots, Steelers, or Giants after Switzer was hired then all of those teams are probably enjoying one more SB trip than they have.
Aikman was good enough that I'm not going to say anybody could have done what he did.

On the other hand......I think you'd be hard-pressed to ever say at any time in his career Aikman was one of the three best QBs in the NFL, either.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Those Cowboys had the best o-line, RB, FB, WR1, WR2 and TE in the NFL when Aikman was there. He was one piece, and not even the most important one. Smith was the most important one. Football was different back then.

Reactions: selmaborntidefan

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Those Cowboys had the best o-line, RB, FB, WR1, WR2 and TE in the NFL when Aikman was there. He was one piece, and not even the most important one. Smith was the most important one. Football was different back then.
From what I have read, when Jerry canned Jimmy for Barry there were numerous near revolts and Aikman compromising with a person he truly hated kept the team together. Numerous Cowboys have said this. That is power. They probably eat themselves alive without Aikman and probably doesn’t reach Super Bowl 30.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
From what I have read, when Jerry canned Jimmy for Barry there were numerous near revolts and Aikman compromising with a person he truly hated kept the team together. Numerous Cowboys have said this. That is power. They probably eat themselves alive without Aikman and probably doesn’t reach Super Bowl 30.
Stories - I am talking about what we know. All we know is what we saw on the field.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Will the Bucs be allowed to shoot their cannon? While they are on their home field, I do not think they should be allowed home perks.
I doubt it. The only stadium I have ever been to that did a home tradition salute during a neutral site game was the new Georgia dome. In the NCG vs Georgia when Georgia scored the 1st td they blew the Falcons horn.

But i think the cannons will only be fired if the Bucs win.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa

Fouts on the 70s Steelers would have been like Mac Jones on the 2020 Tide.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.