Baseball HOF has 0 inductees this year

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have seen the list and it is a lot of steroid era guys. So let me get this straight. None of those guys can get in, but the guy that oversaw that era sure let's put him in no problem.
These guys do not deserve to get in. What has happened before or after has no relevance.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I guess I just quit caring all that much.

I can see all sides of the argument. Hell, I'VE BEEN on all sides of the argument.

"Steroids is cheating" (while undoubtedly true)......guys have been cheating since the very first baseball game trying to get an edge and win. I'm no longer quite sure how folks arbitrarily draw the line at "well, this cheating is okay but this is not." I'm disparaging anyone, honestly. I just don't know anymore.

However......the name of the game for the every day player is getting on base, usually being successful with either a hit or a home run. We have a hall of fame museum in this country that denies entry to the guy with the most home runs AND the guy with the most hits. I "get" the "honor" aspect of it, I do.

But when you have a museum for your sport and you don't induct those two guys......what exactly is your museum?

I'm not even arguing in favor of entry for anyone nor against anyone, it's a philosophical thing I guess.

Schilling's case is interesting because I'm convinced that the personal equation keeps him out ONLY because he's a borderline case as it is. Let me put it this way: if Roger Clemens's big sin was saying stuff Schilling has, he'd be in the Hall because Roger has the solid credentials otherwise (I'm assuming no roids of course).

And to me, the Hall died the day they inducted Harold "What The Hell Am I Doing Here" Baines. At least the other insanely bad choices played so long before my time, I never had to contemplate how bad they really were.

The IDEA of putting Baines in over Dale Murphy was so preposterous, I still cannot get over it. I'm not even arguing IN FAVOR of Murphy, but he was a much better player than Harold F Baines.

There ain't a single guy in the 1980s who would have taken Harold Baines over Dale Murphy at any time during that decade. In the 90s, sure, but it's not like Baines was adding to some Tony Gwynn level numbers. Not even Tony LaRussa if given a choice of the two would have picked Baines, and he was his damn manager.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I have seen the list and it is a lot of steroid era guys. So let me get this straight. None of those guys can get in, but the guy that oversaw that era sure let's put him in no problem.
That's such a valid point, and I'd probably sign off on it if I could be persuaded that Bud Selig actually had any power to do anything about it (he didn't).

Now, I'm not letting the OWNERS off the hook here, either; they KNEW. I mean, they KNEW and they DIDN'T CARE, and they pocketed huge sums of money from what they benefited from the Steroid Era, and then they had dramatic religious conversions and got all morally righteous all of a sudden.

But it's not like the commissioner's office is what Judge Landis held in between the world wars, either. Selig could pontificate and condemn all he wanted, but unless both the owners and the players signed off on drug testing, there wasn't much he could do. I'm NOT saying he was some innocent guy sitting by himself, but the notion he had some sort of magical power that could have stopped it is laughable.

Reactions: B1GTide

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Here is a good question and I will give 92.9 The Game in Atlanta for posing it. If Andruw Jones and Dale Murphy played for the Yankees would they already be in? I think we all know the answer to that.

• Thank You
Reactions: B1GTide

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Hank Aaron is still the homerun king. I don't care if bonds hit 2,000 homeruns.
If we're going that route then I'll point out Ruth had a better AB/home run than anyone who ever played - including Bonds and Aaron - other than McGwire. And Ruth had almost 2300 more at bats and a batting average 79 points higher than McGwire did.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Yet some will yell to no end that steroids do not help you hit homeruns. REALLY??
Steroids don't help you hit the ball. I can take a bunch of steroids, and I'm not going to magically transform into Chipper Jones at the plate. Hell, I won't even transform into Rafael Belliard (as a hitter), heh heh.

But let's be honest: if the players didn't THINK they got an advantage, they wouldn't take them, either.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.