Games That Felt "Rigged" By Suspiciously Convenient Calls

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
And the reality is.....we should have won every single one of them since 2002.

There'd be a couple of more fired coaches if we had.
But we have credible posters and writers who still believe Tennessee is one coaching hire away from closing the gap between them and us. Despite 20+ years of proof that it’s a dead program. Between Tennessee and the Mississippi schools the Mississippi schools are actually better jobs with less money.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Not in 2009, no. If it was 1995 Nebraska surviving a close call or 1996 Nebraska needing a little assist to beat Texas then yes.

I think what you're saying (correct me if I'm wrong) is that the PERCEPTION is that it's closer to ensuring a particular outcome (e.g. rigging) than without replay.

I think it depends on the replay, but yes.

Fact is certain teams pretty much ALWAYS seemed to get the benefit of the doubt pre-replay. It's harder to pull a flat out "well, we all know Team A is BETTER than Team B so let's call it for them."

This is the 1977 AFC Championship. Quality isn't the best. Go to the 8:28 mark and watch what happened.

The Broncos wind up scoring a TD and win the game at the end by 3. Rob Lytle HIMSELF admitted he fumbled the ball because....he was actually knocked unconscious.

I'm no Raiders fan, but that was hardly fair. And it had the net effect of stopping a potential Raiders repeat championship. Of course, the counter is that the Raiders got handed the game vs the Patriots in 1976.
okay I think I can explain it this way. Any questionable catch prior to replay you can say “maybe the ref didn’t see it”, but every one after it there really isn’t any shadow of a doubt on what it should be.

Okay why is one ruled a catch after replay and the other two are not. They are the same type of play. It leads you to believe the NFL takes certain measures to have certain results.

Back in the day all 3 would be catches because no one would have the guts to call it otherwise. But it’s odd that it’s when it’s a SB that the call is suddenly upheld. Not when the NFL is trying to save us from a Tony Romo-Russell Wilson NFCCG, or a call that would send the Patriots to the #3 seed. It’s only when Philly is going up in a SB with plenty of time remaining in the game.

My point is it feels rigged when reviews of the same play are ruled differently. Human error is no longer an excuse that can be used like it was back in the pre replay era.

Last edited:

Bidgoodman

BamaNation Citizen
May 4, 2013
I seem to recall as a freshman that fall going to the Coliseum to watch Alabama play the Soviet team only a few months after the Olympics. My memory (always a fallible thing across that many years) is that the place was packed for an exhibition game, the crowd booed almost everything the USSR did, and Alabama almost won.
You are right that it was a packed house. I attended that game and took my nephew. Bama led by 7 points with about 40 seconds to play. The Russians scored. The Russians intercepted our inbounds pass and scored again. Two more inbounds, interceptions, and scores later the game ended with Bama a one point loser. I was so embarrassed and discouraged. I haven't been to a Bama basketball game since.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
You are right that it was a packed house. I attended that game and took my nephew. Bama led by 7 points with about 40 seconds to play. The Russians scored. The Russians intercepted our inbounds pass and scored again. Two more inbounds, interceptions, and scores later the game ended with Bama a one point loser. I was so embarrassed and discouraged. I haven't been to a Bama basketball game since.
I guess they were "letting us win" until the end. They were flipping coins on how to beat us with 10 seconds left. 3 inbound steals won.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
That was the first Alabama game I watched with my Dad. I was only 7 years old and didn’t understand a lot about football, yet. I remember my Dad was mad as hell, and cussed a lot!

I'll tell you what sticks out about the Don Denkinger game.

I was raised to not blame officials when you lose because in a lot of cases - most of them, in fact - it detracts from the honor of competition and the accomplishment of your opponent. I was on a Boy Scout camporee when the Denkinger play happened - in fact, we tuned in a transistor to listen to the Cards win the Series or so we thought, starting our listening in the ninth inning.

The next night, Dad was at home watching game 7 while we attended our pastor's 40th birthday celebration at the church. We got home and the Cards were down, 5-0. My old man was coming absolutely unglued (he would turn 40 one month to the day after the Royals won game 7). I'd never seen anything at all like it. He absolutely was coming unhinged about Don Denkinger, who was working home plate for game 7 and wound up throwing Whitey Herzog and Joaquin Andujar out of the game.

Eight nights later, the St Louis football Cardinals played the Dallas Cowboys, and there are a REALLY bad call that went in the Cardinals' favor. Al MIchaels was working that game just as he worked the Denkinger game, and he mused, "Well that makes up for the call in the World Series." My Dad never missed a beat - "Only if the football team actually wins the Super Bowl!"

He would always painstakingly point out to me that in virtually every case you can name, the TEAM did things wrong that cost themselves the contest, too. (This thread, of course, is about instances at the conclusion of most contests where there was no time to right things). Fans will forgive two dozen missed blocks by the same offensive lineman to pin the loss on an official.

But the night Denkinger was behind home plate in Game 7, he was ranting like I've never seen before. Or since.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
But we have credible posters and writers who still believe Tennessee is one coaching hire away from closing the gap between them and us. Despite 20+ years of proof that it’s a dead program. Between Tennessee and the Mississippi schools the Mississippi schools are actually better jobs with less money.
Closing the gap is possible with one good hire. Removing the gap . . . Well, that's a different story.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Closing the gap is possible with one good hire. Removing the gap . . . Well, that's a different story.
Closing the gap for Tennessee is probably the Butch Jones era at best. I keep hearing folks talk about Nashville, but after two great recruiters and a few very happy meals it seems to be a wives tale at best. Tennessee is a slightly better version of Nebraska but plays in a league of monsters.

Even a Nick Saban and Urban Meyer would struggle at a program like Tennessee. For Tennessee to succeed they need 2 of their 3 biggest rivals to be down and have a national recruiter as a HC. More or less it’s an uphill battle at best.

buckeyeFB_

3rd Team
Jun 24, 2019
It wasn't a rigged game, but the worst call I've ever seen was the ref giving Michigan the 1st down vs South Carolina in the Outback Bowl when everyone could see it was not a 1st down as there was 2 inches between tip of ball and the marker. Clowney rectified things the next play, but that was just bad.
I remember that -- definitely one of the strangest calls I've ever seen.

TUSKaloosa

3rd Team
Aug 18, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
The 'kick six " game. AJ McCarron was in another world that day or the kick six would have never happened. He played stellar all year but not this game. The "rig" was up in the stands as AJ's girl friend.......... his mind was definitely in the stands. And, AJ proved that after the game. As leader of the team he should have ran to his teammates to be with them after that shock but instead he ran to the muffin in the stands.

• Wow
Reactions: The Ols

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
The 'kick six " game. AJ McCarron was in another world that day or the kick six would have never happened. He played stellar all year but not this game. The "rig" was up in the stands as AJ's girl friend.......... his mind was definitely in the stands. And, AJ proved that after the game. As leader of the team he should have ran to his teammates to be with them after that shock but instead he ran to the muffin in the stands.
Huh? As I recall AJ had a great IB. Loss wasn't on him at all.

Came down to Bama suddenly forgetting how to kick a FG and an absolutely awesome but flukey final few seconds.

TUSKaloosa

3rd Team
Aug 18, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Miss St VS Notre Dame girls basketball natty... 2018. Notre Dame literally tackled the Miss St player who had the ball at the end of the game and no foul was called and ND gets the ball and wins the game. I had no interest but still PO'ed me as it was so obvious.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
AJ McCarron
17 of 29
277 yards
3 TD
0 INT
91.2 QBR

What game were you watching?

Alabama gained over 100 more yards than Auburn did, had fewer turnovers, had the ball longer, too. McCarron wasn't playing on the defense that gave up 296 rushing yards, wasn't playing on the offensive line that got beat on the fourth down go for it to Yeldon, and wasn't kicking field goals.

What in the world are you talking about????

TUSKaloosa

3rd Team
Aug 18, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
This was a not so classic one.

Brought from this site: https://freerepublic.com/focus/chat/2367146/posts

Beano Cook pointed out several years ago that Penn State used to quite literally have refs cheat for them. That is such a radical statement I was surprised he said it on national TV.
He showed a particular play in which an Alabama receiver caught a game winning TD pass. The ref ruled him out of bounds and he must have been six feet inside the line.
It turned out the ref who made that call had a Son playing For Penn State.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
This was a not so classic one.

Brought from this site: https://freerepublic.com/focus/chat/2367146/posts

Beano Cook pointed out several years ago that Penn State used to quite literally have refs cheat for them. That is such a radical statement I was surprised he said it on national TV.
He showed a particular play in which an Alabama receiver caught a game winning TD pass. The ref ruled him out of bounds and he must have been six feet inside the line.
It turned out the ref who made that call had a Son playing For Penn State.
If you don't know the names involved here...just saying'...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.