DeVonta Smith (and Waddle!) apparently stated he preferred Mac over Tua at Senior Bowl

TIDETOWN

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 5, 2007
Last edited by a moderator:

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
It’s a little unfair when we don’t know how Tua would’ve progressed mentally had he been in an offense where he would’ve had more reads than he did in Locksley’s. That being said, I would prefer the guy who got me the ball 100+ times in a season as well.
Sark was the OC with Tua as a starter in 2019. Maybe Mac was able to progress more since he had 2 years instead of Tua just having one. I think some of if likely comes from Tua tending to want the 'home run' more where Mac was more willing to make the next read / check down.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
It’s a little unfair when we don’t know how Tua would’ve progressed mentally had he been in an offense where he would’ve had more reads than he did in Locksley’s. That being said, I would prefer the guy who got me the ball 100+ times in a season as well.
Your last sentence says it all...Tua had more options...after JW went down MJ's were limited. I still can understand this...MJ could drop the long ball on a dime.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Very true, and that was because when Tua was here Jerry Jeudy was the main target and DeVonta had to play second fiddle. So I don't hope DeVonta holds it against Tua for not getting him the ball more. It was the OC's decision to try and get the ball to Jeudy.

Reactions: Padreruf

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Locks encouraged Tua’s bad tendencies instead of correcting them. I remember after the national championship game vs Georgia CNS wasn’t exactly glowing with praise for Tua in the way that you would expect. He was harping on that horrible interception he threw more than the game winning Touchdown. The interception was 100% on Tua for trying to make a play that wasn’t there instead of throwing it away and play for another day. It nearly costed us the ball game but lucky for us Hand’s head got in the way of Fromm’s throw.

Had Daboll or Sark been there in 2018 then I have no doubt one of those years we have a Heisman qb and 1 more NC. But what we got was a lot of anxiety. When Tua rolled out you knew it was going to be a pick or a trip to the medical tent. There were so many times from the stands you could see Bama receivers wide open 5-10 yards but Tua was waiting on Jerry or Waddle for a home run.

Fair or not fair we have what have in comparisons between the two. Mac distributed the ball far more effectively than Tua to far more people.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Locks encouraged Tua’s bad tendencies instead of correcting them. I remember after the national championship game vs Georgia CNS wasn’t exactly glowing with praise for Tua in the way that you would expect. He was harping on that horrible interception he threw more than the game winning Touchdown. The interception was 100% on Tua for trying to make a play that wasn’t there instead of throwing it away and play for another day. It nearly costed us the ball game but lucky for us Hand’s head got in the way of Fromm’s throw.

Had Daboll or Sark been there in 2018 then I have no doubt one of those years we have a Heisman qb and 1 more NC. But what we got was a lot of anxiety. When Tua rolled out you knew it was going to be a pick or a trip to the medical tent. There were so many times from the stands you could see Bama receivers wide open 5-10 yards but Tua was waiting on Jerry or Waddle for a home run.

Fair or not fair we have what have in comparisons between the two. Mac distributed the ball far more effectively than Tua to far more people.
So I agree with everything here except what I bolded. We really don't know that Locks encouraged it versus just was not able to correct it. Sometimes a players bad tendency / habit can take a long time to change.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
So I agree with everything here except what I bolded. We really don't know that Locks encouraged it versus just was not able to correct it. Sometimes a players bad tendency / habit can take a long time to change.
When Lia is exhibiting the same type of problems under Locks then it’s pretty safe to assume that Locks had a big part of it. Locks’s offense is basically score every play.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.

1. Bringing up the throw in the National Championship game is just nit-picking Tua. First pressure packed / meaningful game he had ever been in. We don't win the National Championship game vs Georgia without Tua and the plays that he made that game.

2. Saying when Tua rolled out "it was going to be a pick or trip to medical tent" is another poor attempt to knock Tua. He only had 11 int's in 684 pass attempts - one every 62 passes. He threw a TD pass once every 8 attempts. I would say he had more int's in the pocket than rolling out but very few either way.

3. Tua distributed the ball very well also.

2018 receptions (Tua Primary QB): Jeudy 68, Ruggs 46, Waddle, 45, I. Smith 44, D. Smith 42, D Harris 22, & Jacobs 20.
2019 receptions (Tua Primary QB): Jeudy 77, Smith 68, Ruggs 40, Waddle 33, N Harris 27, Forristal 15, & Robinson 11.
Some of those in 2018 and 2019 were thrown back Mac.
2020 receptions (Jones Primary QB) : Smith 117, Metchie 55, N Harris 43, Waddle 28, Bolden 24, Forristall 24, & Billingsley 18.

Tua ands Mac were both excellent college QB's. They both had their strengths and weaknesses. You don't have to knock one down to praise the other.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
1. Bringing up the throw in the National Championship game is just nit-picking Tua. First pressure packed / meaningful game he had ever been in. We don't win the National Championship game vs Georgia without Tua and the plays that he made that game.

2. Saying when Tua rolled out "it was going to be a pick or trip to medical tent" is another poor attempt to knock Tua. He only had 11 int's in 684 pass attempts - one every 62 passes. He threw a TD pass once every 8 attempts. I would say he had more int's in the pocket than rolling out but very few either way.

3. Tua distributed the ball very well also.

2018 receptions (Tua Primary QB): Jeudy 68, Ruggs 46, Waddle, 45, I. Smith 44, D. Smith 42, D Harris 22, & Jacobs 20.
2019 receptions (Tua Primary QB): Jeudy 77, Smith 68, Ruggs 40, Waddle 33, N Harris 27, Forristal 15, & Robinson 11.
Some of those in 2018 and 2019 were thrown back Mac.
2020 receptions (Jones Primary QB) : Smith 117, Metchie 55, N Harris 43, Waddle 28, Bolden 24, Forristall 24, & Billingsley 18.

Tua ands Mac were both excellent college QB's. They both had their strengths and weaknesses. You don't have to knock one down to praise the other.
1) CNS brought it up on SEVERAL occasions of that one pick after the NCG. Meaning he thought it was a horrible pick. It’s not nit picking to say that if we didn’t get lucky that Hand’s head didn’t get in the way of Fromm’s throw that it could’ve put the game away. Keep in mind they were on our side of the 50 when that play happened.

2) how many times did he get hurt rolling out? Pretty much every injury he had was playing hero ball running out of the pocket.

3) It’s not knocking Tua to praise Mac by saying that Tua never progressed Year 2 to 3 and he was playing on pure talent. Tua never developed into reading defenses and still has that problem today. It’s a fact. Had Tua had a better coordinator in 2018 then Tua would probably be better than what he ended up being.

Comparing both Tua is far more talented than Mac, but Mac is better at being a quarterback. Couldn’t go wrong with either.

Last edited:

jjv0004

1st Team
Dec 13, 2017
Greenville, SC
I thought Tua was amazing and would go down as the best Bama QB of my lifetime. Having said that, Mac Jones was better this year. I also think Mac will end up being the best Bama pro QB since Starr, Namath and Stabler.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I love both guys but I'm way past tired of people trying to retroactively knock Tua down for some reason.

The quality of play from both was just exemplary the last 3 years.

Tua 2018 and 2019:

245 of 355 (69%) for 3,996 Yards at 11.2 YPA w/ 43 TD's to 6 INT's w/ a QBR of 199.4

180 of 252 (71.4%) for 2,840 Yards at 11.3 YPA w/ 33TD's to 3 INT's w/ a QBR of 206.9 (Highest Ever Unofficial)

Mac 2019 and 2020:

97 of 141 (68.8%) for 1,503 Yards at 10.7 YPA w/ 14 TD;s to 3 INT's w/ a QBR of 186.8

311 of 402 (77.4%) for 4,500 Yards at 11.2 YPA w/ 41 TD's to 4 INT's w/a QBR of 203.1 (Highest Ever Official)

Both guy's names are all over the record books in either 1st or 2nd place......

Single Season Records:

Passing Yards

1) Mac Jones - 4,500 (13 Games)
2) Tua Tagovailoa - 3,996 (15 Games)

3) Blake Sims – 3,487

Passing TD’s
1) Tua Tagovailoa - 43 (15 Games)
2) Mac Jones - 41 (13 Games)
3) Tua Tagovailoa - 33

Career Records:

Passing Yards

1) AJ McCarron – 9,019
2) JPW – 7,924
3) Tua Tagovailoa – 7,442
4) Brodie Croyle – 6,382
5) Mac Jones - 6,126

Passing TD’s
1) Tua Tagovailoa - 87

2) AJ McCarron - 77
3) Mac Jones - 56

Single Game Records:

Passing Yards in a Game

1) Scott Hunter - 484
2) Mac Jones - 464
3) Blake Sims - 445
4) Tua Tagovailoa - 444
5) Mac Jones – 435

Passing TD’s in a Game
1) Tua Tagovailoa – 6
2) Tua Tagovailoa – 5 (3 Times)
2) Mac Jones – 5 (3 Times)

Most Games with 400+ Yards Passing – Mac 1st (5 Times) Tua 2nd (3 Times)
Most Games with 300+ Yards Passing – Mac 1st (10 Times) Tua – 1st (10 Times)

Most Games with 5+ TD Passes – Mac 2nd (3 Times) *Tua – 1st (4 Times)
Most Games with 4+ TD Passes – Mac 2nd (9 Times) *Tua – 1st (12 Times)
Most Games with 3+ TD Passes – Mac 2nd (12 Times) *Tua – 1st (17 Times)

All this to say it's really splitting hairs to find a big difference between them.

They are without question the Best two to ever play QB for Alabama... Both won 1 National Championship on the field.... both will play and start in the NFL as former 1st Rd Draft picks and both guys were within an eyelash of winning the Heisman.

But I just do not understand people trying to diminish Tua's career in any way.... to me it's disgusting.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.