2021 Prospect: 2021 Recruiting Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think the schools typically can only pay for an OV but the rules may have changed due to Covid.
I think that this is what the family was trying to take advantage of. If the schools can't pay, I wonder how that might impact his decision to visit all of these schools.

Reactions: TiderJack

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I think that this is what the family was trying to take advantage of. If the schools can't pay, I wonder how that might impact his decision to visit all of these schools.
I have no idea the status of his family wealth but with him coming from the west coast the cost to travel to Columbus and Tuscaloosa would be significant if by air. Cheaper if they drove but that would be time consuming. Thinking if he does make trips he will do it all at one time to each campus.

Reactions: CB4 and B1GTide

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I have no idea the status of his family wealth but with him coming from the west coast the cost to travel to Columbus and Tuscaloosa would be significant if by air. Cheaper if they drove but that would be time consuming. Thinking if he does make trips he will do it all at one time to each campus.
Airfare certainly wouldn’t be cheap but I travel by air somewhere almost every week. Prices are down by about 40-50% since Covid, even booking inside the two week advance fare window.
Booked two weeks out a round trip (Seattle to Bham) can be found for as cheap as $275 -$300 (each) maybe even less. That is even mid week fare (usually even more expensive due to business travel).
Not cheap, but much more affordable than in past years.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Airfare certainly wouldn’t be cheap but I travel by air somewhere almost every week. Prices are down by about 40-50% since Covid, even booking inside the two week advance fare window.
Booked two weeks out a round trip (Seattle to Bham) can be found for as cheap as $275 -$300 (each) maybe even less. That is even mid week fare (usually even more expensive due to business travel).
Not cheap, but much more affordable than in past years.
They are talking about taking all of their visits - not just to Alabama and Ohio State. That translates to more than $10k easily.

• Wow
Reactions: Con

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
They are talking about taking all of their visits - not just to Alabama and Ohio State. That translates to more than $10k easily.
Then you don’t take them all. There are dozens of top prospects that made only one or two visits before making a decision. Narrow it to a couple (Bama & tOSU), go from one to the next in a couple of days.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Then you don’t take them all. There are dozens of top prospects that made only one or two visits before making a decision. Narrow it to a couple (Bama & tOSU), go from one to the next in a couple of days.
I get that, but this is probably a huge disappointment for them.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I get that, but this is probably a huge disappointment for them.
I just went this week B’ham-Indianapolis-Denver-Bham. Left Monday and heading home as I write this. Airfare, rental cars, hotels (3-4 rated hotels) meals and my expenses for the week were a shade under $1000. Yes I do get corporate rates, but I also spend on higher end rental cars and rooms than most.
He could hit two campuses (accompanied by one parent or guardian) easily for less than $2000 if they planned correctly. Do that twice and you’ve hit four and in under $5000.
Not cheap by any means, but can be done.

EDIT: forgot to add my rental car I turned in this morning, so closer to $1150 for the week.
My point is that travel in the Covid world is a lot cheaper than a year ago. This trip would have easily over $2000 last year before the pandemic.

Airlines are hurting and trying to fill seats. Hotels are at 50% occupancy or less. Food costs are up some most everything else in lower. People that couldn’t afford to fly a year ago are taking advantage. There are deals to be had.
I just had something come up in, of all places, Lake Charles, LA. I had to book a flight yesterday to fly down Tuesday and return Wednesday. The cost? $245. That flight a year ago inside the two week window and mid week would have been $600 minimum.
I get it. If you don’t have the money, you don’t have the money. My only point is that it is much more “reachable” today for some than a year ago.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I just went this week B’ham-Indianapolis-Denver-Bham. Left Monday and heading home as I write this. Airfare, rental cars, hotels (3-4 rated hotels) meals and my expenses for the week were a shade under $1000. Yes I do get corporate rates, but I also spend on higher end rental cars and rooms than most.
He could hit two campuses (accompanied by one parent or guardian) easily for less than $2000 if they planned correctly. Do that twice and you’ve hit four and in under $5000.
Not cheap by any means, but can be done.

EDIT: forgot to add my rental car I turned in this morning, so closer to $1150 for the week.
My point is that travel in the Covid world is a lot cheaper than a year ago. This trip would have easily over $2000 last year before the pandemic.

Airlines are hurting and trying to fill seats. Hotels are at 50% occupancy or less. Food costs are up some most everything else in lower. People that could afford to fly a year ago are taking advantage. There are deals to be had.
I just had something come up in, of all places, Lake Charles, LA. I had to book a flight yesterday to fly down Tuesday and return Wednesday. The cost? $245. That flight a year ago inside the two week window and mid week would have been $600 minimum.
I get it. If you don’t have the money, you don’t have the money. My only point is that it is much more “reachable” today for some than a year ago.
That's not bad but if his family is living paycheck to paycheck that is a tough pull (again I have no idea of his family's financial situation).

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Here is a Fansided article about JTT with some comments from a national recruiting analyst. Appears it will be between us and OSU and Bama is picking up some momentum according to the analyst.
He may be right, but his reasoning couldn't be more wrong. If you are an edge rusher and want to be taken high in the NFL draft, you go to OSU. Period. There isn't a close second. Larry Johnson is the best in the business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.