DeVonta Smith (and Waddle!) apparently stated he preferred Mac over Tua at Senior Bowl

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I would say the exact same thing for the guy that helped me win The Heisman & a NC in my last year of college..

It was obvious Mac & DeVonta had a special chemistry that doesn't come along very often..

Reactions: Con

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Watching the season again, I had forgotten how much Metchie was involved with the offense. He was very impressive.
This is what I am doing now. It is very enjoyable knowing how things ended and hearing what the announcers are saying during the broadcast. This team came a long way even though they were good at the beginning of the year.

• Roll Tide!
Reactions: The Ols

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I would say the exact same thing for the guy that helped me win The Heisman & a NC in my last year of college..

It was obvious Mac & DeVonta had a special chemistry that doesn't come along very often..
Here is a pic of a post /corner route. The safety starts outside the hash and moves inside the hash as the play develops . (Safety not pictured) , Mac reads the safety and throws the ball before Devonte makes his break!
9EF53EA9-0A10-4784-ACF5-7F5CB23A1035.jpeg
Devonte makes the same read and the result is a 35 yard completion!

83F94A57-63BE-4378-A341-4455A73F3A0B.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Roll Tide!
Reactions: TideMan09

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Maybe Devonta agrees with me and simply thinks that Mac is the better QB - he is a straight-shooter.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I didn't know where to put this and I didn't want to start a new thread, but this one seems as good as any. I'm working at home today, so I've got the tv on. I rarely watch during the day. I picked Pro Football Talk on NBC Sports. It's Chris Simms and some other yokel talking head blabbering on about the QB Draft class coming up. They've got Chris Simms's list of top 6 QBs and they are discussing each one. This is his list:

1. Zach Wilson, BYU
2. Trevor Lawrence, Clemson
3. Mac Jones, Alabama
4. Kellen Mond, Texas A&M (LOLOLOLOL)
5. Justin Fields, Ohio State
6. Trey Lance, North Dakota State

First of all, Mond in the top 6 and above Fields is hilarious. And they are talking about him presently. Anyway, both of them lauded Jones's strengths. The accuracy, the movement in the pocket, the brains and processing his reads quickly and accurately. Because he didn't have the same scrambling ability as Wilson and Lawrence, they rated him lower. But still, a high first round pick. Anyway, what got me, and what is the point of my post, is they lamented how he looked in his uniform. In other words, he didn't look cool. He looked a bit out of shape. The yokel opposite Simms actually questioned his commitment to football and wondered whether he was one offseason from not being able to fit in his uniform anymore.

Who are these clowns? Do they even watch college football? First of all, Jones has been at Alabama for four years and graduated early with a damn Masters degree. He's never been out of shape. His commitment to his duties shouldn't be questioned. Second, the dude has taken a beating at times, especially during his time last season, and bounced right back up every time and threw darts.

Put him at 3rd in the QB list if you like. But don't make an idiot out of yourself and get caught up with how someone looks in their uniform and question whether or not he is going to pig out in the offseason and show up out of shape and unable to play. Damn. NFL "experts" are some of the most ignorant people I've encountered.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
...Anyway, what got me, and what is the point of my post, is they lamented how he looked in his uniform. In other words, he didn't look cool. He looked a bit out of shape. The yokel opposite Simms actually questioned his commitment to football and wondered whether he was one offseason from not being able to fit in his uniform anymore...
This is like a chapter out of Moneyball. The scouts ignore the evidence of the hard stats (such as a player's OBP, OPS, etc.) and instead obsess about the evidence of their eyes (baseball bodies and "the good face"). Billy Beane referred to the practice among his scouts with the derogatory, "selling jeans."

If you don't know what the leading indicators of success are, in any endeavor, you're unlikely as a manager to make the decisions that lead to success or, as an analyst, to predict others' success. Based on the numbers, Mac was the best QB in CFB this season, and it wasn't particularly close. Sunshine, again based on the numbers, was barely a top-10 QB, and while he may turn out to be NFL Hall of Fame, it's difficult not to conclude that hype around him is more based on how he looks than on how he has performed...

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
This is like a chapter out of Moneyball. The scouts ignore the evidence of the hard stats (such as a player's OBP, OPS, etc.) and instead obsess about the evidence of their eyes (baseball bodies and "the good face"). Billy Beane referred to the practice among his scouts with the derogatory, "selling jeans."

If you don't know what the leading indicators of success are, in any endeavor, you're unlikely as a manager to make the decisions that lead to success or, as an analyst, to predict others' success. Based on the numbers, Mac was the best QB in CFB this season, and it wasn't particularly close. Sunshine, again based on the numbers, was barely a top-10 QB, and while he may turn out to be NFL Hall of Fame, it's difficult not to conclude that hype around him is more based on how he looks than on how he has performed...
One of the knocks on Mac was that he was surrounded by so much talent relative to his competition.

Yet the gap between Sunshine's teammates and his/their competition was FAR wider than Mac's.*

*until the postseason, that is, and that's when Sunshine looked particularly mediocre.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I remember reading crap that went as far as scouts basing decisions based on how the guy’s girlfriend looked. If he didn’t have a hot girlfriend then he didn’t have confidence.

I think scouts have gotten a lot better after they royally screwed up on missing Tom Brady, but draft analysts have gotten far worse in evaluating talent.

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
Your last sentence says it all...Tua had more options...after JW went down MJ's were limited. I still can understand this...MJ could drop the long ball on a dime.
I agree, but it is the very point that makes me wonder why experts say he has limited arm strength. From the throws he makes, it seems like he has phenomenal arm strength

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
It could be they both preferred Mac because of his personality/attitude. Mac was always the underdog, the "other" guy. Tua came to Bama with a lot of hype out of HS, expected to start right away and was a bit upset when he didn't. When he did finally start and made some great plays it was sort of expected because everyone knew he was good. Mac didn't come to Bama with that kind of fanfare and he seemed to be very patient in a backup role and didn't really complain much that I know about. When he finally did play he shocked many people who thought he wasn't that good. We are in a somewhat similar position now with Bryce Young getting all the attention and Paul Tyson expected to be the backup. While I expect great things from Young I imagine their is a fair share of Bama fans hoping Tyson wins the QB competition, not so much because he's Bryant's great-grandson but because he's less heralded than Young. Tyson is the underdog or the "other" QB in this case and many people like pulling for the underdog.

Reactions: Padreruf and Con

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.