General SEC Tournament Thread...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I thought we could use this. I notice that Rece had us probably playing UK, winners over MSU, in game #2. That worries me just a bit. They're playing better now, not so much like five one on ones. Here's some interesting data from Teamrankings.com. You can back up one tier to get the same for any of the other SEC teams...

Teamrankings

Bama75&80

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 5, 2019
Does anyone know if the SEC automatic qualifier is the regular season champ or the tournament champ. I’m having a little trouble finding what the SEC decided. Thanks 😊

bama_fan01

Hall of Fame
Aug 25, 2003
Ranburne, AL, USA
Does anyone know if the SEC automatic qualifier is the regular season champ or the tournament champ. I’m having a little trouble finding what the SEC decided. Thanks 😊
I was wondering the same thing. I though I had read somewhere that the regular season winner would get an automatic bid, but I could be wrong.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
I thought we could use this. I notice that Rece had us probably playing UK, winners over MSU, in game #2. That worries me just a bit. They're playing better now, not so much like five one on ones. Here's some interesting data from Teamrankings.com. You can back up one tier to get the same for any of the other SEC teams...

Teamrankings
I think it will be KY facing Bama, also. KY is looking dangerous.

Reactions: seebell

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
If we don't find a magic cure for our turnover problem we will not win the SEC Tourney and will not go far in the Big Dance. We are talented and play hard, but we are sure hard to watch with all the turnovers....CM is spinning in his grave.
This team can look so out of control sometimes and THEN come back to impress me with their streaks. They keepp you watching cause one never knows when they will "kick in".

Who is CM?

Reactions: LA BamaCarl

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
If we don't find a magic cure for our turnover problem we will not win the SEC Tourney and will not go far in the Big Dance. We are talented and play hard, but we are sure hard to watch with all the turnovers....CM is spinning in his grave.
We play the 8th fastest tempo in the country. 7-10 more possessions per game. We will have more turnovers.

This is not CM basketball. This is more Marymount than anything CM or Wimp ever played.

21-6

Please look at that number. That’s Alabama Basketball.

This is like when we whine about our defense after going undefeated and winning a NC.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
We play the 8th fastest tempo in the country. 7-10 more possessions per game. We will have more turnovers.

This is not CM basketball. This is more Marymount than anything CM or Wimp ever played.

21-6

Please look at that number. That’s Alabama Basketball.

This is like when we whine about our defense after going undefeated and winning a NC.
I get that...and I love the won-lost record. I just know that with a little more "care" -- not slow down -- we have the talent to win easily. Still, 20+ turnovers is a lot...even if you're in a track meet.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I get that...and I love the won-lost record. I just know that with a little more "care" -- not slow down -- we have the talent to win easily. Still, 20+ turnovers is a lot...even if you're in a track meet.
What's noteworthy is that it's mostly our guards, who are supposed to be the best ball-handlers on the team...

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I am fairly certain it is the SEC tournament champion for the automatic bid. KY is counting on that as their only hope.
This is 100% correct. Only tournament champions get auto bids. Regular season champ means little more than bragging rights and seeding in the conference tournament.

Considering though the regular season champ typically has the best record in the league, they are usually enough of a lock for the tournament that it doesn’t matter either way.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
What's noteworthy is that it's mostly our guards, who are supposed to be the best ball-handlers on the team...
Particularly yesterday it was simple carelessness with the ball. No court awareness and realization that Georgia guys were behind them as they were dribbling up the court.

But this is how we've been for weeks now. It's who we are. What defines us, however, is defensive effort and intensity. That has not waned at all since the the turn of the calendar. Even when we start slow, which seems to happen in early starts on the road (and I have to be wary of our start times in the SECT) we recover well and get things straightened out.

We are 21-6. We are one of the top 10 teams in America. And I think we'll play like that in Nashville. Kentucky will definitely be playing for their lives, Arkansas is red hot. There will be obstacles. But I love where we are at right now.

Reactions: BamaMike05

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Guards will have more turnovers, though.

There's a stat called assist to turnover ratio. Great ball handlers are 3+. John Stockton was almost 4.0 for his career, the NCAA leaders are 3+. Herb is 1.3. JQ is 1.18.

• Thank You
Reactions: seebell

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
At least Bama is on the plus side in turnover margin. But Super UGH with the some of the boneheaded turnovers Bama commits...

I hope there is not a slow start with Bama's first tournament game. It will be nice to have fresh legs and maybe another step up in player health for some of the ones still below 100%.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
One reason we don’t see Oats go nuts over turnovers, I think, is because it speeds up the tempo.

Look at the first five minutes of the second half as an example. 4-5 turnovers yet went from 6 down to up by 7-8

Reactions: DocCrimson

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Reactions: Bama75&80

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
really would hate the matchup with Kentucky. good individual talent on that team. at the same time, they are capable of losing to Miss State. Despite what some talking heads are saying i think if we can win the SEC tourney we will have a shot at a 1 seed depending on what Illinois does. JMO

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.