News Article: Alabama, You've Done it Again, Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Alabama's newest senator:

Alabama senator suggests delaying the inauguration — not realizing the date is in the Constitution

On Thursday, WKRG reported that Sen. Tommy Tuberville (R-AL) suggested pushing back the inauguration date for President-elect Joe Biden during an interview in which he also claimed that impeaching outgoing President Donald Trump "makes no sense."

The problem? That's unconstitutional.

"Tuberville ... questioned the timing of the inauguration on January 20," said the report. "'We probably could have had a swearing-in and inauguration later after we got this virus behind us a little bit. Again, we're talking about Washington, D.C.,' Tuberville said. However, the 20th Amendment to the Constitution requires that the inauguration and swearing-in of a new President take place on January 20th. It wasn't clear if Tuberville was aware of that during the interview."

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
A thread from a Tennessee politics page popped up in my Facebook feed the other day because a high school classmate had commented on it. The story was about Tennessee’s Republican congressional delegation being all in for Trump. One name (that I was unfamiliar with) was mentioned in the headline.

Her comment was that they were all terrible for being Trump suck ups. (She is quite liberal and was strongly for Clinton in 2016 and was more anti-Trump than pro-Biden this time). I replied that I would trade Mo Brooks for the guy in the headline. (We grew up in what is now Mo’s district). I even offered to throw in Tubby.

She passed on the offer.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Thing is the constitution, quite on purpose, doesn't require a inauguration at all. The swearing-in, which is constitutionally required, can take place anywhere, as in the redo of Obama after the CJ screwed up. I wouldn't mind if it were completely canceled..

Section 1. The terms of the President and Vice President shall end at noon on the 20th day of January, and the terms of Senators and Representatives at noon on the 3d day of January, of the years in which such terms would have ended if this article had not been ratified; and the terms of their successors shall then begin.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I.Love.It. The sooner we call out the "Mo Brooks'" of the world, the sooner we will return to being a healthy democracy. I just hope that isn't beyond us...I pray that isn't beyond us.
I thought (and said here) Mo was an embarrassment long before January 6. Hopefully this will get the people there to support someone who primaries him. But this being Alabama everyone will have forgotten this by 2022 and he wins easily. He probably could win Shelby’s seat if he retires.

Reactions: seebell and B1GTide

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Tubby doing us proud in his first floor speech.

• Smash Keyboard
  • Haha
Reactions: seebell and B1GTide

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Tubby doing us proud in his first floor speech.

Yeah, I listened to it. Sounded like it was the first time he'd ever seen the text of his own speech.

• Haha
Reactions: seebell and 92tide

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
  • Haha
Reactions: PaulD and B1GTide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.