COVID-19 Vaccine Issues and New Poll Part III

Will You/Have You Take a COVID-19 Vaccine?

• I am smart and will take whatever vaccine is offered to me as soon as I can get it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only an idiot would refuse a vaccine without a valid medical reason and I'm an idiot.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • I actually have a valid medical reason AND my medical provider has advised against vaccination.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • I have received the first of my two doses.

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • I have received both doses or one dose of the J&J.

Votes: 27 75.0%
  • I'm still not sure. (please post concerns in comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Time to put up a new thread. I'll lock this one until we exhaust the other thread. The last page of the Part II thread can be found here.

The changes brought by the vaccines have been huge. Cases, hospitalizations, and deaths are down and the difference is staggering. The pandemic is not over by a long shot and there are still plenty of concerns going forward, but it not only feels that the pandemic is being brought under control - the statistics are beginning to support that notion.

For that we can thank both changes in behavior after a huge surge in cases, hospitalizations, and deaths following a string of fall and winter holidays but also the arrival of the vaccines.

But just like the end of a war, someone will be the last to die - don't be that person, or the person 10,000x removed from that person.

As of this moment the Johns Hopkins tracking site has the U.S. death toll at 542, 949. Unfortunately, this is well within the range of deaths predicted at the onset of this pandemic, but it's not over yet. Not since the 1918 H1N1 Flu pandemic has the U.S. seen such a toll. Unfortunately, that number is still an undercount and does not include those who died from other causes but for which COVID-19 contributed to those deaths by causing delays in treatment.

Vaccinations are happening by the boatload now. More and more are accepting the vaccines, replacing earlier hesitancy with a new confidence based on the experiences of tens of millions of Americans and the pace of vaccinations is only accelerating. The frustrations of short supplies are giving way to the elation of higher demand coupled with increasing supply and easing eligibility. Many locations have already or soon will open vaccinations to all age groups authorized to receive a vaccine. Trials are underway in younger age groups and if things continue going well there will be vaccines to meet the coming new eligibilities.

We are truly living in an amazing time when we can produce a vaccine in less that a year of a new pathogen being discovered. This does not represent a shortcut or a compromise in safety, but rather decades of advancing science and technology. Just as few before 1896 (year the automobile was invented) or 1913 (year Ford changed manufacturing with the moving assembly line) could have predicted just how profoundly those breakthrough would change the world forever, few in 1954 (Salk vaccine) could have predicted what we are seeing today. mRNA vaccines are another step in that direction and so are viral vector vaccines.

Every vaccine authorized in the U.S. is perfect or near perfect in preventing hospitalizations and deaths in those who are fully vaccinated (those who are two weeks past their last dose of vaccine).

We are seeing loosening of restrictions for the fully vaccinated, thanks to the success of these vaccines; and this is supported soundly and resoundingly by the science. Tens of millions can now SAFELY gather WITHOUT masks or distancing with family and friends for the first time in a year or more, though the old rules still apply in public. Many are experiencing relief from worry over their own health and that of their loved ones and a new confidence that they have reached safety, finally.

But this is no time to forget to look out for others. Since it's still possible for a vaccinated person to be unknowingly infected and transmit the virus to someone who isn't so lucky we must still continue basic precautions in public.

I encourage you to get your vaccine(s) as soon as you are able. It's OK to still have questions and concerns - that's normal. It's not OK or normal to be against vaccines since they have saved more lives than any other single medical advancement in the history of mankind. It's not OK to spread misinformation and discourage others from being vaccinated.

Poll is open. Answers are private. Answers may be changed as your situation changes.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
fyi to all georgia folks. tons of appointments every day at the benz when i checked earlier this week

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
OK so dose 2 has hit me pretty hard. Woke up this morning with congestion, fever, a dull headache and various aches and pains. No shortness of breath, loss of taste and smell, etc. Feels like a head cold. Wife is fine except for injection site pain like last time.
you sure it wasn't that four pack of ten-fidy you chugged last night?

• Haha
Reactions: AUDub

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
OK so dose 2 has hit me pretty hard. Woke up this morning with congestion, fever, a dull headache and various aches and pains. No shortness of breath, loss of taste and smell, etc. Feels like a head cold. Wife is fine except for injection site pain like last time.
I keep saying that women are tougher than we are. I had mild to moderate side effects, while my wife had virtually nothing.

Reactions: MobtownK and 92tide

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
OK feeling way better now. Might be the advil but more likely the 24 hours is almost up. Going back in to work tomorrow.

By way, the anti-vax buzzwords you will be hearing in the near future are antibody-dependent enhancement, pathogenic priming and cytokine storm. Those are bouncing around Twitter a bit. All of these were accounted for in the studies for the vaccines so pay them no mind. The process was accelerated, yeah, but closely monitored.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Almost 24 hours since my second shot. Other than a really sore arm no side effects. I did have a light headache. We’re renovating at the church building and have painters in doing work. From the smell of paint I’ve had one of those every afternoon for a week. So might not be vaccine related. Did take two rounds of extra strength Tylenol just as a precaution.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I thought a billion vaccinations had been given worldwide so far, but this NYT vaccine tracker say only 488 million. Zero deaths to my knowledge. Maybe when 489 million have been administered the moron Republicans will come around. I'm at the point where I don't care. Once everyone that wants a vaccine has it, I'm for opening the doors and letting the morons fall where they may.

I don't know if this NYT vaccine tracker has been posted before, but it's an interesting page with links to their other statistical pages.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Once everyone that wants a vaccine has it, I'm for opening the doors and letting the morons fall where they may.
Once those who wish to be protected have been, we really have to let those who do not wish to be protected take their chances. I support all of the measures taken because we need to protect those in need, but once that happens, choices and consequences are all that remain.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
same here. we got ours at the benz an hour ago. super fast and efficient process. parked, got registered and vaccinated and 15 minutes wait in about 40 minutes total.
I was able to e-check-in before I got there. I walked right in waited all of 5 minutes. They had me wait 15 minutes after for observation.

FYI - I got the Pfizer shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.