Spring Practice Thread

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Does anyone know who all is injured/not practicing right now? I think I saw Moore is still hurt but are any other starters missing?

Really interested to see who replaces Surtain and then the WRs. I think maybe Metchie is out right now which should help get those young guys more reps.

• Thank You
Reactions: The Ols

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Does anyone know who all is injured/not practicing right now? I think I saw Moore is still hurt but are any other starters missing?

Really interested to see who replaces Surtain and then the WRs. I think maybe Metchie is out right now which should help get those young guys more reps.
Metchie is not practicing.

Reactions: RollTide_HTTR

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA

Yeah, Metchie is out along with Ekiyor, and Phidarian Mathis. I think Pierce Quick is out also.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Yeah, Metchie is out along with Ekiyor, and Phidarian Mathis. I think Pierce Quick is out also.
Metchie, Ekiyor and Mathis have nothing to prove, and have been in the program for several years. It may be a needed rest for them.

Quick, on the other hand, needs the reps. Hate it for him that he’ll miss the spring.

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
Wish Metchie was available for spring. I'm sure he knows the general offense, perhaps minus changes O'brien brought in, but there was room for improvement in his ability to consistently catch the ball. By the time fall gets here he may be having to look over his shoulder at the new guys wanting his job.

I want to know who's making a move at punter and long snapper.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Wish Metchie was available for spring. I'm sure he knows the general offense, perhaps minus changes O'brien brought in, but there was room for improvement in his ability to consistently catch the ball. By the time fall gets here he may be having to look over his shoulder at the new guys wanting his job.

You make two good points.

Metchie was bad to occasionally drop, and that was with two different QBs (Tua and Mac) who threw the most accurate, most catchable passes I’ve seen in almost 60 years as an Alabama fan.

While he may not be able to go through the practices, I’m betting he’s in the skull sessions and pass-catching drills. Not the same as running routes on the field, but it’s something.

Like you, I’m also curious about punter and LS.

We haven’t been even mediocre at punter since JK Scott graduated. Sometimes, I‘ve thought there has to be somebody on the IM fields that would be better.

And we’re hopelessly spoiled at LS. We’ve been so good at that spot for so long, I can’t remember the last time I gave any thought whatsoever to the first part of the snap - hold - kick sequence.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Yes, I'm pumped that this freshman group of receivers may remind us of a recent heralded group. It seems impossible they could be as good as Smith, Ruggs, Juedy and Waddle, but if they can just be in the ball park vacinity of being that good, Metchie may look up and say "What happened?"

FWIW, I figure he's pretty established in the rotation for early next year, but if these freshmen come on strong who knows what'll happen as games start to get played and they get experience?

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Here was Saban's presser from today (3/30). Starts at 2:50 mark

sounds like Kool Aid will be a contributor this year if he keeps progressing.

—- Too bad Camar Wheaton with his speed wasn’t on campus this spring, he may have had a chance to do some slot work with Nick’s desire for more speed !

- I believe Nick could have been a successful basketball coach if that was his desire. The things he brought up about recruiting young basketball talent, it makes me think he has a real interest in the basketball teams success and will help CNO anyway he can including recruiting. Also, that made me think that perhaps 2020-21 will do for the basketball team what 2008 did for the football team!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.