Spring Practice Thread

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
We are going to have to be really patient as fans this year, as our offense will probably be a work in progress. We were spoiled by Tua's immediate success...remember that MJ had 3 years of growth before he saw the field for any meaningful pt. I am sure our WR's will be fine...but they cannot be in the class of the 17 group...that was once in a lifetime.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
What about the 3 freshmen? Was under the impression there is elite speed there. I realize it'll take a while, but also the fastest transition from HS to College ball can be made at receiver.
I've heard the same...but I don't count anyone until I see them on the field. We've had experience with supposed great WR's who were coming...LOL!

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Baker, Metchie and Bolden don't look to be on the same level of the guys we've had and definitely don't have the same type of speed.
Baker is a strong route runner with short burst. He's not fast, but he's crisp with his route. Runs 4.88
Metchie is that guy who can get open, but can be inconsistent. Runs 4.60
Bolden- Is good, solid option. Can get open. Reminds me of Wes Welker. Run 4.69 Wes welker ran 4.65.

Those are solid option and The freshmen has a chance to be real good, and might see significant playing time as the season goes along. The current core, Baker, Metchie and Bolden can get the job done, but I still think we need to add a burner and that may be leary. I think we'll have Patriot offense that works up the field with right receivers. WE'll still take a shot down the field, just not as much as Mac did.

Reactions: 92tide and B1GTide

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
We are going to have to be really patient as fans this year, as our offense will probably be a work in progress. We were spoiled by Tua's immediate success...remember that MJ had 3 years of growth before he saw the field for any meaningful pt. I am sure our WR's will be fine...but they cannot be in the class of the 17 group...that was once in a lifetime.
I just get the impression that our Defense will be much stronger this year. Any loss in offensive production will be overshadowed by stifling play on D. At least, that is how I read it.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
One thing ya'll forgot to mention: K. Robinson. He has been practicing with RBs and WRs. I wouldn't be shock to see him lining up as WR.

His speed is 4.34 seconds
I think he'll be more needed in the slot...
I just got visions of Kenyan Drake lining up against UF!!!

With KRobs speed and size he could be a terror in the slot!

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I think we are more than fine with the talent at WR... here are everyone's 40 times for whatever that's worth.

2018 WR Class:
Xavier Williams - 4.52 40yd

2019 WR Class:
John Metchie - 4.60 40yd

2020 WR Class:
Javon Baker - 4.52 40yd
Thaiu Jones-Bell - 4.44 40yd
Traeshon Holden - 4.54 40 yd

2021 WR Class:
JoJo Earle - 4.34 40 yd
Christian Leary - 4.39 40yd
Jacorey Brooks - 4.83 40yd
Agiye Hall - 4.50 40 yd

Only 2 guys have a time 4.6 or higher......Three players are sub 4.5 and two of those are sub 4.4

Our Avg WR speed is 4.52... I mean that's plenty fast enough.

Speed isn't everything though as evidenced by last year's YPC leaders.

Would you believe me if I told you Metchie was 2nd on the team in YPC and DeVonta Smith was 4th??

Waddle (21.11 YPC)
Metchie (16.65 YPC)
Billingsly (15.94 YPC)
Smitty (15.86 YPC)

At this point we know that Metchie and Billingsly are playmakers.... we just need a couple more guys to emerge and I'm sure they will.

I agree that the 2017-18 group will never be matched.... it truly was a once in a lifetime group... but we're still loaded with talent at the position.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think we are more than fine with the talent at WR... here are everyone's 40 times for whatever that's worth.

2018 WR Class:
Xavier Williams - 4.52 40yd

2019 WR Class:
John Metchie - 4.60 40yd

2020 WR Class:
Javon Baker - 4.52 40yd
Thaiu Jones-Bell - 4.44 40yd
Traeshon Holden - 4.54 40 yd

2021 WR Class:
JoJo Earle - 4.34 40 yd
Agiye Hall - 4.50 40 yd

Only 2 guys have a time 4.6 or higher......Three players are sub 4.5 and two of those are sub 4.4

Our Avg WR speed is 4.52... I mean that's plenty fast enough.

Speed isn't everything though as evidenced by last year's YPC leaders.

Would you believe me if I told you Metchie was 2nd on the team in YPC and DeVonta Smith was 4th??

Waddle (21.11 YPC)
Metchie (16.65 YPC)
Billingsly (15.94 YPC)
Smitty (15.86 YPC)

At this point we know that Metchie and Billingsly are playmakers.... we just need a couple more guys to emerge and I'm sure they will.

I agree that the 2017-18 group will never be matched.... it truly was a once in a lifetime group... but we're still loaded with talent at the position.
I don't think any of them have demonstrated the hands the departed bunch possessed. However, it's still early...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
2021 WR Class:
JoJo Earle - 4.34 40 yd
Agiye Hall - 4.50 40 yd

I agree with your last statement about those 4 guys, however, with the track record we now have with receivers, if anybody could pull another class like that it is CNS. He's proven he can take multiple elite receivers and make them happy, all at once.

And this has a corresponding impact on our QB recruiting too. We are starting to pull in the best QBs and best WRs and they just make each other look really good.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I agree with your last statement about those 4 guys, however, with the track record we now have with receivers, if anybody could pull another class like that it is CNS. He's proven he can take multiple elite receivers and make them happy, all at once.

And this has a corresponding impact on our QB recruiting too. We are starting to pull in the best QBs and best WRs and they just make each other look really good.
No doubt CNS can continue to get 5 Star and high 4 Star WR's to come in together.

I mean just look at the most recent group...

Jacorey Brooks - 4th WR
JoJo Earle - 5th WR
Christian Leary - 7th WR
Agiye Hall - 14th WR

FOUR Top 15 WR's in one class is SICK.

But.... for 3-4 guys to all become actual 1st Round NFL Draft picks together and 2 of them both win the Biletnikoff and not to mention a WR winning the Heisman and all the other POY awards that Smitty won....?

I just can't see that ever happening again.... not for any team....ever.

Smitty, Jeudy, Ruggs, and Waddle were a SPECIAL group. All Time in the history of CFB special. I mean it as a compliment to them more than a knock on future groups.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
They are not, but they are dependable guys who don't drop passes. You need one or more of these true freshmen to have an impact if you are looking for speed or quickness this year.
Both Metchie and Bolden DO drop passes, especially Bolden at a higher rate. Bolden also has been fumble-prone at this point but his sample size has been small, so maybe he has cleaned that up.

I don’t think most Bama fans think the WR’s will be bad, just not as exceptional as the past 13 years. It will affect the O in multiple ways but it does not mean it will not be a good offense. A different and shorter ball-control passing game may be the approach.

The original point was regarding BY being necessary to facilitate the O, which is true but I offered my opinion that BY would not be the limitation but more likely the WRs.

CNS’s comments throughout the Spring have supported this view. Again, it doesn’t mean the O will not be good or that Bama will struggle to complete a pass but if the current trends continue, the passing game and O will not be as seemingly effortless as the last 4 years. Nor does it mean that Bama is not one of the legitimate favorites to win another SEC title or NC.

Btw, IMO, Earle looks like he can be very special. If so, that could change things.

Reactions: tideindc

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Baker is a strong route runner with short burst. He's not fast, but he's crisp with his route. Runs 4.88
Metchie is that guy who can get open, but can be inconsistent. Runs 4.60
Bolden- Is good, solid option. Can get open. Reminds me of Wes Welker. Run 4.69 Wes welker ran 4.65.

Those are solid option and The freshmen has a chance to be real good, and might see significant playing time as the season goes along. The current core, Baker, Metchie and Bolden can get the job done, but I still think we need to add a burner and that may be leary. I think we'll have Patriot offense that works up the field with right receivers. WE'll still take a shot down the field, just not as much as Mac did.
i loved watching the osu db underestimate bolden's speed on his td

Reactions: Rush and The Ols

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
No doubt CNS can continue to get 5 Star and high 4 Star WR's to come in together.

I mean just look at the most recent group...

Jacorey Brooks - 4th WR
JoJo Earle - 5th WR
Christian Leary - 7th WR
Agiye Hall - 14th WR

FOUR Top 15 WR's in one class is SICK.

But.... for 3-4 guys to all become actual 1st Round NFL Draft picks together and 2 of them both win the Biletnikoff and not to mention a WR winning the Heisman and all the other POY awards that Smitty won....?

I just can't see that ever happening again.... not for any team....ever.

Smitty, Jeudy, Ruggs, and Waddle were a SPECIAL group. All Time in the history of CFB special. I mean it as a compliment to them more than a knock on future groups.
Hard to argue with any of your logic and you are probably right. But those "SPECIAL" group names you mention were all just names of potential stars in the beginning. Gradually, we got word from practices that each of these had special talents but they really did not bear out overnight. I just think the offense in general will be so different this year and we'll be relying a lot on the ground game and easy reads to the tight ends and running backs at first. Then, watch out for some young receivers streaking wide open down the field. I bet there will be 3, maybe 4 dogs emerge from that group as household names by the end of the season.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
They are not, but they are dependable guys who don't drop passes. You need one or more of these true freshmen to have an impact if you are looking for speed or quickness this year.
We`ll have to see if any of the freshmen bring something akin to what Waddell and Smith brought. I`m also beginning to wonder if a package that had both Billingsley and Latu ( based on reports ) on the field at the same time wouldn`t be interesting.

Reactions: RiverTide

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
What about the 3 freshmen? Was under the impression there is elite speed there. I realize it'll take a while, but also the fastest transition from HS to College ball can be made at receiver.
That`s it and why I`m not inordinately worried about WR. I personally think the biggest deal will be the O line from tackle to tackle. Get that sorted out and gelled and we`ll be fine on O.

• Roll Tide!
Reactions: The Ols

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
A day will give us a better idea. I'm excited to see Baker. Could see our WR group being better by the end of the year with some of the young guys taking on bigger rolls

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.