SEC baseball update

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
There were a couple extra inning games going on simultaneously last night. SEC Network gave it bonus coverage after the regularly scheduled Georgia at Texas A&M game ended.

Kentucky blew a 6-3 lead in the 9th at Auburn but came back and got 2 in the 10th to beat Auburn. Auburn is the only SEC team to not yet win in conference play.

Florida and South Carolina played a thriller into the early morning in Columbia. Back and forth game and tied up at 7 after 9. No one scored until the 14th when Florida hit a home run that just barely got over the wall in centerfield. The Gamecocks were down to their last strike in the bottom half of the 14th, but they went yard to rightfield to tie the game again. Then a single up the middle and a double into the rightcenter gap gave South Carolina the win. 9-8.

I am not looking forward to facing Vanderbilt pitching as no one in the SEC should be. Leiter pitched 7 innings of no-hit ball. That plus his 9 inning no-hitter last weekend gives him 16 hitless innings pitched in SEC play. Missouri was the victim this time. Vandy almost got the combined no-hitter but that was broken up in the 9th and the Tigers did score 3. 11-3 was the final.

Texas A&M beat UGA 6-3, Tennessee beat LSU 3-1, and Arkansas beat Miss State 8-2.

Reactions: Blindside17

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
Vandy swept Mizzou this weekend. No surprise really.

But South Carolina sweeping Florida after the dramatic extra-inning victory in the opener was surprising.

Tennessee swept LSU, a little bit of a surprise.

In the misery-loves-company department, Alabama (even with the terrible conference start) is just 1 game out of 3rd in the SEC West. Thanks to Arkansas sweeping Miss State, Kentucky sweeping Auburn, and the aforementioned UT sweep over LSU. Texas A&M did win 2 of 3 from UGA, but they still are only a game up because of their sweep last week at the hands of Florida. Here's the standings after 2 weekends:

Ole Miss 6-0
Arkansas 5-1
Miss St 2-4
Texas A&M 2-4
Alabama 1-5
LSU 1-5
Auburn 0-6

Vandy 5-1
Tennessee 5-1
Kentucky 5-1
South Carolina 4-2
Florida 3-3
Georgia 2-4
Mizzou 1-5

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
My heart is broken by the way we have played so far. I don't care about how good the league is. We pitched great baseball in the double header and have nothing at all to show for it. i am not sure why Jean didn't pitch game #3, but if he is hurt that's two of our three weekend guys out.

I really thought we were ready to take a step forward, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
The SEC's 3rd weekend got off to a start on Thursday, April 1st.

Blowouts - Vandy 13, LSU 1 and Texas A&M 16, Missouri 2.

Miss State beat UK 8-1 but didn't break that one open until the 8th.

Florida downed Ole Miss 4-1, giving the Rebels their first loss.

And Auburn got its first win, 2-1 over Arkansas.

UT @ Bama, South Carolina @ UGA begin their series on Friday.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
5 series are complete this Easter weekend. Sweeps - Vandy over LSU, Miss State over Kentucky. 2 of 3 - Florida over Ole Miss, Arkansas over Auburn, Mizzou over Texas A&M.

Tennessee -Bama and South Carolina - UGA are 1-1 with series finale Sunday.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
Week 3 of SEC play is complete with 9-8 loss to UT and South Carolina beating UGA 5-1. Here's the updated standings. Top 12 teams go to Hoover. Alabama would be #12 right now, but it is way too early with 21 SEC games left.

Ole Miss 7-2
Arkansas 7-2
Miss St 5-4
Texas A&M 3-6
Alabama 2-7
LSU 1-8
Auburn 1-8

Vandy 8-1
Tennessee 7-2
South Carolina 6-3
Florida 5-4
Kentucky 5-4
Georgia 3-6
Mizzou 3-6

Next weekend: Georgia at Vandy (Thurs-Sat), LSU at Kentucky, Florida at Tennessee, Arkansas at Ole Miss, Miss State at Auburn, Mizzou at South Carolina, Alabama at Texas A&M.

• Thank You
Reactions: rolltide_21

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
This isn't a bad team, just one that tends to be unable to get the timely hit, the big out, or make the key defensive play - and it changes from day to day as to which of those things gets them beat. The one trait I appreciate is that they don't quit. I still believe better days are forthcoming with Coach Bo.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
This isn't a bad team, just one that tends to be unable to get the timely hit, the big out, or make the key defensive play - and it changes from day to day as to which of those things gets them beat. The one trait I appreciate is that they don't quit. I still believe better days are forthcoming with Coach Bo.
I am not as discouraged this weekend. Our lineup can be dangerous, defense was really good today and I saw a little bit out of some of those inexperienced arms to give me hope that the bullpen can improve.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
SEC Weekend #4 -

Georgia 14-2 over Vandy (Thurs.) and Vandy 5-2 over Georgia (Fri.)
Tennessee 6, Florida 4
LSU 15, Kentucky 2
Miss State 6, Auburn 5
Missouri 7, South Carolina 2
Alabama 5, Texas A&M 3
Arkansas/Ole Miss postponed

A couple interested notes about Vandy-UGA on Thursday. UGA hit 3 homers off Rocker which is more than he had given up in entire collegiate career. Also UGA sent 9 men to the plate in the 7th without the benefit of a hit. 4 walks, hit batter, and an error.

I also saw where Roberto Vaz's son plays on the Vandy team. Sad that we can't get former players' kids.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
Saturday 4/10/21

Georgia 9, Vandy 1 - UGA 2 of 3.
South Carolina 11, Mizzou 1
Arkansas 7, Ole Miss 3 in Game 1 of DH, Ole Miss 13, Arkansas 6 in Game 2
Alabama 6, Texas A&M 3
Miss State 7, Auburn 2
LSU 8, Kentucky 6
Tennessee 5, Florida 4

Auburn continues to tighten their grip on last place in the SEC West. And Tennessee winning in anything reminds me how much I hate those 'necks.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
Sunday 4/12/21

South Carolina 13, Mizzou 4 - Gamecocks 2 of 3.
Florida 7, Tennessee 6 - Tennessee 2 of 3.
Kentucky 13, LSU 4 - LSU 2 of 3.
Alabama 7, Texas A&M 4 - Alabama sweep.
Arkansas 18, Ole Miss 14 - Arkansas 2 of 3.
Miss State 19, Auburn 10 - Miss State sweep.

Those last two scores hearken back to Sundays in the 1990s.

West Div.
Arkansas 9-3
Ole Miss 8-4
Miss State 8-4
Alabama 5-7
LSU 3-9
Texas A&M 3-9
Auburn 1-11

East Div.
Vanderbilt 9-3
Tennessee 9-3
South Carolina 8-4
Florida 6-6
Kentucky 6-6
Georgia 5-7
Missouri 4-8

Next weekend: Auburn at Alabama (Thur-Sat), South Carolina at LSU (Thur-Sat), Kentucky at Georgia, Missouri at Florida, Ole Miss at Miss State, Vandy at Tennessee, Texas A&M at Arkansas.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
'I also saw where Roberto Vaz's son plays on the Vandy team. Sad that we can't get former players' kids'.

Vandy has been the more accomplished program over the last decade or more. It is a shame but it's true that most good prospects would rather play at Vandy than Bama.

rtr

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
We've got 3 very winnable series coming up. I firmly believe AU is better than their SEC record to this point -- I think they're something like 1-6 in 1-run games, with another 2 losses by 2 runs, so 9 of 11 losses were 2 runs or less. So they've been right in the thick of every game.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
'I also saw where Roberto Vaz's son plays on the Vandy team. Sad that we can't get former players' kids'.

Vandy has been the more accomplished program over the last decade or more. It is a shame but it's true that most good prospects would rather play at Vandy than Bama.

rtr
This is true. We let the program slide and that's the results. But we're on the uptick.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
We've got 3 very winnable series coming up. I firmly believe AU is better than their SEC record to this point -- I think they're something like 1-6 in 1-run games, with another 2 losses by 2 runs, so 9 of 11 losses were 2 runs or less. So they've been right in the thick of every game.
Yep. We've got to play every game with a sense of urgency and not allow where they're at in the standings to dictate how well we play.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I saw a tweet from Alabama Baseball with the starting rotation for this weekend's matchup with Auburn: Ras on Thursday, Smith on Friday and... Connor Prielipp on Saturday - good to see him doing better and back in the rotation.

Reactions: ReturnToGlory

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.