Link: My worries coming true...

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Not only that, he's 21 years old....Little late to be raw.
We have to keep in mind that he missed time due to his health situation. I have to go back to see when he was actually cleared to play.

I didn't know that...
I didn't either ... he started 8 of the 32 games this past season. Part of that may due to the fact that his school played several opponents more than 2 times so it looks like they were giving everyone on the roster a chance to play.

The kid is an intriguing talent and has the ability to flourish in the right system. You can see the potential in him. Its just about finding the right fit. He's already had schools like Texas, UGA, Clemson, and Okie reach out to him.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
We have to keep in mind that he missed time due to his health situation. I have to go back to see when he was actually cleared to play.

I didn't either ... he started 8 of the 32 games this past season. Part of that may due to the fact that his school played several opponents more than 2 times so it looks like they were giving everyone on the roster a chance to play.

The kid is an intriguing talent and has the ability to flourish in the right system. You can see the potential in him. Its just about finding the right fit. He's already had schools like Texas, UGA, Clemson, and Okie reach out to him.
I don’t disagree at all that he is a special athlete. I feel bad for the kid because he wanted to be here. But, if you get kids like Gurley, Bediako, and Burnett that want to come here, you have to take them. Langston is a freak athlete. But his role was going to be in the dunkers spot, PNR, rim running, and, protecting the rim. Something Bediako will do. Plus we will have Tchikou Who is more skilled. He would have been a project on the offensive end.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I don’t disagree at all that he is a special athlete. I feel bad for the kid because he wanted to be here. But, if you get kids like Gurley, Bediako, and Burnett that want to come here, you have to take them. Langston is a freak athlete. But his role was going to be in the dunkers spot, PNR, rim running, and, protecting the rim. Something Bediako will do. Plus we will have Tchikou Who is more skilled. He would have been a project on the offensive end.
Oats’ outstanding effort on the recruiting trail caused us to skip right over the tier where you take a gamble on a raw kid betting you can coach him up during the season. There’s just plug n play guys out there who want to come, and you can’t pass that up.

Reactions: BamaMike05

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I agree on Tchikou, I think he's going to be an instrumental roleplayer/contributor with this team. He's been compared to Kevin Durant which is saying a lot.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
The way CNO plays the game, you need a deep bench. The intensity that team played with on the offensive and defensive ends of the floor was incredible. I think you welcome a breather. Heck, I got tired watching them.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
The way CNO plays the game, you need a deep bench. The intensity that team played with on the offensive and defensive ends of the floor was incredible. I think you welcome a breather. Heck, I got tired watching them.
It's a hard balance to maintain with only 13 spots though.

It's not outside the realm of possibility we'll have to process someone this year if Thor comes back. We're parked at 11 without him.

Reactions: bamamc1

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

I think as the season progressed the aggressiveness on defense really hurt the shooting stroke of the shooters....improved depth will allow them to not get as winded. I would love it if we could have JQ and Shack get 25 minutes and yet not sacrifice points/stats.....

I think that's a possibility.....

With regards to people seeing Davison move to the 2 guard when playing with JQ -- I think it's the other way around - I see JQ being the shooting guard -- and Davison being the drive to the rim guy.....

We've been eating at Golden Corral so long -- I'm not sure how to act at Ruth's Chris.....

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think as the season progressed the aggressiveness on defense really hurt the shooting stroke of the shooters....improved depth will allow them to not get as winded. I would love it if we could have JQ and Shack get 25 minutes and yet not sacrifice points/stats.....

I think that's a possibility.....

With regards to people seeing Davison move to the 2 guard when playing with JQ -- I think it's the other way around - I see JQ being the shooting guard -- and Davison being the drive to the rim guy.....

We've been eating at Golden Corral so long -- I'm not sure how to act at Ruth's Chris.....
I haven't seen enough about Davison to see how he distributes. I would like to see a true PG who balances distribution with driving to the rim. I'll confess to being just a little worried about having two PGs looking only to drive...

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I haven't seen enough about Davison to see how he distributes. I would like to see a true PG who balances distribution with driving to the rim. I'll confess to being just a little worried about having two PGs looking only to drive...
I saw that movie last year with James Harden and Russell Westbrook. It didn't end well.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Oh trust ... we already know that CNO won't play them if they don't execute the system. The focus is a healthy dose of driving and kicking out for the three OR driving to get the high percentage 2. And that can be accomplished with either them attempting it or passing it to the week side post player.

JD can do both, but I'm sure there's an adjustment to get used to the system. The reason JQ saw more playing time was when he started doing both successfully.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
I understand where you are coming from, but that dribble drive and attacking the rim is the basis of our offensive system. We run the dribble drive motion that was originally created by Vance Walberg at Pepperdine (although Calipari takes credit for it lol). Walberg calls it the “attack offense”.

The goal is to attack the elbows and get to the rim. If you don’t have the dunk or layup, kick it out to your options, based on where you are on the floor.

There are 3 zones on the court: 1) The breakdown zone (above the 3 point line) that’s where you are breaking down your man 2) The drop zone (around the elbow) thats where you decide to go to zone 3 or kick 3) The rack zone (in the paint) get to the rim and score or get fouled. (You can still kick out or drop it off to the big, but you better be heading to the rim while you’re doing it).

We have to have guards that are drive first for this system. That’s another reason Namari Burnett was an important get. He’s a combo guard, so is another PG on the floor. Again think “positionless basketball” We will typically have 4 combo guards and a big. Any of those 4 combo guards can technically be the “lead guard”

I would actually implore you guys to watch this video on the origin of our offense. Obviously we have modified and modernized it a little, but this is how it came about.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
True or not, the social media world is cruel.
I posted because of the implication that it was us that backed off. I don’t follow how that tidbit is social media being cruel. While that assertion is frequently true, I don’t follow it here

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I posted because of the implication that it was us that backed off. I don’t follow how that tidbit is social media being cruel. While that assertion is frequently true, I don’t follow it here
It was moreso the comment made by the poster. Made it seem like either the staff made the decision or is alluding someone in his circle did.. it just came off as an assumption that didnt have to be added to Wilson's post. I can see assumptions being made on fan forums... but its just weird to put that on Wilson's personal post. But posters have the right to share their feelings so it is what it is. Still was just weird to say on his post.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
It was moreso the comment made by the poster. Made it seem like either the staff made the decision or is alluding someone in his circle did.. it just came off as an assumption that didnt have to be added to Wilson's post. I can see assumptions being made on fan forums... but its just weird to put that on Wilson's personal post. But posters have the right to share their feelings so it is what it is. Still was just weird to say on his post.
I thought it odd that the poster had middle initial j last name Wilson. I briefly scanned his profile to see if there was any connection but didn’t see one. I thought the post sounded like inside info by the poster. Langston didn’t reply and correct him.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
His stats were decent with 10.1 points and 7.6 rebounds per game over 32 games played. I'm not sure about the level of competition he played against. I'd never heard of Georgia Highlands JUCO until we signed Wilson initially. The fact that he only started 8 games, in spite of his stats, indicates something was up with him. Perhaps, as someone else pointed out, it was his medical condition and we had to go a different direction because our medical staff would not clear him to play. Or it could have been something else. Perhaps we just had to make a tough decision to go with a player who is much more of a sure thing than one that may or may not develop into a player that will help us to win championships. I wish him well wherever he winds up.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.