From ESPN, a second pro day for Mac...

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I don't know enough about epilepsy or the severity of Field's case to have any idea, but I can't imagine that epilepsy and the potential for head injuries should commingle.
I had a friend that had it. I still don't know anything about it other than it is scary as hell to see an epileptic seizure up close. My friend eventually died from it in his 20's.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
They will whine about anything.................they dont want Mac to get drafted higher than any other QB because Bama beat UGA...........

In any case, I hate that for Fields................epilepsy is no joke and I wish him well
Mike Bell was particularly whiney about Mac today. He doesn't want the Failcons to draft Mac and cannot understand why any team might want to draft Mac before Fields. Now I really want Atlanta to draft Mac just to hear him lose his mind.

• Haha
Reactions: The Ols and B1GTide

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Apparently not leaked - basically every story I've read is saying Fields has informed teams of this.

Curious as to whether this will affect his draft status.
"Outgrowing" it is basically BS. It very rarely goes away on its own. Also, it's a spectrum of disorders which range all the way from very brief blackouts to totally disrupting a normal life. About a quarter of the time, they can't be controlled and, when they can, the meds can be very detrimental to an athletic career. In Alabama, you have to go 12 months without a seizure in order to have a driver's license. I really hate it for the kid, because this is a giant risk/reward factor in drafting...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't know enough about epilepsy or the severity of Field's case to have any idea, but I can't imagine that epilepsy and the potential for head injuries should commingle.
Since seizures are a major concurrent with CTE, it raises the question as to whether or not he should even have been playing. Or continuing. There are things more important than football...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
"Outgrowing" it is basically BS. It very rarely goes away on its own. Also, it's a spectrum of disorders which range all the way from very brief blackouts to totally disrupting a normal life. About a quarter of the time, they can't be controlled and, when they can, the meds can be very detrimental to an athletic career. In Alabama, you have to go 12 months without a seizure in order to have a driver's license. I really hate it for the kid, because this is a giant risk/reward factor in drafting...
Yah, in TN I think you have to go six months without a seizure to have your DL.

Doesn't seem like a safe 'risk' wrt a high draft pick to me, but I'm a medical moron, so...

Reactions: Con and B1GTide

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yah, in TN I think you have to go six months without a seizure to have your DL.

Doesn't seem like a safe 'risk' wrt a high draft pick to me, but I'm a medical moron, so...
I think there's been a lot of turmoil going on behind the scenes in this upcoming draft that few outside the NFL really knew about. I will say that, if he had been my kid, he would not have been playing football. Of course, he's nominally old enough now to make his own decisions...

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Mike Bell was particularly whiney about Mac today. He doesn't want the Failcons to draft Mac and cannot understand why any team might want to draft Mac before Fields. Now I really want Atlanta to draft Mac just to hear him lose his mind.
The funny thing is, they feel that way partially because he once played for UGA......... I’m sure Fields doesn’t remember his time there with much fondness

for the record, I don’t want the Falcons to draft Mac either.......... he deserves better than that train wreck of an NFL team

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
You can live a long life with the disorder. I lost a first cousin in the last year who had CP and major seizure disorder. She was 96. OTOH, I'm not too sure how it fits with having your head slammed on a regular basis...
That’s what I’m getting at. He’s played his entire career with this condition and I don’t recall having ever seen any indication that he’s had issues with it. How did he get to play in high school? What doctor signed off on him playing? Did the doctor omit the issue? Did the quack okay him playing? How many people had to be in on this secret for this long.

Reactions: seebell

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Me as well. For the life of me I cannot find anything spectacular about any of these other QBs. They are better than the rest, make no mistake. But I do not see a Russell Wilson or an Aaron Rodgers amongst this group. The people are acting like Fields and Lance are these amazing can't miss talents and I just don't see it. Also, the main knock on Mac, and they're making it now on Tua (I realize they did when he was drafted as well) is that Mac is throwing to 5 star talents that are wide open. So are you telling me that Fields was throwing to 2 and 3 stars? North Dakota State has won like 30 championships in a row but their talent is on par with their competition? Lawrence and Clemson face zero resistance in their conference schedule and he's throwing to elite talents and being blocked for by elite OLs.

The kid at BYU is probably doing more with less but the rest of these guys are all on super talented rosters relative to their competition.

This statement right here lets me know the people saying haven't watched any film of Mac's games. I can recall in the Kentucky game Mac rolling to his non-throwing side, and throwing a frozen rope to the back of the endzone to a WR that was covered like a blanket for a TD. The window he fit that ball into was the size of a cup cake carryout box. Look at the 00:36 mark of the video and tell me how "Wide open" the receiver is...

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I know nothing about epilepsy but I hope Fields will/can still safely play.

Selfishly i hope this means he falls to 19 (again assuming it really is safe for him)

Reactions: B1GTide

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
I bet if Myles Brennan had the same season as Mac and was talked about as a top 3 pick, Ryan Clark wouldn’t be saying this

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I imagine Mac and everyone else in this draft class is ready for this to happen. One thing is almost certain: he will get picked in the first round by someone, whether it's the third pick or the 32nd, and they will get a smart, very capable young man who goes through his progressions very quickly and throws the ball very accurately.

Last edited:
Reactions: Con

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.