Teams we have never played

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I was wondering how many of the current FBS programs we have never played so I did some digging and put together this list. These are schools we have never played at least once. I have them broken down by conference. If I have made any mistakes please let me know.

AAC (3)
UAB
UNC-Charlotte
UT-San Antonio

ACC (3)
Pittsburgh
Virginia
Wake Forest

Big XII (1)
Kansas

Big Ten (4)
Indiana
Iowa
Northwestern
Purdue

C-USA (3)
Jacksonville State
Liberty
Sam Houston State

Independents (2)
Connecticut
Massachusetts

MAC (9)
Akron
Ball State
Buffalo
Central Michigan
Eastern Michigan
Miami
Ohio
Toledo
Western Michigan

MWC (7)
Air Force
Boise State
Nevada
New Mexico
San Diego State
UNLV
Wyoming

PAC 12 (4)
Arizona
Arizona State
Oregon
Oregon State

Sun Belt (8)
Appalachian State
Coastal Carolina
James Madison
Marshall
Old Dominion
South Alabama
Texas State
Troy

By my count, there are 44 out of the other current 132 FBS members we have never played. (We play Arizona in 2032). Anyone on here you would like to see us play?

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Probably only the PAC-12 teams. Don't think we gain anything by playing any of the others. Remember Michigan vs. App State back in the day.
We got Arizona on the schedule far out.

I think out of those names only Iowa and North Western are the only ones that I wish we would play.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I forgot ULL got the big head and started calling themselves just Louisiana. The site didn’t have Georgia Southern on our list but we did play them in 2011.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I was surprised so many MAC teams are on the list. They are relatively close and only Buffalo is a recent addition to FBS. But I guess they prefer getting their checks from the Big Ten.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I was surprised so many MAC teams are on the list. They are relatively close and only Buffalo is a recent addition to FBS. But I guess they prefer getting their checks from the Big Ten.
They are scared to play in the south.

I think we were supposed to play Central Michigan last year, but covid killed that.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Ok I looked it up because I was sure we had a future schedule game with them. We were supposed to play them in 2023. https://www.mlive.com/chippewas/2018/06/central_michigan_football_to_p_1.html

It looks like that was cancelled. They no longer show up on our future scheduled games.
I wonder why. In 2023 we have USF and Texas scheduled out of conference. Still two games to fill, our earliest open dates. Their 2023 schedule is full, with a money game against Notre Dame.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I was surprised to see UAB, South Alabama and Troy. I thought schools from the same state would try to play once at least.
Aside from there being zero to gain from it, Troy only came up to FBS a little while ago (my cousin won a national title ring when they were all the way down in Division II in 1984).

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
In all honesty, the only "sort of" big names on there are Iowa and Oregon.

The only way we would have ever played Iowa was in a bowl game, and you then have to remember that most conferences refused to play Southern teams from right after WW2 until around 1970, when almost the whole SEC was finally integrated. Plus, the Big Ten and Pac 8 back then didn't play in any bowl games except the Rose, for which UA wasn't going to be selected.

Most of the rest of the names are general riff-raff or conference fillers to make sure there are enough teams for folks to play.

It would have been nice to play Oregon here in Dallas for the 2014 title, but oh well.

I think this era's "Alabama vs Oregon" is gonna be like the NFL's long-running "Buffalo vs San Fran" Super Bowl that never happened. There was a period of time when ONE of those teams made it every year for eight years, but BOTH never made it. Chris Berman picked that Super Bowl in 1988 and picked it every year through 1995. He may have picked it even longer, but I was no longer watching.

Reactions: tusks_n_raider

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
In all honesty, the only "sort of" big names on there are Iowa and Oregon.

The only way we would have ever played Iowa was in a bowl game, and you then have to remember that most conferences refused to play Southern teams from right after WW2 until around 1970, when almost the whole SEC was finally integrated. Plus, the Big Ten and Pac 8 back then didn't play in any bowl games except the Rose, for which UA wasn't going to be selected.

Most of the rest of the names are general riff-raff or conference fillers to make sure there are enough teams for folks to play.

It would have been nice to play Oregon here in Dallas for the 2014 title, but oh well.

I think this era's "Alabama vs Oregon" is gonna be like the NFL's long-running "Buffalo vs San Fran" Super Bowl that never happened. There was a period of time when ONE of those teams made it every year for eight years, but BOTH never made it. Chris Berman picked that Super Bowl in 1988 and picked it every year through 1995. He may have picked it even longer, but I was no longer watching.
The NFL holy grail SB that never happened was Brady vs Rodgers and Brady vs Brees. It almost happened so many times but the Packers and Saints kept choking.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The NFL holy grail SB that never happened was Brady vs Rodgers and Brady vs Brees. It almost happened so many times but the Packers and Saints kept choking.
That too.

I always thought it would have been hilarious if Buffalo played San Fran and you had former USFL QB Steve Young against former USFL QB Jim Kelly.

Something tells me a bunch of revisionism turning that downtrodden league into "they could have competed with the NFL" would have happened among the pundits.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.